Ilfotol Wetting Agent

how clean is your house
Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Ilfotol Wetting Agent

Post by Sunwire » 23 Jan 2019 03:55

I never said Ilfotol was better or worse than Tergitol or Triton X-100.
It's just what I've used.
I don't remember where I got it or how much I paid. I seem to recall it was about $16, but I could be wrong.
I just checked on Amazon.
Ilfotol is about $40 per liter.
Triton X-100 is about $60 per liter.
It looks like there are various forms of Tergitol at prices higher than either Ilfotol or Triton X-100.

vince1 - which are you using and where do you get it?

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 23 Jan 2019 04:04

As I recall, the dilution amount is different. Tergitol is harder to get in the appropriate formulation. So I just use tergikleen at the moment. But, if better sources are available...

vince1
United States of America

Post by vince1 » 24 Jan 2019 17:46

You're pricing comparison doesn't take into account that Ilfotol is only 1-5% surfactant while the Triton is 100%. I source mine from Lab suppliers (Sigma, Fisher, etc.). The general public can find on Ebay or Amazon. Tergitols can be sourced from Talas.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 24 Jan 2019 23:59

vince1 wrote:
24 Jan 2019 17:46
You're pricing comparison doesn't take into account that Ilfotol is only 1-5% surfactant while the Triton is 100%. I source mine from Lab suppliers (Sigma, Fisher, etc.). The general public can find on Ebay or Amazon. Tergitols can be sourced from Talas.
Cool, I had a hard time finding 15-S-3 & 15-S-9 Tergitol. With that said, at a minimum amount of a pint ea, I'm not sure I'd end up actually saving any significant money since Tergitol has a 2 year shelf life.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 04 Mar 2019 12:05

DT999 wrote:
23 Jan 2019 03:31
vince1 wrote:
23 Jan 2019 02:36
You do realize that the surfactant in Ilfotol is identical to Tergitol to Triton X-100 yes? Oh, except you pay a huge premium for packaging, labeling, marketing, and the toxic isothiazole preservative in a hugely diluted preparation. They don't specify which alcohol ethoxylate is in their solution, but these are the most common and surely used. There isn't anything magic here, and certainly no marketing you should be falling for. Furthermore, there is nothing materially similar to photographic film and phonographic records so products marketed for one application are not optimized for the other. Detergent, surfactant, wetting agent, emulsifier, cleaner, degreaser....don't be fooled by marketing terms for the same thing.
I have only been able to source Triton X-100 on line from scientific and laboratory suppliers here, 500ML is over AU$48, so Ilfotol is more cost affective. I guess it depends where you live and availability of specific products.
The sad thing is most are fooled ....these "Detergent, surfactant, wetting agent, emulsifier, cleaner, degreaser." fool so many here ...they are all the same thing ...detergents .....still a fool and his money so they say :D