Scrubbing Bubbles

how clean is your house
derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Scrubbing Bubbles

Post by derspankster » 06 Mar 2019 19:26

I recently bought two used records, sight unseen. When I received them I discovered they both were absolutely filthy. Their paper inner sleeves were torn as well. I set them aside until I had a few others that needed cleaning with my Spin Clean.

I got to thinking of something I'd read about using Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner to clean records. Since I didn't have much invested in the two dirty records I decided to give it a go. I placed a bed of paper towels on the kitchen counter and laid each on the bed and sprayed each side with the cleaner. I let it sit for a minute or so and then took another paper towel and gently worked the solution into the grooves moving with the grooves and not across them. When I had done both sides I rinsed them carefully under the faucet with simple tap water. Then I dried them with a lint free towel and set them aside to completely dry.

The results? Simply marvelous. At least as good as my Spin Clean - perhaps better. Aside for a few ticks, both disks are very quiet. These disks are 36 and 41 years old.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Re: Scrubbing Bubbles

Post by Jim Leach » 06 Mar 2019 20:38

Interesting... I have a few that I was saving for a "wood glue" cleaning I may try this first since it'll be faster and possibly less messy too.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 06 Mar 2019 21:36

Well, check back in 10 years and see if there hasn't been any adverse chemical reaction between da bubbles and da vinyl. Doesn't that stuff have bleach in it ? Among gosh knows what else.

Till then, I'll stick with time tested methods, even on cheap 2nd hand finds.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 06 Mar 2019 22:45

Bob Dillon wrote:
06 Mar 2019 21:36
Well, check back in 10 years and see if there hasn't been any adverse chemical reaction between da bubbles and da vinyl. Doesn't that stuff have bleach in it ? Among gosh knows what else.

Till then, I'll stick with time tested methods, even on cheap 2nd hand finds.
I'll be lucky if I'm alive in 10 years. If I am I likely won't give a damn.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 07 Mar 2019 15:19

Let's get the facts straight on this solution. While there are several varieties of SB (in different colored cans), their standard bathroom cleaner does not contain bleach. Rather, it is a mix of quaternary ammonium compounds (up to 0.4%) and EDTA (up to 5%) in an organic propellent carrier (Isobutane plus a glycol ether solvent, up to 20%). Folks know I am a proponent of using quat surfactants for record claning as they have good detergency, are biocides, and have antistatic properties. I've also suggested adding EDTA to solutions (though at much lower concentrations) where folks have hard water as it binds and helps remove divalent cations like calcium and magnesium. The problem with SB however are the propellent solvents, which make up the bulk of the mixture. Most glycol ethers are not compatible with PVC polymers (listed as having a"severe effect" on them). Also of concern is the caustic nature of the mixture (it is almost pH 12). Hence, while SB does work (I have experimented with it myself) I would not recommend it for collectible records and reserve the treatment (as I would the wood glue treatment) for those records that would otherwise be thrown out.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 07 Mar 2019 15:27

While I normally clean all my vinyl using my Spin Clean with their solution these two records posed a bit more of a challenge, being (as I stated) absolutely filthy. It was an experiment - and it worked! I didn't believe the Spin Clean would have done as well. I have since cleaned both with my Spin Clean.

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 07 Mar 2019 15:36

To emphasize my point on varying SB formulations, their "multi surface" version contains non-ionic surfactants (ethoxylated alcohols, not quats) and has a bunch of lactic acid that actually brings the pH to an acidic 2.4.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Mar 2019 22:00

Ya know, Frank did talk about this... :-k

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 10 Mar 2019 15:55

I going to kerosene exclusively. Did Frank talk about that too?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 26 Apr 2019 17:55

Which version of Scrubbing Bubbles did you use, Der? I looked under my bathroom sink and I have three different varieties, two in cans and one in a trigger bottle.

To vince's points, would the "severe effect" be reduced or eliminated if one allowed the SB to sit on the record for only 10-20 seconds and then rinsed it off very thoroughly, followed by vacuuming? I'm only asking because I've got a rather hopeless record that has been cleaned three times by more acceptable methods and is still noisy as hell, so I'm willing to try almost anything at this point. ;)