Vinyl ripping soundcard below 100 euros (or dollars as well)

the mix tape forum
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Re: Vinyl ripping soundcard below 100 euros (or dollars as w

Post by lini » 29 Jun 2018 18:24

Joe: You got it the wrong way around - i.e., it's the UFO, that sports the (switchable) phono(/line) input. Whereas the UCAs are line-level only, but additionally sport a direct-monitoring switch and optical SPDIF output instead.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 31 Jul 2018 18:02

Damn fingers. They are supposed to correct my brain misfires. #-o

It wouldn't be so bad except that I have a UCA-222. :mrgreen:

BTW: I've been unable to find any real difference between the 202 and 222 other than the color of the case. My 222 which is Red has UCA-202 for a model number molded into the plastic case. :?:

ttechnics

Post by ttechnics » 26 Sep 2018 13:31

Better to just buy a digital copy (if it exists) of what it is you want to record, than record with cheap equipment. The result was rather underwhelming for me and this was with a soundcard that cost £200 or thereabouts. YMMV but I found anything less than an expensive soundcard was unsatisfactory.

Just trying to save you some money, if you're the picky sort.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 27 Sep 2018 12:38

From critical listening experiments comparing vinyl, digitized vinyl, and CDs of same material I can say excellent digitization, that means sound indistinguishable from vinyl or CD, is possible with the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD. And, when the digitization is declicked it will not subject you to distracting pops as will the vinyl. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... &gclsrc=ds

ttechnics

Post by ttechnics » 27 Sep 2018 14:08

Really, completely indistinguishable? That is quite a claim and quite something if true. Maybe I should pick one up and see how it compares to my expensive RME. I had purchased a Focusrite Scarlett before the RME and found both the ADC and DAC lacking.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 27 Sep 2018 16:22

42519946935_3bd366e347_z.jpg
(185.21 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
ttechnics wrote:Really, completely indistinguishable? That is quite a claim and quite something if true. Maybe I should pick one up and see how it compares to my expensive RME. I had purchased a Focusrite Scarlett before the RME and found both the ADC and DAC lacking.
Yes indistinguishable, from listening impressions; and, maybe you should pick one up. Ya might be saddened though that you paid more than you needed to spend for excellence from your "expensive RME". After all, external sound cards are not unsettled science proven by my X-Fi HD delivering conversions as well as my OPPO UDP-205. There's just not a corollary today with price and quality. I know, I've got a magnificent system; yet, my iPhone sending iTunes to HT mains via Airport Express gives, for the most part, a very life-like music presentation

Dimal
Australia

Post by Dimal » 28 Sep 2018 13:45

ttechnics wrote:Better to just buy a digital copy (if it exists) of what it is you want to record, than record with cheap equipment. The result was rather underwhelming for me and this was with a soundcard that cost £200 or thereabouts. YMMV but I found anything less than an expensive soundcard was unsatisfactory.
Agree... :)

That has been my experience as well.
Ended up with a Mytek 192 ADC for all my archiving tasks and the results have been excellent. 8)

Mal.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 28 Sep 2018 15:03

24641850610_4da97510b2_z.jpg
(116.69 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
I've been digitizing vinyl since it became possible in the early 1990's, first with a professional HHB CD Recorder. Today, I digitize to computer hard drive. Then and now, the result has not required equipment expenditures considered to be "expensive". Certainly, today, the only thing that's expensive about it is the cost of labor, if that is taken into account. Nevertheless, for any who have the time, the best vinyl digitization results can be done for peanuts. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am getting perfect results using a $99 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD. Just last night I digitized "The Bach Album/Eugene Ormandy and, as I write this post, I am enjoying that album via Airplay from iTunes on my computer to my home theatre mains, thinking, the digitized album actually sounds better than vinyl since I declicked the recording. At any rate, I've got some superb stand alone digital recorders with superb ADCS, as well as a digital edit controller that gives me under 3 frame time-code accuracy, which for grins and giggles I have occasionally used to digitize LPs marked with ideally located track separators, and I've got to tell ya, while that means to digitize LPs gets a great result for the $27,000 I put into it, it's overkill, since the X-Fi HD between turntable and laptop performs just as well.

bbr620
Scotland

Post by bbr620 » 29 Sep 2018 17:33

You can pick up an old Tascam US122mkII USB Audio Interface or a PCI MAudio 24/96 card on ebay for between 10-50GBP now and they both have excellent SNR Ratios around 90-100dB with a frequency range around 20Hz to 20kHz.

This won't give you excellent quality vinyl rips though, the Turntable, RCA Cabling and Cartridge are probably more important than the sound card.

docdan

Post by docdan » 03 Oct 2018 20:38

Another option is the ART USB Phono Plus, good for vinyl ripping and includes a good MM phono preamp -- can be used as a standalone preamp as well. About $70-80.

ttechnics

Post by ttechnics » 04 Oct 2018 14:57

bbr620 wrote:This won't give you excellent quality vinyl rips though, the Turntable, RCA Cabling and Cartridge are probably more important than the sound card.
Have you compared recordings taken with different soundcards? I'd say that every stage is important and if the soundcard is not up to standard the rips won't be as good as they can be.

Maybe I should be a guinea pig and put some money into the Soundblaster card metnioned upthread and see if the rips are just as good as my RME and, if not, how close they are. Certainly I am in favour of saving money wherever possible, though sound quality wasn't the only goal for me, also low latency.
After all, external sound cards are not unsettled science proven by my X-Fi HD delivering conversions as well as my OPPO UDP-205.

Perhaps that could be explained by the OPPO being mainly a DAC, rather than an ADC...it would make sense if the ADC had less attention paid to it, given the main role of the equipment.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 04 Oct 2018 15:40

ttechnics wrote:
bbr620 wrote:This won't give you excellent quality vinyl rips though, the Turntable, RCA Cabling and Cartridge are probably more important than the sound card.
Have you compared recordings taken with different soundcards? I'd say that every stage is important and if the soundcard is not up to standard the rips won't be as good as they can be.

Maybe I should be a guinea pig and put some money into the Soundblaster card metnioned upthread and see if the rips are just as good as my RME and, if not, how close they are. Certainly I am in favour of saving money wherever possible, though sound quality wasn't the only goal for me, also low latency.
After all, external sound cards are not unsettled science proven by my X-Fi HD delivering conversions as well as my OPPO UDP-205.

Perhaps that could be explained by the OPPO being mainly a DAC, rather than an ADC...it would make sense if the ADC had less attention paid to it, given the main role of the equipment.
My comment "after all, external sound cards are not unsettled science proven by my X-Fi HD delivering conversions..." is not worded to communicate clearly, should be: after all, external sound cards are not unsettled science proven by my X-Fi delivering DAC conversions which sound as good as DAC conversions produced by my OPPO UDP-205. The X-Fi delivers at 24/96, while the OPPO delivers at 24/192 from the latest state-of-the-art ESS DACS. I can also state the X-Fi's ADC delivers as good a digitization as my $7200.00 Sony PCM-7010F DAT Recorder, which is recognized as having a superb ADC. At any rate, of course any digitization outcome will be subject to process equipment atributes/limitations; but, the X-Fi HD's ADC & DAC in my chain supports delivery of a perfect product, that's to say, a digital file which sounds identical to the LP from which the digital file was created. BTW, I've seen the X-Fi HD recently advertised as low as $79.99. Seems like quite a deal for an external sound card with every function: RCA line input & phono input, usb, and optical S/PDIF in/out; plus, 1/4 inch headphone and mic jacks.

ttechnics

Post by ttechnics » 04 Oct 2018 16:16

Sterling1 wrote:I can also state the X-Fi's ADC delivers as good a digitization as my $7200.00 Sony PCM-7010F DAT Recorder, which is recognized as having a superb ADC.
I'm sure it does, but isn't the DAT recorder about 20 years old. Perhaps the cutting edge of 20 years ago is comparable to the budget end of the digital world today? I imagine the technology has improved a bit in the intervening years. Probably more expensive ADC equipment has improved too?

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 04 Oct 2018 17:42

ttechnics wrote:
Sterling1 wrote:I can also state the X-Fi's ADC delivers as good a digitization as my $7200.00 Sony PCM-7010F DAT Recorder, which is recognized as having a superb ADC.
I'm sure it does, but isn't the DAT recorder about 20 years old. Perhaps the cutting edge of 20 years ago is comparable to the budget end of the digital world today? I imagine the technology has improved a bit in the intervening years. Probably more expensive ADC equipment has improved too?
ADCs were, it appears, perfected sometime around 1990 for 16/44 and 16/48. So, the question is how can something perfect be made more perfect when there is no problem to solve? The answer is increase bits and bites, if you believe increasing bits and bites makes digital sound better. The only thing I know for sure is the price of quality has come down. That is what you'd expect to happen or be probable over time and the X-Fi demonstrates it.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 16 Oct 2018 21:54

ranzoing wrote:
22 May 2018 07:05
Sunwire wrote:I have no experience with Adobe Audition, but Audacity works very well and is a free download.
From what I can see, there's no reason you should need any additional hardware.
You should be able to use the mic input on the laptop.
I'm able to record using mic input but quality is very poor...
Not only is the quality poor, it's a mono input.