VinylStudio vs. Pure Vinyl for digitizing records ?

the mix tape forum
jmah80

VinylStudio vs. Pure Vinyl for digitizing records ?

Post by jmah80 » 19 Sep 2016 18:15

Hello,

Is there anyone with experience using both of these programs who can give me some guidance as to which is better? Does anyone prefer one over the other? Is Pure Vinyl that much better that it's worth $300?

I just started playing with the demo versions of each. I'm not so concerned about which is easier to use. I'm mostly interested in the features like RIAA equalization, de-click and noise reduction.

Will Pure Vinyl do these things that much better that it's worth the extra money?

Thanks !

rich12

Re: VinylStudio vs. Pure Vinyl for digitizing records ?

Post by rich12 » 19 Sep 2016 23:50

jmah80 wrote: I'm mostly interested in the features like RIAA equalization, de-click and noise reduction.
I've never used Pure Vinyl and was never interested in trying it. I had multiple phono preamps so I had no interest in doing RIAA equalization via software.

For click removal, I highly recommend Click Repair. I'm not aware of anything better for automated use. For non-automated use, I use Adobe Audition.

I own and have used Vinyl Studio for recording, but haven't used the click removal feature because I own Click Repair and Adobe Audition.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 20 Sep 2016 08:36

Why not look at Wave Corrector - does all elements for a lot less - been using it for nearly 20 years.

GaryG45

Post by GaryG45 » 26 Sep 2016 02:06

I've used Vinyl Studio for 4 years and have been very happy with it. The feature I like about it is that I can use sources like Discogs to automatically provide track names and approximate track breaks. Once I have an approximate track break location I manually set the track break. I have used the click removal software, and it is pretty good. There are some albums that still have some noticeable clicks, and I'm planning to use Click Repair for them.

I looked at Pure Vinyl, but because of the price decided to try Vinyl Studio first. I've never found a reason to change. If Vinyl Studio didn't work out, I think Wave Corrector and Audacity were next on my list to try. I would stay away from Roxio products, as one of them was the first product that I used, and it was pretty poor.

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 30 Sep 2016 06:00

http://www.clickrepair.net/ is beyond stellar.
The same author also has a free (!) equaliser that can be used to
translate between various record eq schemes, or between flat and RIAA.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/rip_it_1_e.html

Conrad Laval

Post by Conrad Laval » 09 Jan 2017 16:05

I have used Wave Corrector and Vinyl-Studio a lot and found Vinyl-Studio more developped for noise discrimination between cliks and what is alike parts of percusives sounds and have to be kepted. Vinyl-studio also offer access to database for timing pieces of music. An improvement that i search is a better way to ripp mono programs and maybe a phase view of the stereo channels. On the tape recording side Vinyl-Studio may also be improved by adding a way to de-Dolby and expand what was recorded with my dbx 224 , i think i am dreaming..so

Post any comment that may Help.
Thanks

SangieWolf
United States of America

Post by SangieWolf » 13 Oct 2018 08:07

I am very interested in Pure Vinyl and will pay the high price if it's as amazing as Version 4 looks.

I can't seem to find a review of it online...

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 13 Oct 2018 10:54

Get software that supports the easiest automatic acquisition and application of metadata.

GaryG45

Post by GaryG45 » 13 Oct 2018 15:22

I agree with Sterling1 about metadata, which is the reason I switched from a Roxio product to Vinyl Studio 6 years ago. I suggest trialing the products that interest you and/or searching for YouTube videos on usage of the products.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 13 Oct 2018 16:00

GaryG45 wrote:
13 Oct 2018 15:22
I agree with Sterling1 about metadata, which is the reason I switched from a Roxio product to Vinyl Studio 6 years ago. I suggest trialing the products that interest you and/or searching for YouTube videos on usage of the products.
Yes, Roxio has that shortcoming, for sure. When I use it I just create a CD which I name from album title, then rip it to iTunes. iTunes will get track nomenclature from the album title and insert all to the file. There are easier means as you have discovered.

SangieWolf
United States of America

Post by SangieWolf » 15 Oct 2018 00:03

Sterling1 wrote:
13 Oct 2018 10:54
Get software that supports the easiest automatic acquisition and application of metadata.
I'm more concerned with which software cleans up the audio the best.

Most DJ vinyls have 2 to 4 tracks on it so the metadata isn't a chore.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 15 Oct 2018 21:24

IME if you're expecting any software to find the metadata for a ripped LP you're deluding yourself.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 15 Oct 2018 22:28

JoeE SP9 wrote:
15 Oct 2018 21:24
IME if you're expecting any software to find the metadata for a ripped LP you're deluding yourself.
Today's software easily finds the metadata for a ripped LP. I do it with iTunes. Here's how: I record LP to computer using Roxio software and I use that software then to separate tracks and clean up the recording. Instead of exporting to iTunes, which would not have any track titles, I export to CD, which I label to match LP's artist and title nomenclature. That's it. Next, I rip the CD to iTunes, whereby iTunes will automatically find and insert track titles. So far, it's found everything I've thrown at it and it's been a huge time saver.

GaryG45

Post by GaryG45 » 15 Oct 2018 23:08

JoeE SP9 wrote:
Vinyl Studio uses Discogs, Musicbrainz, and a few other music databases to populate the track titles, album year, and album art. I agree that LP ripping software doesn't get detailed metadata. For detailed metadata I use the discogs websources scripts from mp3tag.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 16 Oct 2018 15:38

Sterling1 wrote:
15 Oct 2018 22:28
JoeE SP9 wrote:
Today's software easily finds the metadata for a ripped LP. I do it with iTunes. Here's how: I record LP to computer using Roxio software and I use that software then to separate tracks and clean up the recording. Instead of exporting to iTunes, which would not have any track titles, I export to CD, which I label to match LP's artist and title nomenclature. That's it. Next, I rip the CD to iTunes, whereby iTunes will automatically find and insert track titles. So far, it's found everything I've thrown at it and it's been a huge time saver.
That's an awful of work.