Do I need to clean new vinyl?

how clean is your house
reynolds617
United States of America

Re: Do I need to clean new vinyl?

Post by reynolds617 » 25 Apr 2018 12:03

Hi Chris: Thanks. Good advice. I just wish it was easier in general without having to rely on that. Discogs could be a better resource if they had the means to provide that data point. Sometimes people do in the comments, but usually not.

VinylT

Post by VinylT » 02 May 2018 20:24

My answer is a big yes!

I recently bought a new record “the glass animals” and played it straight out of the jacket, the moment the stylus dropped on the record it sounded like a record from hell. The pops and clicks were like crazy!,, I Couldn’t believe it was a new record. So I began cleaning it,..... went back to my tt,.... WTF I thought, no more pops and clicks!

Greats from The Netherlands

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 02 May 2018 20:30

Only if you want to maximize your sonic investment. I have never regretted cleaning a new record. Alas, I have regretted not doing so.

LPjoe1970

Post by LPjoe1970 » 05 May 2018 22:32

Best thing I ever discovered, and I’ve been treating ALL my vinyl with it, is an award winning spray called Gruv Glide. It’s a clear spray that comes with two black velvet pads and a white foam peanut to test for static. The spray not only does a beautiful job of picking up every single speck of dust, but, best of all, it leaves a super slick, micro coating, that protects your vinyl AND your stylus from wear. It is a spray, but is considered a dry treatment. You’re not left with a wet disc or a disc with streaks. The liquid dries before you can see it dry. It’s truly an amazing product and really makes the sound of your vinyl pop out. I highly recommend it. I always treat my brand new vinyl before I even set the needle on it for the first time.

GyroSE
Sweden

Post by GyroSE » 06 May 2018 06:38

Roberto C2H3 wrote:Only if you want to maximize your sonic investment. I have never regretted cleaning a new record. Alas, I have regretted not doing so.
I agree.

Brand new records are usually very easy to clean as they rarely have dirt and dust deep in the grooves. I approach a new record quite differently from a used one when it comes to the cleaning cycle on my RCM.

beedub

Post by beedub » 07 May 2018 21:08

Fire99 wrote:
reynolds617 wrote:
Fire99 wrote:It all depends on your tolerance factor- I started off not wet cleaning albums but eventually got tired of the noise and decided to buy a Spin Clean which lead me to a Music Hall RCM which finally lead me to a Loricraft. It’s been an expensive journey for me but I’m glad I did it. The end results have been astonishing, that I will not listen to a new album without a wash first. Just my experience and two cents. Dave
I would echo Dave's comments.
Here's my personal experience and opinion: wet cleaning definitely makes a difference.

the sonic differences, particularly for used vinyl is noticeable. It's just part of my ritual whenever I get a new record for my collection (new or used). I have various fluids I use depending on condition (a one step for new vinyl, three step for used, and an extra step to add to the three step if the vinyl's in really bad shape). I then put it in an anti-static sleeve, and stick it in the back of the 5 mil bag I use to protect the sleeve.

Overkill? Maybe. But I only buy stuff I know I'm going to listen to, I don't try to bolster the collection with titles I'll never use just to make it as big as possible. Once it's been cleaned, I know I won't have to do it again, and I know that it's going to sound as good as it can sound given the condition it came to me in.
IMO, it's worth investing in a wet-clean system given how much most people on this forum spend on gear, your media may as well sound its best. If you don't mind the noise or gunk getting on your stylus, then you probably don't need to bother. If you don't clean your vinyl, then I'd recommend an Onzow Zero Dust stylus cleaner at minimum. Does a great job of removing junk from the stylus that gets picked up in the grooves.
Yep, we have the same ritual/disease :D
I agree 100 %. to each their own, depends on how great a system you have and the depth of your obsession ;-). i have had used records go from so so to amazing clean sound and it takes about 15 min each record with scrubbing/vacuuming with 2 different Tergitol soaps then distilled water then a new antistatic sleeve. results are amazing if you have a good stylus and cartridge. a few albums have no noise at all after The Procedure. obsession yes, good sound Yes.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 08 May 2018 03:41

Ha! I love that: The Procedure. I'm totally stealing it.

"Sorry honey, can't help make dinner now, my new record is undergoing...The Procedure..."

sb1611

Post by sb1611 » 04 Jun 2018 12:02

In our part of the world the Spin-Clean is exorbitantly expensive for what it is, however I felt that it would give me the best amount of sound improvement for the money. Although I have only reset up my music system after twenty years packed away, the condition of the records was good. But after turning about 35 LP's on the Spin-Clean, when listening to the results, I noticed a tremendous amount of fine crackle throughout the record (masked during louder passages). With growing horror I played a German pressing of Sky 2 - near silence. A run through Spin Clean - full on crackle.
However after reading through fellow members experiences in this thread, I am hopeful that the situation is not as critical as I thought. Perhaps I need to run it through just using distilled water. (First posted on 'Spin-Clean Damaging Records?')

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 04 Jun 2018 15:00

You may be either pushing surface particles into the groove, the liquid may be leaving a deposit or - in the worst case - the cleaning may be damaging the surface.

I only ever used the Spin Cleans (after buying them to replace my Knostis which were wearing out) as a pair with one bath to "clean" (using the non-proprietary 80/20 mix discussed here and elsewhere) and then filtered water as a rinse stage with the records drying on the Knosti drying racks.

I *never* used their microfiber drying method (which is almost certainly the source of your issue) or their cleaning solution.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 04 Jun 2018 15:20

I only ever used the Spin Cleans (after buying them to replace my Knostis which were wearing out) as a pair with one bath to "clean" (using the non-proprietary 80/20 mix discussed here and elsewhere) and then filtered water as a rinse stage with the records drying on the Knosti drying racks.
I agree, except that I use two Knosti bath bins, one for cleaning, and one for rinsing. Works very well for me.

BoGibsonCA

Post by BoGibsonCA » 04 Jun 2018 19:55

Knieriem wrote:Do I really need to buy a Knosti just to play my new vinyl without damaging the records? Or is a carbon brush enough? Sure, they may sound better with a Knosti but will they actually wear out faster if I don't get one? I just want to play these damn things without damaging them.
Pretty simple and easy to wet clean the record when you buy it, then simply carbon fiber it each time you play it (if you keep it in a clean sleeve in between).

A Knosti or Spin Clean is fine. I happen to have an Okki Nokki. Good luck, all!

sb1611

Post by sb1611 » 05 Jun 2018 08:20

Peter Galbavy wrote:You may be either pushing surface particles into the groove, the liquid may be leaving a deposit or - in the worst case - the cleaning may be damaging the surface.
Im pretty sure after further reading of peoples experiences that it may either be deposits as you mention, or that the Spin Clean system leaves the record negatively charged.
I did quite a bit of research on the Spin Clean before buying, that and considering that it has been around for over 40 years convinced me that I am putting my money in the right place. Like others on the forums, i am going to make a home record vacuum attachment and test on less important LPs. Another interesting option I found on Vinylengine is using two in one shampoo, which I am in the process of testing - apparently this positively conditions the LP.

sb1611

Post by sb1611 » 05 Jun 2018 08:50

Ok Ive just read this -
vince1 wrote:I would suggest a different cleaning solution. The spin clean fluid is not good. Make your own non-ionic detergent mix or buy a good commercial record cleaner. Either way, follow with a dH2O rinse. Towels are not recommended either. The combination of their ionic cleaner fluid and rubbing with a towel introduces static - Spinclean knows about this. Get a vacuum wand to remove the final rinse and let air dry. I would bet this fixes your issues.
I am guilty I rub them (clockwise as directed), quite vigorously to dry. It could well be static.