Spin clean and other record washers, brushes too tight or too lose?

how clean is your house
charlycandy
United States of America

Spin clean and other record washers, brushes too tight or too lose?

Post by charlycandy » 09 Feb 2019 21:31

Hello all.

New to the group and glad to be here. I have a question for those of you who own Spin Clean or Spin Clean style record washers for a review I'm writing. Do any of you have issues with the brushes on your washer either being too tight or too lose? In my case the brushes seem to leave a small gap for thinner records and especially for 45s and applying perfect pressure for thicker records. The reviews for differen't kinds of washers seem to suggest that sometimes people have this inconsistency even with the same model of washer. Some saying that thin records are too lose while others say that thick records is where they have an issue as those are so tight that they can't even comfortably spin them without feeling like they are damaging something. I've found similar complaints for all the varieties of immersion type washers including the spin clean. It seems that since brushes can't be calibrated, these washers are either optimized to clean thin records and others are optimized to clean the thicker records. Some of this issue must also be because of the tolerances of the plastics these things are made of making some come out better for thicker records and others coming out better for lighter records. I currently have ordered duplicate of the washer I have to see if it changes then too.

I also wonder how many people there are out there who use their record cleaners not realizing that their brushes aren't actually properly digging into some of the records that they are cleaning and how many people are probably putting some scratches in records when they get a washer that's too tight.

Any of you guys have some input?

MostlyHarmless

Re: Spin clean and other record washers, brushes too tight or too lose?

Post by MostlyHarmless » 12 Feb 2019 02:16

Here is a thread about the tendency of Spin-Clean rollers to jump out of their slots and my solution to that problem.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=91546&p=766715#p766715

Note my comment that the clamp also resolves your issue. (Also note that an incremental adjustment makes a great deal of difference.) I agree that the better solution would be to spring load the brushes.

I never did make anything snazzier - the prototype works.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Feb 2019 04:56

MostlyHarmless wrote:
12 Feb 2019 02:16
Here is a thread about the tendency of Spin-Clean rollers to jump out of their slots and my solution to that problem.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=91546&p=766715#p766715

Note my comment that the clamp also resolves your issue. (Also note that an incremental adjustment makes a great deal of difference.) I agree that the better solution would be to spring load the brushes.

I never did make anything snazzier - the prototype works.
Actually, a spring-loaded brush slot might be a good idea to accommodate various record thicknesses and you could still change the brushes out when they wear thin...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 06 Mar 2019 02:33

I have a yellow Spin Clean and a clear one. The brushes in the clear one absolutely grip the record tighter than in the yellow. That goes if I put the yellow brushes in the clear or the clear brushes in the yellow, whatever. Been that way since they were new, so it isn't brush wear causing it either.

I won't go into details about why I have two Spin Cleans, I originally intended to have just one.

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » 08 Mar 2019 02:22

Bob,

I am another two Spin Clean household, both in the tasty canary yellow. I've put the second to work as a distilled water rinse, then I vacuum the record dry using KAB's EV-1 and let the records air dry a few minutes. Seems to work fairly well.

The hard plastic brush bases are a bit variable in thickness. I can vary the gap between the brush heads to accommodate record thicknesses from very thin Dynaflex discs to especially heavy >180g ones by selecting the right combination of brushes. Does this really matter? Probably not, unless the brushes don't come in contact with the record at all. The basins may be a bit variable in width, as well.

I have several ideas of improvements to the current Spin Clean system. Perhaps I should send them to the manufacturer. Or maybe I'll just take up bank robbery* to finance a fancier machine. Until then, the Spin Clean seems to do a reasonably good job.

MH

*Note to DHS, FBI, CIA, KGB, etc.: This is a mild joke.

Sinsonido
United States of America

Post by Sinsonido » 09 Mar 2019 22:20

For what it's worth, the brushes in my yellow Spin Clean Mk II are pretty tight. It takes a little effort to rotate the record, and sometimes one of the brushes wants to come out along with the LP as I remove it. Even though I clean my records under a bright light I'm not sure if the pressure of the brushes are causing any damage. Some of my records from the 70s/early 80s - which would otherwise be graded EX to NM - are pressed on pretty crappy vinyl to begin with, so it's kind of hard to tell. And even on brand new records I can always see some very tiny micro-abrasions in direct sunlight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Spin Clean does not have a dramatic impact on the LP surface. Even so, I've reduced the recommended 3-4 revolutions down to one in both directions.

Other than that, the Spin Clean is great for a distilled water rinse, which is all I use it for. The record then gets clamped to the VinylBug for a vacuum with the drying mesh, and all the water is removed without a smear or a smudge. I do feel confident that the record is clean at least.

If the Spin Clean had a way to dial out the tension in those brushes that would be an addition I'd be willing to pay for.