What do you think about ultasonic cleaning ?

how clean is your house
georgesgiralt
France

What do you think about ultasonic cleaning ?

Post by georgesgiralt » 12 Apr 2019 17:21

HEllo !
I need to buy an ultrasonic cleaner for something not related to music.
I've found this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Profess ... st=ae803_5
And I wonder if it is useful to put the couple of extra Euros to get the vinyl record adapter ?
Is it risky or not ? Is it efficient to was and recover old abused vinyls ?
In other words, is it snake oil or useful ?
Thanks for your answer and advice !

vince1
United States of America

Re: What do you think about ultasonic cleaning ?

Post by vince1 » 16 Apr 2019 01:25

US cleaning is not snake oil. Probably the best method for cleaning really dirty records, provided you maintain proper frequency, time, and temperature. As for the actual device or brand, do your research.

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 16 Apr 2019 01:58

I got a unit that has a motorized LP "rotisserie" attachment for 5 (or fewer) discs. Using just distilled water @ room temp, 10 minutes of cleaning got out crud that nothing had been able to touch before. Several LP's that I thought were hopeless are now playable, and all of the ones I've cleaned sound better.

If you buy used vinyl you really need a good cleaning machine. Ultrasonic is my choice

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 16 Apr 2019 05:08

Thank you both for your answer.
For the brand, it's a Chinese one which I choose for the main duty it will get. And they offer an "Extra" for cleaning vinyls records... So I asked ;-)

chgc

Post by chgc » 17 Apr 2019 23:36

I put together a cheap (about $120) 40KHz record cleaner with a gear motor and various parts I had lying around. It seems to work quite well— the records come out looking clean and sounding better. But many used discs still sound crackly and/or distorted, even though they look good. I suspect these were groove damaged before I got them.

According to some people who probably know way more about the subject than I do, 60 or 80 KHz machines are better for cleaning records. I went with the 40 KHz unit because the price was much lower. But the thing makes an awful racket. I wear hearing protection when using it and have it set up in the garage.