the home of the turntable

Problems recording with a NUC

the mix tape forum

Problems recording with a NUC

Postby theredferrari » 20 Mar 2017 23:45

Experts

Please forgive me if this is out of place but digital audio is so far and wide nowadays.

I have an Intel NUC6i5SYH NUC connected to Zone 2 of my Denon AVR-X2300 AV receiver via HDMI.

I want to rip my records and have connected an RCA to 3.5mm cable to Zone 2 of my receiver.

When I connect the cable into the NUC mic / headphone port, I see a Realtec window open and I choose if I have a headset, mic etc. I choose mic (but have also chosen the other headset options which are present).

No sound at all. My connections are ok and zone 2 works. I am using the Intel sound driver released last January. I have tried Stereo Mix and Mic in the Sound section of Control Panel. I use Windows 10.

I wonder if the NUC is designed for line-in purposes. Am I doing something wrong?

I really want to avoid buying a TASCAM SD-400 (or whatever their cheapest model is called) as space is very tight in my cabinet and the NUC is my theatre PC.

Thanks
Red
Not in Use: Rega RP6; Groove Tracer Reference sub-platter; Groove Tracer delrin platter; single Rega white belt; Rega 8mm shim; Rega low profile counterweight; In Use: Denon DP-59L; Denon AVR-X2300; Panasonic DMR-BWT740GL; Sony HAP-S1; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Q Acoustics 3050; Intel NUC6i5SYH.
theredferrari

Australia

Re: Problems recording with a NUC

Postby Rice » 21 Mar 2017 23:16

Not sure if I understood you correctly.I also must say that I don't have a Denon AV receiver either.
But will try to give some opinions.
In the Realtec software there are several ways to configure your sound path.

There are coloured input and output jacks on your pc.The litlle orange speaker in the right lower corner of the lower task bar , is where you can set (up) your behaviour for the Realtec.

There you can choose in what format it should play the sounds - Cd or DVD.
You can choose 44.1 kHz 16bit - 48kHz 16bits - 96kHz 16 bits etc.

Then you also have the white litlle speaker.That is where you can adjust the overall volume in the sound path(s).Right click on it and you can choose from - Playback devices.

This is obviously what you should configure.Choosing for Playback devices will open a new window , where you can configure the Realtec sound path.
You can enable or disable certain devices.

In the Volume mixer , you can specify how much sound will pass through the mixer.
If the Realtec volume slider is all the way down , you will not hear any sound.

So , you cannot set the sound ONLY in the Realtec software.You also need to work in conjunction with the Windows - small white speaker - settings.

HTH

Eric
Technics SP-25/SME3009IIISMkI/ADC TRX-II/mounted
on massive grey marble(43kg)/2nd SP-25/SME3009IIIS
MkII/DL103(43kg)/Denon PRA-1000/PRA-1500/Pow Amp
POA-1500/Luxman M-150 classic1975)/PhonoPre ProjPhon
BoxSE2/Speakers IMF TLS-80MkII/CartsDL-160/ADC XLM
Rice
contributor

theredferrari

Postby theredferrari » 25 Mar 2017 05:32

Eric

Thanks for your advice. I have toyed with the driver settings and mixer to no avail. I am now using a trrs 4 pole 3.5mm to rca cable as well. I think it is time to buy a real recorder like a Tascam or Denon for eg.

Red
Not in Use: Rega RP6; Groove Tracer Reference sub-platter; Groove Tracer delrin platter; single Rega white belt; Rega 8mm shim; Rega low profile counterweight; In Use: Denon DP-59L; Denon AVR-X2300; Panasonic DMR-BWT740GL; Sony HAP-S1; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Q Acoustics 3050; Intel NUC6i5SYH.
theredferrari

Australia

Re: Problems recording with a NUC

Postby Rice » 25 Mar 2017 23:50

Still I would make some remarks.I can't quite understand what you mean.You say that you have connected the NUC to the Zone 2 of the AVR with a HDMI cable.
What is the purpose of this ?

2 - Then you have another cable - RCA to 3.5mm cable to Zone 2 of my receiver.What's the purpose of this cable ?

3 - then you connect "the cable" (which one) to the NUC mic / headphone port, I see a Realtec window open .

4 - you say then there is no sound.But I don't see you mention from which source the audio should come !!!
Are you trying to get the source audio from the Zone 2 via the HDMI ??

And via the same Zone 2 , you also have the 3.5mm jack plugged to the audio card input on the NUC.

I'm not so sure if this will work.On one hand you use the HDMI interface > going to the NUC (I suppose also a HDMI interface input).

And then you also have the RCA/3.5 mm jack cable , from another Zone 2 jack (input or output ?), going into the NUC's audio card.

Have you confirmed that you get sound out of the Zone 2 via the HDMI ?Is the sound coming in the NUC ?If it's not coming in the NUC , then what is the purpose of this connection ??

No sound in to the NUC , will obviously give no sound out to the AVR !!

Furthermore is the Realtec soundcard in the NUC working ?Have you checked this ?

You use Win 10 - there were some issues with W 10 in that it was installing the wrong drivers for some devices , or it was disabling some devices.
You could try to re-install the Realtec drivers (also see if it can do better with W7 or Vista drivers).

Try 2 different ways.Uninstall the card - Reboot - install the (new) driver.See if your card is working.

Uninstall the card.Shut down the NUC - take out the sound card if it's a separate device.Boot up and install the new drivers.
Shut down - put the audio card back in - re-boot and let it search for new devices.

Or it may automatically find the new device and install the new drivers.

HTH

Eric
Technics SP-25/SME3009IIISMkI/ADC TRX-II/mounted
on massive grey marble(43kg)/2nd SP-25/SME3009IIIS
MkII/DL103(43kg)/Denon PRA-1000/PRA-1500/Pow Amp
POA-1500/Luxman M-150 classic1975)/PhonoPre ProjPhon
BoxSE2/Speakers IMF TLS-80MkII/CartsDL-160/ADC XLM
Rice
contributor

Return to Vinyl Ripping