the home of the turntable

Glass Cleaner

how clean is your house

Glass Cleaner

Postby Yukonbuck » 20 Jul 2018 11:45

So for the last year I've been using the following method to clean my vinyl.
1. Spray vinyl with aerosol glass cleaner from auto parts store i.e. safelite brand.
2. Take a very soft bristled brush and stroke with the direction of the grooves working in the cleaner careful not to get any on the label.
3. Once both sides are done, rinse with cold water.
4. Lay vinyl on very soft paper towel. The blue ones from auto store. Put another on top of the vinyl and press down to absorb moisture never wiping.
I have not had any problems with this method. Since I made this up and never really asked anyone, what problems do you guys see with me doing this. I'm willing to change my evil ways if someone can convince me.

Buck
Yukonbuck

United States of America

Re: Glass Cleaner

Postby sunderwood » 02 Aug 2018 22:01

If you don't have something like a vpi record cleaning machine I don't see why your method will not work as well as anything out there. You might look at the ingredients in the glass cleaner and make sure they won't cause any long term problems with your records. If you are not already using it, distilled water is supposed to be better than tap. It only costs about $1.00 a gallon and can be bought in any grocery store.
sunderwood

United States of America

Postby Yukonbuck » 02 Aug 2018 22:08

Thank you for the response! I will follow your suggestions.
Yukonbuck

United States of America

Postby circularvibes » 02 Aug 2018 22:54

I am not familiar with your brand of glass cleaner. Does it have any colour? I know Windex, or worse, cheaper alternatives with blue dye in it and will stay in the grooves. When I started getting serious about collecting records as a teenager, the local dealer told me to clean my records with Windex and paper towels. I wondered why my stylus always had blue fibres on it and I couldn't play a stack of singles without skips. Beyond that, I like your idea of using a brush. I have a home brew solution that I use a nylon art brush before my Nitty Gritty vacuum. I firmly believe the brush is what makes the cleaning work so well. Fluid removal and drying are the next biggest points as you want no minerals from water to stay in the groove.
circularvibes

Canada

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage