Art USB Phono Plus Project Series

the mix tape forum
joedisco
Mexico

Art USB Phono Plus Project Series

Post by joedisco » 16 Oct 2019 07:12

Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me if the Art USB Phono Plus Project Series comes with a power supply included?

I want to use it for ripping but want it as a stand alone preamp as well... I like the feature of it working as a stand alone preamp....

(I already have the Art Pre DJ II which I love but want this USB phono for another turntable...)

One question that is very important for me to use it as a stand alone preamp and Im unclear about is if this Art USB Phono Plus PS comes with a power supply included or not?

I have been looking here and there and everywhere and I can not come to a conclusion wether it comes or not with a power supply...

Here is the one I see available:

https://www.amazon.com/ART-USB-Phono-Pl ... B000BBGCCI

https://artproaudio.com/product/usb-pho ... ct-series/

The instruction manual I find it a bit confusing about the power supply...

I wonder, I have seen some packed in blisters while others come packed in cardboard boxes... The ones in blisters show clearly the power supply included...

I want to try this usb interface and prefer it to come with its own power supply while I know there are plenty of third party wall wart power supply to buy elsewhere but you know, I guess a good one with clean power is not that easy to find.... And prefer to have the one designed for this USB interface...

Anyone here has this Art USB Phono Plus PS? Does it include power supply? If not, which power supply one you recommend?

Thanks!!

Dimal
Australia

Re: Art USB Phono Plus Project Series

Post by Dimal » 18 Oct 2019 13:23

G'day mate... :-)

Don't think it will come with its own PSU, uses the USB port for that.
You could grab a suitable USB Wall-wart charging station and plug the USB cable into that - Should power it up Ok.

Mal.
PowerOptions.JPG
(34.22 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 18 Oct 2019 16:00

What is the problem? If it does not come with a 9V wall wort, they are quite inexpensive to get .

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 18 Oct 2019 17:06

You only need a wall wort with a minimum 150mA output. :)

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 18 Oct 2019 22:20

Hello, thanks, yes, I know they are inexpensive, well, the only "problem" I can see is to get "quality" power supply, you know, something that provides "clean" energy....
Will look for one
Thanks...

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 18 Oct 2019 23:03

I imagine that the ART cleans up the power as a wall wart can feed the ART either DC or AC.

BTW , when first getting back into vinyl. I got the regular Art phono pre and it came with just an average 9v DC PS. The PS was nothing special and it sounded fine .:)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 19 Oct 2019 17:20

BTW, the comon type of power supply in question are called "switching" power supplies.

if you want a better kind of PS, you need a "linear" power supply which are much much more expensive and may or may not make any difference in a given application.

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 21 Oct 2019 04:19

JDJX wrote:
19 Oct 2019 17:20
BTW, the comon type of power supply in question are called "switching" power supplies.

if you want a better kind of PS, you need a "linear" power supply which are much much more expensive and may or may not make any difference in a given application.

Hello!

Yes, thanks for your answers.

I finally ordered Art USB Phono and I got it yesterday.

It came without power supply....

Well, I bought a very cheap power supply that is rated at 9 volts and up to one ampere.

This is a Chinese ps and it is generic, no brand, nothing.... It only says it is designed for Arduino circuits... (for people well into DIY electronics...)

Yes, I guess this is a "switching" power supply, it weighs nothing seems as if it has only air inside of it.

I tested it with a cheap multimeter and it consistently gives 9.37 volts, it is not going up or down... No variations, no fluctuations...

My cheap multimeter can show variations in other power supplies and batteries...

(Of course, I don't have any oscilloscope to see tiny variations over extended period of time nor variations under load)

I have this cheap power supply connected to a voltage regulator, maybe that helps.

On the other hand, I also have the Art DJ Pre II and it came with a 9 volts AC (yes, alternate current) power supply... It is very heavy!

Well, one thing I want to share in this forum is that right out of the box the Art USB was not delivering any music through left channel.

I was like "oh God, I got a defective unit, there is some hassle ahead...."

After testing cable connections, testing three turntables, speakers, etc, etc

Everything was right, but it was a hassle to try everything to look for troubles...

This problem was only if the Art USB was in "Phono" mode... When in "Line" mode there was no issue at all as both channels were working great....

Then I decided to connect headphones through the "monitor output" jack in the Art USB.....

Bam! There was music through both channels!

How fool I was, I must have done this in the first place!!

I took out headphones from my ears and there was music playing through both speakers coming from my receiver....

I wonder what was wrong?

It is as if by connecting the headphones something inside of the Art USB was unlocked, either physically or by firmware/software.... or I don't know, Im no expert in electronics....

So far it has been working fine and no issues again, both channels are working fine.

I have read complains that the Art USB sometimes has one channel that stops playing....

If any of you have this issue, I suggest firstly connect headphones through the monitor jack and see what happens instead of wasting your time (as I did) testing every single unit in your audio chain....

I have not ripped any vinyl so far as Im using Art USB phono as a stand alone preamp.

It works fine, there is no hum, no distorsion, nothing wrong with it...

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 21 Oct 2019 14:30

Great. :)

As you probably now imagined, there is some snake oil involving power supplies.
As you found out, even the inexpensive ones work just fine.

BTW, even my Lounge Audio phno pre uses a switching power supply to reduce the AV line voltage.
From there the Lounge Audio converts it to DC in its total dual mono design

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 21 Oct 2019 16:09

JDJX wrote:
21 Oct 2019 14:30
Great. :)

As you probably now imagined, there is some snake oil involving power supplies.
As you found out, even the inexpensive ones work just fine.

BTW, even my Lounge Audio phno pre uses a switching power supply to reduce the AV line voltage.
From there the Lounge Audio converts it to DC in its total dual mono design
Hi!

Yes, I see!

By the way, I wonder if I should worry about my Art USB not working the left channel right-out-of the box....

I wonder why when I connected the headphones in the Art USB headphone jack it instantly solved the problem and brought the left channel to work

So far it has been working fine and both channels are good (using it as a stand alone preamp) but when I listened to it in the first time the left channel was completely dead.... Then it started to work the moment I connected the headphones... Should I worry?

Well, thanks!!

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 21 Oct 2019 16:55

That might just be some sort of an idiosyncrasy with the Art USB under certain conditions.
Keep in mind that the ART USB was built basically "on top" of the basic ART phono pre. So, there might be a glitch or two at times .

As long as you got it working now, that is all that really matters. :)