Restoring old laminated covers

how clean is your house
Captain Winters

Restoring old laminated covers

Post by Captain Winters » 20 Jan 2019 12:34

Anyone who is familiar with British-made records from the 1950s and 1960s knows that they are pretty sturdy and wear resistant except for two things: low quality laminate which often lifts, bubbles and looks awful, giving the whole thing a particularly unattractive look and non laminated backs that are prone to yellowing and attracting dirt.

I've discovered that several things can be done to improve the old laminated covers. First of all, if there are no holes or splits in the laminate, it can be cleaned very effectively with most chemicals except acetone which melts the plastic (don't ask me how I know). The rough-surfaced strips between the ending of the laminate covering and plain paper attract dirt which often makes the rear flipbacks look bad. These strips can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, a Q-tip and some rubbing. Chlorinated rubber thinner also works, does a great job at removing all kinds of gunk but be careful, as it may fade the print if it gets to an area unprotected by laminate.

Another thing is that these laminated covers can be polished if clouded / faded. I use Meguiar's PlastX polishing compound on a soft rag. Does wonders but do not go down on the cover too hard as you can lift the laminate if you use too much force.

Which brings the last and most crucial question:

is there any way to make the lifted laminate stick to the cover again?

who2018
Netherlands

Re: Restoring old laminated covers

Post by who2018 » 24 Jan 2019 16:27

I did not tried it myself but perhaps a little warming up (with a hairdryer?) might be an option.
If I may borrow my wife's dryer I will give I a try this evening.