Good inexpensive alternative cleaning solution to D4+?

how clean is your house
audiomodder

Good inexpensive alternative cleaning solution to D4+?

Post by audiomodder » 23 Sep 2018 04:45

Hey all,
I really like the cleaning job that D4 plus has done but I'm pretty put off by the cost. I went through my bottle pretty fast... Can someone recommend anything better That I can get out of more fair price?

audiomodder

Re: Good inexpensive alternative cleaning solution to D4+?

Post by audiomodder » 27 Sep 2018 01:06

No recommendations for cheap cleaning solutions at all?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 27 Sep 2018 02:31

Greetings! This is a topic that has been both beaten to death on this and similar sites, and is nothing if not polarizing and controversial. This may explain why no one has jumped in with comments. Since cost is an issue, I will suggest one of the basic solutions, and a very popular one at that. In a spray bottle, or squeeze bottle depending on choice of application, 4/5 distilled water, 1/5 90% isopropyl alcohol, and a few drops of a surfactant (Jet Clean is popular), shaken well to mix. This is meant for actual cleaning of records off the deck, but would work equally well on a brush applicator. Most people would not find any issues with this formulation. Others, well, they'd recommend some multi thousand dollar machine. General concensus is that no damage will or can be done using these solutions. Check the forums and online...there are no shortages of suggestions and opinions. Hope this helps! :D

sturgus
United States of America

Post by sturgus » 23 Oct 2018 22:56

If you don't want to make your own this is really good stuff.
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Audio-Intell ... o/AIVPO32/

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 01 Nov 2018 22:01

Get something with anti-static. That would help to keep a record clean.

FrankLM
United States of America

Post by FrankLM » 27 Dec 2018 16:13

I use 3 products. efficient and harmless.
Two from Dollar Tree Store. Meaning: it's a Dollar, so economical.

#1-- LCD cleaning set. Spray bottle, (30ML), and a microfiber cloth included.

#2--ArmourAll Auto Glass Cleaner.(4 ounces/118 ML) Ammonia free, Microfiber cloth sold separately. works great for old dirty Lp's and new ones too.

#3-- Home made cleaning solution:
3 parts DISTILLED water, 1 part Isopropyl Alchohol, 2 or 3 drops of Dawn dish washing liquid.
Put in a spray bottle to use. Also works great. I use this mixture on the treasures I get at Thrift stores. It removes old tobacco smoke residue and most anything else.. Cleans TV screens too.

audiomodder

Post by audiomodder » 04 Mar 2019 08:18

sorry I forgot to thank you all for your advice!! I've been using 99% isopropyl alcohol, found some distilled water to use, and some colorless Dawn dish soap. It's been working great for all my thrift store finds and is really brought new life to a lot of records for me :)

audiomodder

Post by audiomodder » 14 May 2019 11:41

I made a new batch of cleaning solution and was using it recently, but it actually changed the color of my records! After using it, I noticed under bright light that the record was slightly more gray than before :( does anyone know what would cause this? Im thinking maybe it was too much dish soap in the mixture. Do I have any hope of removing it?

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 15 May 2019 00:44

Either a soap build up or re-solidified tar and filth from cigarettes.

Make up a new batch of solution and try again. Be sure to use distilled water, to avoid calcium, which may also be what you are seeing.

If that doesn’t work you may have to get all medieval on it and get it in the sink with dish soap and hot water. After rinsing(but before it dries) follow up with your fresh solution.

audiomodder

Post by audiomodder » 18 May 2019 20:57

Jim Leach wrote:
15 May 2019 00:44
Either a soap build up or re-solidified tar and filth from cigarettes.

Make up a new batch of solution and try again. Be sure to use distilled water, to avoid calcium, which may also be what you are seeing.

If that doesn’t work you may have to get all medieval on it and get it in the sink with dish soap and hot water. After rinsing(but before it dries) follow up with your fresh solution.
Thanks for the reply! I'll make a new batch with less soap and post back my results. Maybe it's the cigarettes thing, it's just weird because it looked worse after I cleaned it then before :9