Indian soap nuts

how clean is your house
cats squirrel
long player
long player
Great Britain

Indian soap nuts

Post by cats squirrel » 04 Jun 2018 14:03

been thinking about cleaning my records, well, some of them. I have just inherited (literally) about 40+ half decent mostly classical LP's, most of which look in excellent condition, but a few are a bit dusty/mucky. I was thinking about washing them, and about when I have washed LP's before, obtaining mixed results.

Looking at formulae on the net over the years, a common mix is 25% propanol with water, and a drop or two of detergent. I'm very familiar with propanol (IPA) as it is a very common (and useful) solvent in chemistry, although it does not dissolve oil/grease. For that I use d-limonene. But the detergent thing concerns me. If any trace is left on the disc surface, it could leave a sticky mess.

In the distant pass, I was working for a medical device company, where they analysed blood. To burst the blood cells they used saponin, a natural detergent. I made some 'cleaning solution' for a record shop, with a view to supplying them. I gave them a sample, and it proved very good for its purpose. So I thought I might make some more, but the only saponin I could find was £50 from the US. However, I found that there is a product on the market which uses Indian Soap nuts (Sapindus mukorossi), which contain saponin, I have decided to try these, so I am going nuts, it's official!

The problem with saponins is that they are haemolachrymatory, they burst blood cells, so if entering the eye, the result could be bloody tears! I warned the man in the record shop of this, all he could say was that it was a good name for a group: 'Crying Blood'.

I'll report back if I proceed with this.

ps Recently read an article about making vinyl records, and they used a saponin solution for cleaning the metal father.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Indian soap nuts

Post by cats squirrel » 04 Jun 2018 15:27

here is the info about using saponin solution in record production:

"The original lacquer is washed in a soapy solution, rinsed with DI water, a wetting agent (saponin) is poured onto the part, DI rinsed, then the part is placed in a tub of stannous chloride solution (tinning solution), The part is then rinsed again with DI water and a silvering spray solution same as what they use to coat mirrors is sprayed onto the part."

The full quote is here:

https://www.finishing.com/492/88.shtml

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 04 Jun 2018 16:03

I'm curious about your statement that IPA doesn't dissolve oil/grease.
That's exactly what I use it for.
I use a small piece of paper towel with IPA to clean off fingerprints before I put records in my ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic cleaner works well *except* on fingerprints.

Even the cleanest used records seem to have at least a little fingerprint residue on the outer edge/lead-in groove area. So, I always wipe some IPA around the outer edge.

"Isopropyl alcohol dissolves a wide range of non-polar compounds. It also evaporates quickly, leaves nearly zero oil traces, compared to ethanol, and is relatively non-toxic, compared to alternative solvents. Thus, it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid, especially for dissolving oils." - wikipedia

cats squirrel
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by cats squirrel » 04 Jun 2018 16:29

my tests show that IPA does not dissolve non-polar oils, such as mineral oils. What I suspect it does is Help smear the oil over the surface, which is not what we want. For oils and greases I use d-limonene.