spin clean record washer mk11

how clean is your house
Kurt45
United States of America

Re: spin clean record washer mk11

Post by Kurt45 » 22 May 2018 12:27

zwhita wrote: But also, some people reported that just playing the record a few times after a cleaning cleared the pops and clicks right up. And so far this seems to be the case for me as well.
I had the same problem with my records getting noisier with the Spin-clean when I first got it. They would also become quieter with successive plays. I first noticed it when I cleaned a new record and it made the record sound crackly. I cleaned the record again on a VPI vacuum machine and it was dead silent, so at least I knew the Spin-clean wasn't doing any permanent damage. All I can say is the problem has gone away (I've clean close to 2,000 records on mine). I don't know if my technique got better or if the new pads just had to wear in (that was one theory I heard), but now the records never come out crackly.

Also, like billshurv, I no longer clean new records if they aren't noisy. Mostly I just don't have the time.

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 23 May 2018 17:03

billshurv wrote:In this case you have a format that was obsolete in 1983. It is laughably flawed, but can be huge fun and gives you something to fill your spare time with.
My opinion now is this hobby feels more like a passing fad in my life, hence my ever waning patience with it; the noise, the inner-groove distortion, the space needed, the time and effort for maintenance, the lot of it.
vinyl master wrote:Everyone wants that instant gratification, rather than work for a solution...
Ah, that brings me to my current compromise: 24 bit vinyl rips to play on my High Resolution DAP. I work very hard to master them, get them to sound how I want, not how some engineer (with obligations to placate the record label and with vastly different ears) wants. And I am starting to think many of my vinyl rips (played on this device that fits in my pocket) sound better than playing them on my meager turntable setup. Not all though.
vinyl master wrote:If I want GREAT SOUND (which is the goal), I have to accept a few compromises and some trial-and-error to get to that point...

...all the pain is worth the effort in the end when you find the "sweet spot" and everything is in alignment!
And I would argue that by doing so, you risk letting confirmation bias creep in to validate your efforts as being worthwhile. I certainly don't want to get into an A versus D debate yet again, but more to the point, anywhere you look in the forums when people have problems with vinyl playback, you are guaranteed to see copious amounts of speculation and misinformation. This tends to exacerbate the issue. I am getting rather tired of it. It's either that or throw more money at the problem, which I have never been in any financial position to do, nor do I predict I will ever be fortunate enough to indulge in.

I went back yesterday and played every LP I had cleaned once again to see if the noise had been reduced and it had, although is far from being gone. Based on what I have gathered from forums, I really also need to spend $200 or more on a vacuum machine to get that last 30-40%. Or perhaps I could continue to use the wood glue method where I was already more satisfied with the results, albeit with the extra amount of time and care needed to do it correctly, and knowing it only seems to work about 60% of the time anyway. I am hoping maybe I can combine the two solutions for a greater chance of getting good results. I don't intend to invest in a vacuum solution at this point.

I dunno. Mostly I'm perturbed the Spin Clean is not a complete solution, but is priced like it should be one. I paid twice as much for this product than I did on my current turntable, the latter of which has been very reliable. It bothers me that yet another aspect of this hobby has become far too unnecessarily expensive these days and I will probably be giving it up soon. At this point the LP's will likely go back into storage eventually and I will listen to my rips and high resolution digital streams. Perhaps then I can decide if something is missing from my musical listening experiences and only then return to the more cumbersome and pricey method, knowing it truly is worth the extra effort, and come back more prepared and hopefully more financially able to support the endeavor.

Spin Clean appears to be a decent product. Just not as good as I had hoped, or indeed as good as others singing its praises have made it out to be.

pezman2112

Post by pezman2112 » 24 May 2018 14:39

If you're looking for perfect vinyl playback you may never find it.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 24 May 2018 17:00

zwhita wrote: My opinion now is this hobby feels more like a passing fad in my life, hence my ever waning patience with it; the noise, the inner-groove distortion, the space needed, the time and effort for maintenance, the lot of it.
A lot of people under 50 have seem to have got involved with this as a fad thinking there is some magic in vinyl. I've listened to vinyl since I was very young and never stopped. But I don't buy anything recently pressed and under no illusions of the variable quality of the format or expense involved. It has always been pleasure music. For convenience these days I have the music server.

But I don't understand why anyone born after 1985 would consider vinyl unless they inherited a setup and music.

Anyway, back on track. Vinyl has surface noise and its variable depending on both condition and the mix used. Some formulations are very noisy from new and nothing you can do other than keep playing it in the hope it gets quieter. No cleaning machine is a magic bullet.

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 27 Jun 2018 21:46

zwhita wrote:The records had almost the exact same amount of surface noise after using this product as before cleaning.
Later...
zwhita wrote:...some people reported that just playing the record a few times after a cleaning cleared the pops and clicks right up. And so far this seems to be the case for me as well.
Another problematic trend has surfaced. My spin-clean now appears to be cleaning about 70% of the surface noise, but only in the quieter parts of the music. I distinctly hear more click and pop activity any time the music increases in loudness. This is of course for records that were pretty noisy everywhere before cleaning.
I'm also finding that repeat cleanings are not showing any improvement. Playing a cleaned record a second or third time does often show less noise, but in the manner described above.

Gotta say, I still can't recommend this product based on my own experiences. Either I'm too dumb to use it correctly or its price far exceeds its usefulness.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Jun 2018 05:00

zwhita wrote: Gotta say, I still can't recommend this product based on my own experiences. Either I'm too dumb to use it correctly or its price far exceeds its usefulness.
Or there is something else in the component or signal chain that is causing a problem, perhaps...Too bad you don't have a fancier or more expensive RCM to compare it to or borrow (aka Nitty Gritty, VPI, Okki Nokki, Loricraft, Ultrasonic Machine, etc.)...Some record stores will offer a service to clean records on a vacuum RCM, too...If you were still having problems after having your records cleaned on a vacuum RCM, then the RCM is DEFINITELY NOT the problem... :-k