Do I need to clean new vinyl?

how clean is your house
Knieriem

Re: Do I need to clean new vinyl?

Post by Knieriem » 24 Mar 2018 05:17

I definitely agree that there's a high entry barrier, probably wouldn't have bought any vinyl in the first place had I known what I know now. Not at this point in my life anyway. And I probably won't invest much more for now since I have bought most of the records I want. Just hoping to make my records somewhat listenable. Buying an RCM would cost me 1/3 of the money I've put into buying records so far.

The crackle I get is on either the L or R channel alternately. Probably 40 crackles a minute on most records.. Does this imply that there's a problem with the stylus bouncing around in the grooves rather than dirt only? I don't experience any distortion or other problems.

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 24 Mar 2018 22:58

If you can, take your records to someone with a good set up and play them.

ilyavictoria

Post by ilyavictoria » 24 Mar 2018 22:58

If you can, take your records to someone with a good set up and play them.

gorlokrg

Post by gorlokrg » 24 Mar 2018 23:13

I would add onto Victoria's post and say that most people who have a good set up will tend to have some of the best and notable cleaners for records. If you really think your record sounds bad, try having it tested on different systems.

This is the charm with records, as it always varies!
Salut from Ohio!

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 25 Mar 2018 20:30

Agreed. I think you need to start eliminating the potential sources of the problems. Bringing your records to someone with a good system will quickly tell you if it's the equipment or the media. Do you have a stylus cleaner? That's where I'd start.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 25 Mar 2018 23:12

There is a bit of prep-work needed prior to enjoying records, but it is nothing a twelve-year-old in 1982 couldn't handle. If what you are doing to your new records seems excessive or tedious, it probably is overkill.

A record brush and a stylus brush are all you really need for new records on a basic, good setup. They will sound great and last as long as you will want them to.

Use your record brush as needed for visible dust, and your stylus brush about every album-side and you will be a happy listener. Don't touch the grooves with your bare hands, and don't leave them out to collect dust... put them back in their sleeves when you are finished listening to them.

There is more you can do but, for the average listener and their new records, that is all that's necessary if you ask me. I do more for mine, but then I am in to the whole hobby-thing that is record collecting.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 26 Mar 2018 01:36

Good advice Gelid. If you're doing those things, the vinyl should sound fine. If not, it's likely an equipment problem. If there's a HiFi store near you, it probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to take the turntable there and have them take a look at it to make it but make sure it's been set up properly if you did it yourself. I can't imagine that would set you back very much.

Knieriem

Post by Knieriem » 29 Mar 2018 14:39

Playing a new vinyl now, dead quiet even though I see some visible dust... So something went wrong with my cleaning process and introduced crackle to all my vinyls. This is driving me mad. Any tips on where to go from here? Second rinse with distilled water? Buying and RCM is not an option. Just want to be able to fix this problem with the tools I have, which are two Knostis, L'art du son fluid and distilled water. Or buying something else if needed of course, but not a whole new approach like an RCM. Should I try to add an surfactant to the L'art du son and clean them again?

Have got stylus cleaning fluid and a stylus brush that I use between each record side.

Agree with you Gelid, should have went with that approach instead. So pissed that the "mandatory" cleaning of my new vinyls made them unlistenable, really regret going with that approach. I just hope that I can remedy the problem somehow and that the records weren't destroyed by the Knosti. Hopefully it's just that all the cleaning fluid didn't come off properly.

Knieriem

Post by Knieriem » 29 Mar 2018 16:02

So I get some similar crackling sounds if I touch the platter with no record even on it. Seems like this might be a clue to my problems? The ground wire is in pretty bad shape and it has come apart a bit, meaning some of the metal wiring has separated from each other. Also, I know my apartment has crazy noisy power outs which can be heard when I record my guitar for example.

Knieriem

Post by Knieriem » 29 Mar 2018 17:02

Currently listening to Arvo Pärt - Fur alina after rinsing it a second time in distilled water. Dead quiet. Probably because the pressing is really good. Listening in my studio reference headphones probably would reveal some crackle, but hey I'm enjoying listening to a vinyl in speakers. There's hope!

lreneat

Post by lreneat » 29 Mar 2018 21:07

Unless you can buy new and used LP's really cheap why bother? If same music is available on CD for less $ buy it. CD's don't have the many problems that come with vinyl records. I buy lots of decent condition used LP's on the cheap, many of which have not yet been reissued on CD format.

Knieriem

Post by Knieriem » 30 Mar 2018 05:58

lreneat wrote:Unless you can buy new and used LP's really cheap why bother? If same music is available on CD for less $ buy it. CD's don't have the many problems that come with vinyl records. I buy lots of decent condition used LP's on the cheap, many of which have not yet been reissued on CD format.
I see no reason to buy CDs, might as well have the music as digital files on my computer. I buy music I really like on vinyl because is gives a different experience of the music than digital formats can offer, I have all my vinyls as mp3 or flac as well. But yeah, starting to see the problems with the vinyl format. If I could turn back time I would have spent the money on some badass speakers or something.

ChrisGeezer

Post by ChrisGeezer » 24 Apr 2018 19:02

New LP's? I generally only buy new LP's that have been pressed from an analogue master. Those LP's pressed by people who love vinyl and analogue. Those LP's are put into quality inner sleeves AND I've never had to clean one!(am I just lucky?)

The majority of new vinyl releases are from digital masters, whose companies are not too fussy re the packaging, as long as the money made from the sale buoys their bank balance.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 25 Apr 2018 01:48

ChrisGeezer wrote:New LP's? I generally only buy new LP's that have been pressed from an analogue master. Those LP's pressed by people who love vinyl and analogue. Those LP's are put into quality inner sleeves AND I've never had to clean one!(am I just lucky?)

The majority of new vinyl releases are from digital masters, whose companies are not too fussy re the packaging, as long as the money made from the sale buoys their bank balance.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't paint with too broad a brush there. I think many independent labels take greater care, and unless your system is very revealing, you may not be able to tell that much of a difference. Plus, and here's my main point I suppose, how the heck can you tell if it was sourced from an analog master? I have a devil of a time trying to determine this on Discogs or indeed elsewhere. It's information that is not readily available.

I have some pressings that sound rubbish, sure. Mainly from the 80s and 90s when vinyl wasn't a priority and digital was the norm. I have others from that period which are fantastic (and some modern ones as well). You can see my system, it's nothing particularly special. Maybe this is more important to people with higher end equipment which may reveal more flaws and mine just can't pick out as much detail. I guess unless an album is REALLY important to me, I'll make a cursory effort to determine the best pressing, but the lack of an easy way to determine the source is a bit of a hinderance.

I have seen examples where something sourced from an analog master is far superior. My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" reissued this year being a prime example.

ChrisGeezer

Post by ChrisGeezer » 25 Apr 2018 06:22

Hi Renolds, if on the sleeve it says all analogue, or cut from analogue, I'll buy. If not I won't. There are companies who do let you know what you're buying.