record cleaner using denatured alcohol

how clean is your house
mark79

record cleaner using denatured alcohol

Post by mark79 » 29 May 2018 23:50

Hello All: I am probably gonna catch some flack for this, but I have made some albums play very quiet using a microfiber cloth and a small amount of denatured alcohol. I just found two Linda Ronstadt albums and a Little Feat album at a thrift store, I won't buy them if they are scratched. I paid $1.00 for all three albums. When I got them home, I carefully hand washed them with my Triton solution and let them air dry for several hours. When I played them, they were very noisy especially in between tracks. This was probably due to a build up of old-type record cleaners containing silicone and who knows what else. When I went over each record with the denatured alcohol and the microfiber cloth, they all played very quietly. It doesn't take much and you have to be very careful with it because it is very flammable. Don't overwet the record and go in the direction of the grooves. Stay away from the label. I went over each record with the G2 solution after I did this. All three albums play very "clean" now. Has anyone ever heard of doing this? It has worked very well for on some very dirty thrift store finds. I did this as a last resort and it worked. Also, make sure you wear rubber gloves and have a fan on. Any feedback would be appreciated. Regards; Mark79

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: record cleaner using denatured alcohol

Post by jdjohn » 01 Jun 2018 16:27

Hi Mark.

I would advise against it. I asked vince1 this question, and he explained that denatured alcohol sometimes uses acetone as the toxicity agent, and acetone is NOT friendly to plastics in general. Ever notice that if you use acetone on plastic/acrylic that it leaves a hazy finish? Isopropyl is safe, as well as ethanol as found in pure grain alcohol from the liquor store :D