Understanding how to digitize vinyl

the mix tape forum
joedisco
Mexico

Understanding how to digitize vinyl

Post by joedisco » 03 Aug 2019 09:56

Hi all!
Well, I have never done this but Im about to buy the Behringer U-PHONO UFO202 and plan to use Audacity... I have read and seen videos on how to use the UFO202 and seems pretty clear.
Not familiar with Audacity though but Im starting to read...
Ok, just a bunch of general questions... Please realize Im new, sorry, so Im trying to understand this technology...

1) I have windows 10, I wonder if UFO202 and Audacity are compatible with windows 10? (I have read some people have troubles but just wonder)

2) What kind of signal (digital or analogic) is UFO202 (or any other audio interface for that matter) sending through USB into my computer?

3) Is UFO202 sending analog or digital signal?

4) Is my PC messing with that signal in the sense that it would be degraded in some way?

5) I read that UFO202 can provide 48Khz sampling so I guess UFO202 is sending digital signal through USB, am I right?

6) So UFO202 must have an analog to digital converter integrated, right?

7) If so, I guess Audacity will allow me to record my vinyl tracks into 48/16 FLAC files, right?

8) If so, would I have troubles playing 48/16 FLAC files in some devices such as basic cellphones?

9) Should I better record vinyl tracks into 44.1/16 FLAC files so to make those files universally compatible even with the most basic audio systems or cellphones?

10) Or maybe it is better to record vinyl tracks into 48/16 FLAC files and then perhaps Audacity allows me to later "resampling" a 48khz file into a 44.1 in case I find troubles playing those 48khz files in some cellphones or audio systems...?

11) Finally, is it possible to convert a 48/16 FLAC file into MP3 using Audacity? Ok, I know people hate MP3 files because they are lossy but I still use them to take music to my car stereo and save space in usb memories. So this last question I find important because I know at some point I will want to convert FLAC files into MP3 for reasons of convenience as to play music in my car stereo and in my desktop at my job...

Thanks all in advance!!

Gravitar8
Canada

Re: Understanding how to digitize vinyl

Post by Gravitar8 » 03 Aug 2019 12:27

Check out the latest threads at Classical Music currently playing- there is a member who seems to be very well versed in ripping vinyl- i bet he can offer some sound advice-
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... h=cd03358b

jiiteepee

Post by jiiteepee » 03 Aug 2019 15:21

joedisco wrote:
03 Aug 2019 09:56
Hi all!
Well, I have never done this but Im about to buy the Behringer U-PHONO UFO202 and plan to use Audacity... I have read and seen videos on how to use the UFO202 and seems pretty clear.
Not familiar with Audacity though but Im starting to read...
Ok, just a bunch of general questions... Please realize Im new, sorry, so Im trying to understand this technology...

1) I have windows 10, I wonder if UFO202 and Audacity are compatible with windows 10? (I have read some people have troubles but just wonder)

2) What kind of signal (digital or analogic) is UFO202 (or any other audio interface for that matter) sending through USB into my computer?

3) Is UFO202 sending analog or digital signal?

4) Is my PC messing with that signal in the sense that it would be degraded in some way?

5) I read that UFO202 can provide 48Khz sampling so I guess UFO202 is sending digital signal through USB, am I right?

6) So UFO202 must have an analog to digital converter integrated, right?

7) If so, I guess Audacity will allow me to record my vinyl tracks into 48/16 FLAC files, right?

8) If so, would I have troubles playing 48/16 FLAC files in some devices such as basic cellphones?

9) Should I better record vinyl tracks into 44.1/16 FLAC files so to make those files universally compatible even with the most basic audio systems or cellphones?

10) Or maybe it is better to record vinyl tracks into 48/16 FLAC files and then perhaps Audacity allows me to later "resampling" a 48khz file into a 44.1 in case I find troubles playing those 48khz files in some cellphones or audio systems...?

11) Finally, is it possible to convert a 48/16 FLAC file into MP3 using Audacity? Ok, I know people hate MP3 files because they are lossy but I still use them to take music to my car stereo and save space in usb memories. So this last question I find important because I know at some point I will want to convert FLAC files into MP3 for reasons of convenience as to play music in my car stereo and in my desktop at my job...

Thanks all in advance!!
Audacity is Windows 10 compatible ... check the UFO202 situation from Behringer site.
USB is digital path.
Audacity works internally min. 32-bit data format so it won't degrade recorded data in any case unless you add some FX processing.
You don't record FLAC or MP3 ... FLAC and MP3 are 3rd party formats rendered from Audacity data.
Audacity can save as MP3 as well.
If UFO202's native format is 16/48 then use it all the way (MP3 supports 48 as well but not all hardware playback devices do same).
48-->41 conversion isn't lossless and may degrade the quality (even in hearing range) a bit ... to avoid degradation use good SRC software ... free Voxengo r8brain does decent conversion.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 03 Aug 2019 15:30

Gravitar8 wrote:
03 Aug 2019 12:27
Check out the latest threads at Classical Music currently playing- there is a member who seems to be very well versed in ripping vinyl- i bet he can offer some sound advice-
Grvr8, can you repost the link, this one ^ takes me to the index page.

TIA

Fred

Dimal
Australia

Post by Dimal » 04 Aug 2019 13:30

G'day Joe... :-)

For a lot of insight into the process, can highly recommend reading through this excellent piece from Werner Ogiers... 8-)
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/rip_it_1_e.html

Mal.

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 05 Aug 2019 03:11

Thanks all... Will proceed to read links suggested here...
;)

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 05 Aug 2019 22:34

Hard to do since there are lots of them spread out but start here and/or message Darth Maul hes the dude
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... start=1815
fscl wrote:
03 Aug 2019 15:30
Gravitar8 wrote:
03 Aug 2019 12:27
Grvr8, can you repost the link, this one ^ takes me to the index page.

TIA

Fred