As seen on TV

how clean is your house
fluteboy
England

As seen on TV

Post by fluteboy » 18 Sep 2018 20:46

This guy does videos about audio and video oddities, and in this episode he tackled those infomercial-type commercials that usually came from Ronco or K-Tel. In this one (I've cued it up) we see him riffing the Ronco Record Vacuum and the K-Tel Record Selector:

https://youtu.be/OconO0tuUpQ?t=7m1s

Just the addition of a sound effect makes it hilarious! :twisted:

Did anyone ever use these products?

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Re: As seen on TV

Post by ripblade » 22 Sep 2018 19:31

K-tel was a Canadian company, so I've seen the record selector in these parts from time to time in the past. They worked as demonstrated, but you had to either have a fairly small record collection, or use it to store/display the frequently used albums next to the TT.

I don't think they were any more damaging to the covers than the usual method of sliding in and out of the shelf. Protective plastic covers weren't that common when these were in vogue. However, they didn't provide the lateral support to keep the records flat. IDK if this caused warps or not....I never owned one.

addicted-to-analog
United States of America

Post by addicted-to-analog » 22 Sep 2018 23:08

fluteboy wrote:This guy does videos about audio and video oddities, and in this episode he tackled those infomercial-type commercials that usually came from Ronco or K-Tel. In this one (I've cued it up) we see him riffing the Ronco Record Vacuum and the K-Tel Record Selector:

https://youtu.be/OconO0tuUpQ?t=7m1s

Just the addition of a sound effect makes it hilarious! :twisted:

Did anyone ever use these products?
I actually have one of the Ronco Record Vacuums in a sealed box. Didn't think it would replace my VPI 16.5 so never opened it. :wink:

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 20 Oct 2018 18:24

Although the "Ronco Record Vac"was not the best, It did work and fulfilled a real need to remove "micro dust" :)

Unfortunately, back then, the general public did not understand the need for such a thing (to remove mirco dust) and the "Ronco Record Vac" was generally seen as a gimmick by the uninformed masses.

Keep in mind that back then, there was no internet of course.... and the only info the general public could get was from advertising, and a couple of audio magazines... that may or may not have given accurate info about any given thing.

wolverine
United States of America

Post by wolverine » 22 Oct 2018 03:51

I bought one of those Ronco Record Vacs in the original box and display in my Music room. I have never used it but maybe I will give it a quick spin....

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 22 Oct 2018 15:45

BTW, back then, there were no carbon fiber LP brushes.

About the only thing that was available just to remove dust was the original "Dust Bug" which was mainly used by knowledgeable audiophiles.
As it was, I had to travel about 50 miles to the nearest "Crazy Eddie" (audio stores) to get one as no one locally had one .

fluteboy
England

Post by fluteboy » 23 Oct 2018 01:02

JDJX wrote:
22 Oct 2018 15:45
As it was, I had to travel about 50 miles to the nearest "Crazy Eddie" (audio stores) to get one as no one locally had one .
Crazy Eddie’s! Were their prices “INSAAAANE”? :wink:

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 23 Oct 2018 19:03

Crazy Eddie's prices were about the lowest but, just as important, he had a vast election of low and high end stereo hardware....more of a selection than the smaller local audio stores usually had.

Toward the end, " Eddie Antar" was charged with defrauding his investors but, not his customers.

Here is some info for anyone not really aware of "Crazy Eddie...and his usually over the top, hyper , and entertaining commercials that usually featured advertising man and Radio DJ, "Jerry Carroll".
Whether you shopped at Crazy Eddie or not, the commercials always made you smile. :)
https://www.app.com/story/entertainment ... /90250716/

fluteboy
England

Post by fluteboy » 23 Oct 2018 21:24

Our TV ads were somewhat sedate in comparison:

https://youtu.be/eeLnLx55TYc