the home of the turntable

Audio interface manufacturers / products

the mix tape forum

Re: Audio interface manufacturers / products

Postby ToolBee » 17 Jul 2017 01:45

update:
New computer has been installed, and will not be recording. As the good old PCI-slot is being phased out and my new pc is lacking one also.
However I decided my trusty 2001 P4, with PCI, in which the card was installed at first, will be put to use for this purpose only. As it runs XP it is not hooked up to any network.

Luckily I also purchaased an S.M.S.L. Sanskrit DAC. Pure for listenig of course. But with what pleasure! Over SPDIF optical with its own power supply (which is a subject to future upgrade..). Keeping the pc-buzz out as much as possible. It does run over USB, audio only, no power issues, but I choose to keep my pc and audio set electrically separated. Both systems have their own surge-protected line conditioners. ;)

I can really recommend these tiny chi-fi boxes. Especially for that price. Bought mine for 100 euros, all new and with warranty. From a nice fellow too.

Will update on how/if the old system comes back online and performs with my old Onkyo receiver attached... And find out how (bad) my old Kenwood Midiset recordplayer souds.
ToolBee

Netherlands

Postby ripblade » 17 Jul 2017 02:14

lini wrote:rb: Which cards have you tried in combination with DirectSound? Because as far as I remember not all cards were affected/limited. And in some cases it also was a question of the software configration. For example, in case of some Envy24-based cards one had to disable Sensaura.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I wasn't aware of that, lini. When I explored the subject, I was using an MAudio Audiophile 2496, one of the early ones . I had an SB Audigy card already but as I recall it didn't support 24/96 recording even though it could play it. I assumed it was a hardware limitation but in retrospect, the difference might've been solely due to the API the card was limited to as the Audigy didn't include ASIO drivers.

This is going back quite a few years and might not even be relevant today.
ripblade

Canada

Postby ToolBee » 17 Jul 2017 02:20

ripblade wrote:This is going back quite a few years and might not even be relevant today.

M-Audio 2496 Audiophile! That IS the card I was using, happily, until my workstation died on me! Ahead of planning, as usual...

It does indeed outperfom anything with SB-logo on it. For us audiophiles that is. Gamers look elsewhere...
ToolBee

Netherlands

Postby turntabletechniques » 24 Nov 2017 13:06

The M-Audio was the classic budget PCI soundcard of the time and they later produced a 192 'audiophile' version for those that wanted the higher sample rates... I installed a couple into PC's for clients back in early 2000's and one is still going strong today whilst the other only upgraded 10 years later... Be interested to see how their new M-Audio Super DAC performs via USB.

If you are happy to consider old/discontinued models, I can recommend the Alesis IO firewire for performance/versatility, though you have to be aware of some well known potential faults. My IO26 model has 8 line inputs and so can transfer 4 x turntables at a time.
In addition it even has a built-in phono stage which not too many interfaces had. I don't really use that myself though, as prefer my Graham Slee into one of the line inserts. Yes, with the inserts you can even bypass the mic/line pre-amp for cleanest signal path and gain has never yet been a problem - peaking up into the top 2 bits of the digital signal range with a wide range of records...
turntabletechniques

United Kingdom

Postby mkoerner » 17 Jul 2018 15:37

Currently one of the better affordable choices is the Soundblaster X-Fi HD USB. The internal Phono should be ignored for most purposes (although quite usable for measurements like crosstalk, Azimuth etc). If you have ground problems and/or want to improve the S/N Ratio a bit, you might consider to add an ifi iDefender as Powersupply and groundbreaker/isolator.

Mike
mkoerner
contributor

Germany

Previous

Return to Vinyl Ripping