Replacing Spin-Clean Brushes

how clean is your house
Gelid
broken record

Replacing Spin-Clean Brushes

Post by Gelid » 04 Apr 2018 07:25

I played a brand-new album to test out a newly-aquired turntable with a new stylus / cart. Sounded great beginning to end. Played it again some other time on another TT / cart. Again, sounded great all the way through.

THEN, I cleaned it in the Spin-Clean with four other records... three brand new and two thrift-store finds. Washed the new ones first.

I then rinsed all five in the Spin-Clean. Purified water both times.

I was playing that very same record and noticed a ball of stuff on the stylus. Sounded distorted (fuzzy).

At the end of the side there clearly was a ball of something sticking to the stylus. So, to the microscope I go...
Nagaoka MP-300_album side after Spin Clean_01.jpg
(110.64 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Nagaoka MP-300_album side after Spin Clean_02.jpg
(87.45999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
This is from a brand-new album just put through the Spin-Clean for a wash, then a rinse. It had less crud on it before I cleaned it.

I played another of the new albums I just cleaned... same thing happened.

So then I played a brand-new album I haven't yet cleaned. No crud. Upon microscope inspection, only tiny bits of stuff.

Conclusion: I believe the crud accumulating on the stylus to be from dirty brushes. They are probably so soaked with the oil, dust, and crud from all those thrift-store records I've been buying and washing. What else could it be?

This is a new developement that started two cleaning sessions ago (20 albums total) but just thought I didn't do a good enough job cleaning them.

I am just realizing that the brushes have a far-shorter lifespan than I had thought. I do give them a really good rinse after using them, so I don't know what more I can do except buy new brushes.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Replacing Spin-Clean Brushes

Post by vinyl master » 04 Apr 2018 07:41

I've mentioned this before, Gelid...The brushes will eventually wear out, so it's good to have a couple of spares around and if you have a lot of albums, the cost of a spare set is not too much of a bankbreaker...Compared to the cost of my collection, a few extra accessories are essential...Fortunately, with the Spin-Clean, the rollers should last you much longer and basically, it's really only the brushes that will need replacing after so many cleanings...I always look at the brushes after each cleaning session, and I make sure to wash them off thoroughly and let them air dry on top of the Spin-Clean lid, so that I won't "contaminate" the next batch I do...I also use many microfiber towels, but I fill up a bag and wash them all together once I've used them all...I bought two packs of 50, so I'm usually good to go for a while! :D

Sometimes, a preliminary wash before using the Spin-Clean can help with the really dirty thrift store finds, just to eliminate some of the initial dust and dirt...A thorough go-round with the Spin-Clean and distilled water should get the rest...And make sure to be prepared with plenty of new inner and outer sleeves!

I also keep some Lysol wipes or similar disinfecting wipes to help with the covers...A magic eraser or a paper-cleaning dirt-collecting sponge like this one from Bags Unlimited can also help with those dingy covers...

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/18 ... -non-toxic

By the way, I've bought my spare brushes from Acoustic Sounds...If I clean the brushes after every batch cleaning I do and let them air dry, their lifespan increases, but eventually, like I said, they do wear out so be prepared with a spare set and you can keep on cleaning! :D

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 04 Apr 2018 09:03

I do everything that you do. Our cleaning routines are very similar. All I'm guilty of is not replacing my brushes nearly often enough.

Bought the S-C in 2014... replaced the brushes in 2016 when I thought they weren't tight enough anymore. Haven't cleaned as many as the first set yet, so I don't think they are worn-out as much as they are full of contaminent. After all... they did deposit debris onto clean records. I'll be ordering a new set tomorrow!

The one thing new to me is the paper-cleaning dry sponge. I normally use a Clorox (or off-brand) wet-wipe after wringing most of the liquid out of it. Helps to disinfect the germy jackets.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Apr 2018 09:15

Yeah, we're pretty much similar in our routines...I try different things sometimes, depending on how bad the covers are...The Clorox or Lysol wipes can do a pretty good job...That sponge is an archivist item that is used for cleaning old books, but there's no reason you can't use it on inner sleeves, record covers, posters, etc., virtually any paper items...As I've said before, I keep a wide variety of tools in my arsenal for different occasions and situations!

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 08 Apr 2018 22:12

Use a carbon fiber brush before playing to remove dust and fibers such as these. My guess is those fibers are coming from your drying rags, since they don't look like fibers from the spin clean brushes. Probably want to either wash or acquire new drying rags.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 08 Apr 2018 22:25

Might be something to that, now that you mention it.

I only use brand-new micro-fiber cloths. When I have used them once, they go to the wife's rag bin for her cleaning tasks. However... they aren't the best quality and I remember noticing a suprising amount of lint when shaking one out before use.

They are the same ones I've used before without issue, so I really don't know for sure. This started happening all at once, so I'm starting with the carbon-fiber brushes which I know are old.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Apr 2018 00:48

It could be the drying cloths...Better ones may be in order and you can buy them fairly cheap enough...What I do with mine is this...I bought 2 50-count packages of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfiber ... ber+cloths

Once used, they go into a bag for re-washing...When I fill the bag up entirely, they will all be washed separately...and this is key...from ANY OTHER LAUNDRY! You DO NOT want to mix them in with any other articles of clothing as they can deposit dirt and lint onto the cloths...I dry them in the dryer separately with NO dryer sheets...I want them to get a little fuzzy and staticky, as that helps their dust removal properties and helps suck up dust like a magnet...I keep the clean cloths in a separate, clean bag and pull them out again for re-use whenever I start a new cleaning session...You want to try not to overdo it and do about 20-30 records at a time...Of course, all depends on how dirty your records are, whether old or new pressings, etc. You can always give the dirtiest ones an initial wash in the sink, maybe with something to protect the labels, but then another spin in the distilled water bath in the Spin-Clean...I keep plenty of distilled water around for the purpose, too...You can see the dirt accumulate to the bottom of the basin in the Spin-Clean and to be safe, I empty out the basin after so many records aka each cleaning session, wash the brushes and let them air dry on top of the unit's lid...Just remember, if you must leave to do something else in the middle of your cleaning session, put the lid on the mixture and you can always come back to it later...But, the key is consistency in the materials and fluids you use and the way you clean the records...I did not like the original Spin-Clean cloths, so the microfibers do a decent job...I also have a Sound Guard Record Pad that I can place the records on...Some use a terry towel while cleaning the records...I use a wooden drying rack, as well, after removing as much leftover moisture as possible...I let them air dry, to be safe, in a dust-free work area before placing the records into new inner and outer sleeves, which I have handy at my fingertips for whenever I'm doing a batch session...I have plenty of the Spin-Clean fluid, as well...Like in cooking a meal, the key is to be prepared with the best quality ingredients (in our case, tools...) from the start!

Just for the "record", it is entirely possible that the carbon fiber brushes are older, too, and could use replacing...If the cloths are starting to look a little raggedy and ready for the trash heap, it may be time to replace them, too, but that would be after many, many cleaning sessions, I would presume...

tom6to1
Canada

Post by tom6to1 » 10 Apr 2018 03:52

I agree with others that have posted here. The drying cloths supplied by Spin Clean are AWFUL and leave a lot of white fibers behind (as kalaur noted above). I switched to micro-fiber cloths after the first dozen records. I also wash these cloths separately from other items (have about 2-dozen) so they don't pick up lint from cotton items in the wash (as per vinyl master above).

One other thought - do you clean the Spin-Clean brushes? I will take a "one-direction" clothing lint brush and try to get any dust and fibers out of the pads every few times I use the Spin Clean. I have put several hundred records through the current set of brushes without problems. I do rinse the records first to get the worse crud off so maybe that helps.

albertan

Post by albertan » 24 Apr 2018 09:15

When I first purchased a Spin Clean I was disappointed. In many cases the albums sounded worse after cleaning than before. But! After hanging out here my opinion of the Spin Clean improved. I simply would not want to be without one.

I clean the brushes and the cloths in the washer using a hot water wash and a cold water rinse. As this is a very small load, I just add a tablespoon of Tide and a capful of bleach. The bleach is added to the bleach addition portal, not on the cloths and the brushes. I dry them by my record cleaning equipment, not in the dryer.

When I clean records with the Spin Clean. I add the prescribed amount of cleaner to the brushes with an eye dropper over the full surface of the brushes. This makes for a huge improvement of cleaning the first track and lead in grooves. I also go far beyond the 3 turns left and 3 turns right directions that Spin Clean suggests. I go 15 clockwise, 15 counter clockwise. 15 more clockwise, and 15 more counter clockwise. Then I rinse the record with distilled water with a spray bottle over the sink, or on my vacuum record cleaner. I only use distilled water. I use the drying cloths sparingly. I place the semi-dried record on a file holder available from any stationary store. The rinsing removes much of the snap, crackle and pop that is the downfall of the Spin Clean record cleaning system. If you have extra brushes, you might want to dump the cleaning solution and change out the brushes for clean brushes. Then refill the unit with distilled water only and rinse the record off this way. A couple of turns left and a couple of turns right. The brushes really do dig into the grooves for a much improved rinse.

With the extra turns you will notice that the cleaning solution is very filthy in 10-12 albums and is spent. With this enhanced cleaning and rinsing the records will be noticeably cleaner.