Record wiping fluid with Everclear

how clean is your house
mark79

Record wiping fluid with Everclear

Post by mark79 » 02 Jun 2018 16:43

Hello All: Thanks to jdjohn and Vince1 for all their help. I have the Everclear and was wanting to make a record wipe fluid with it. Would I use the same dilution for that as I would for Isopropyl? It's pretty potent but I need something to use that's strong for the thrift store finds. Some of them can be saved. Can I also add 1 or 2 drops of Triton or just one? I've noticed that there is an ongoing debate on using any type of alcohol at all, but I've also noticed that the most expensive record cleaning solutions all contain quite a lot of alcohol. I see no harm in using alcohol. Sometimes its the only thing that will get all the gunk out. The Spin Doctor fluid contains almost 30%. Thank You all very much for all your advice and suggestions. Much Regards; Mark79 :D

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Record wiping fluid with Everclear

Post by jdjohn » 08 Jun 2018 02:59

Hi Mark,

Everclear and distilled water are perfectly safe for a quick clean. Once you add a detergent surfactant like Triton or Folex (your other thread), a rinse cycle needs to be added. If you don't plan to rinse-off the suspended dirt that a surfactant creates, don't use a surfactant. A simple alcohol and water is best for a quick-and-dirty wash.