Antistatic brush

how clean is your house
Bufo Bill
Great Britain

Antistatic brush

Post by Bufo Bill » 18 May 2018 16:11

When using an anti static brush on vinyl, does one use a linear motion or a circular motion? Are there any good guides or videos for beginners?
Bill.

jeff449
United States of America

Re: Antistatic brush

Post by jeff449 » 18 May 2018 17:41

Turn the motor on. Hold the brush gently on the record (bristles just barely bent). Hold in place for a few revolutions. Slowly move brush to spindle, touch the end of the brush to the spindle and keep going until you are on the label and off the vinyl. Gently lift up . Brush the dust off of the brush while facing away from the turntable.

Bufo Bill
Great Britain

Post by Bufo Bill » 18 May 2018 18:18

Cheers Jeff, that's a big help.
Thanks from Bill.

Tedrick
long player
long player

Post by Tedrick » 21 May 2018 06:44

jeff449 wrote:Turn the motor on. Hold the brush gently on the record (bristles just barely bent). Hold in place for a few revolutions. Slowly move brush to spindle, touch the end of the brush to the spindle and keep going until you are on the label and off the vinyl. Gently lift up . Brush the dust off of the brush while facing away from the turntable.
This is exactly opposite. Start as jeff449 states, but after a few rotations, slowly move the brush toward the edge of the record and then off, taking the dust off the record with it. Moving the brush to the spindle just moves the dust to a different place on the record.

And do NOT touch the bristles with your fingers to remove dust to prevent oils from your fingers spreading to your vinyl.

jeff449
United States of America

Post by jeff449 » 21 May 2018 17:46

Good point, Tedrick.
The theory I read is that touching the spindle grounds the brush and therefore the record, removing the static charge. I would say try it both ways and stick with what works for you.

Bufo Bill
Great Britain

Post by Bufo Bill » 21 May 2018 19:55

Most brushes I looked at had metal handles, so I presume your body is the route to ground?
Bill.

jeff449
United States of America

Post by jeff449 » 22 May 2018 17:37

In theory, yes. But in reality, the only one I've seen where that is true is the NEW Audioquest brush with the gold on the handle.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/th ... iber-brush
I checked this out with an ohm meter. The old one had no connection from the fibers to the handle, even if I scratch through the coating on the metal handle. The new one does have continuity.