Better way to repair a record jacket ?

how clean is your house
georgesgiralt
France

Better way to repair a record jacket ?

Post by georgesgiralt » 15 Jun 2019 18:20

Hello,
I've a couple of records with the jackets cut on the edge. A long time ago, they had been repaired using Selo Tape and this is not a good move. The tape has become yellow, unglued and everything has to be redone.
So I'm looking for the better way to repair the cuts.
All ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your help.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Better way to repair a record jacket ?

Post by circularvibes » 15 Jun 2019 19:57

My method to repair jacket edges is to use masking tape or any good paper tape, like a book binding tape, folded in half, sticky side out and applied carefully inside the jacket. This gives a strong edge and it slips nicely with inner sleeves. I found plastic tapes like Scotch or celanese to cause the inner sleeves to catch. It also does not fold into a nice crease. My method is invisibe on the outside and if it happens to stain from the glue, no one will see it. I have had no staining issues in over 20 years using this method.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 16 Jun 2019 07:52

That's a very good idea, indeed !
Thank you !

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 17 Jun 2019 00:28

And the white Statedler (sp?) teasers are excellent for cleaning up the outer jackets.

kingpin1935
Wales

Post by kingpin1935 » 17 Jun 2019 12:29

I know Staedler as a pencil manufacturer but what are teasers please?I`m guessing pencil erasers but I`ve not heard that term before.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 17 Jun 2019 16:10

I suspect it was a failed auto-correct. I also use white (Mars) erasers to clean outers.

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » 20 Jun 2019 17:50

Drawing upon materials on hand, I've successfully cut an inch or so of the folded/glued edges of old paper inner sleeves. I then glue the resulting gutters inside damaged jackets. A fairly effective use of material otherwise destined for the recycle bin. Often only a few inches of paper gutter is enough for the repair, so one sacrificial inner can repair several damaged outers.

I do retain inners that accompanied specific LPs - photos, lyrics, etc. I retain more generic inners, retaining best specimen, for history's sake. (Such is my rationalization!) If the inner is good enough, I'll give it to a friend who sells second hand records.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Jun 2019 18:06

Here are some more thoughts regarding LP cover repair and restoration...

Bags Unlimited had their own thoughts, as well...

And even more thoughts here...

https://lpcoverlover.com/restoration-tips/

Hopefully, something there will help There are many solutions out there, too, and I would also advise this...If you try any of these methods, it might be good to practice on a really beat-up cover or "throwaway" album before trying to work on a more valuable one...Just my two cents FWIW... 8-[