VinylStudio vs. Pure Vinyl for digitizing records ?

the mix tape forum
Sterling1
United States of America

Re: VinylStudio vs. Pure Vinyl for digitizing records ?

Post by Sterling1 » 16 Oct 2018 16:13

JoeE SP9 wrote:
16 Oct 2018 15:38
Sterling1 wrote:
15 Oct 2018 22:28
JoeE SP9 wrote:
15 Oct 2018 21:24
IME if you're expecting any software to find the metadata for a ripped LP you're deluding yourself.
Today's software easily finds the metadata for a ripped LP. I do it with iTunes. Here's how: I record LP to computer using Roxio software and I use that software then to separate tracks and clean up the recording. Instead of exporting to iTunes, which would not have any track titles, I export to CD, which I label to match LP's artist and title nomenclature. That's it. Next, I rip the CD to iTunes, whereby iTunes will automatically find and insert track titles. So far, it's found everything I've thrown at it and it's been a huge time saver.
That's an awful of work.
What work? Instead of exporting file to iTunes Library instead it's exportred to a CD which is then imported into iTunes; thus, automatically adding track metadata without the WORK of manually doing it, or using a service to do it.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 16 Oct 2018 21:51

Do you burn a CD or use a CD-RW. Maybe you burn an ISO image. Regardless, it's still a bunch of steps.

In any case, I've winnowed my LP collection down to ~1K from 3500+. Even so that's more LP's than I'll ever get around to ripping. The time required to make the original RIP is real time. Besides, IMO my LP's sound better than any rip I've made even with some borrowed high priced ADC's.

All of my CD's have been ripped and along with high res downloads reside on an HDD. I do like the convenience of this.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 17 Oct 2018 13:05

JoeE SP9 wrote:
16 Oct 2018 21:51
Do you burn a CD or use a CD-RW. Maybe you burn an ISO image. Regardless, it's still a bunch of steps.

In any case, I've winnowed my LP collection down to ~1K from 3500+. Even so that's more LP's than I'll ever get around to ripping. The time required to make the original RIP is real time. Besides, IMO my LP's sound better than any rip I've made even with some borrowed high priced ADC's.

All of my CD's have been ripped and along with high res downloads reside on an HDD. I do like the convenience of this.
It's not a bunch of extra steps. It's just saving time by eliminating need to search or enter track metadata and preventing do-overs to correct track metadata, simply exporting finished file from sound editor to CD-R or CD-RW; and then, importing CD content to iTunes Library, whereby iTunes will locate and insert metadata for all tracks. Now, my LP's converted to ALAC sound better than the orginal LP, since they're devoid of pops, and can be easily equalized to my taste with application of iTunes Equalizer. Finally you do not need a high priced today ADC to get a "best" result. As mentioned earlier, my $99 X-Fi HD gets the job done, yielding digital files indistinguishable from LP when volume has been accurately matched. It's all fun and iTunes expands the fun.

Brick
United States of America

Post by Brick » 18 Oct 2018 13:52

Vinylstudio took ripping vinyl from a monotonous chore to something more akin to listening with pauses to file. The use of Discogs data for track separation was a huge factor, but so is its handling of the album as a complete file with the songs as subfiles, and it's just plain easy to use. I bought it 7 years ago after testing everything I could find. I don't know about Pure Vinyl, I already have something that does everything I want it to.

SangieWolf
United States of America

Post by SangieWolf » 19 Oct 2018 08:22

Brick wrote:
18 Oct 2018 13:52
Vinylstudio took ripping vinyl from a monotonous chore to something more akin to listening with pauses to file. The use of Discogs data for track separation was a huge factor, but so is its handling of the album as a complete file with the songs as subfiles, and it's just plain easy to use. I bought it 7 years ago after testing everything I could find. I don't know about Pure Vinyl, I already have something that does everything I want it to.
How does it work for repairing clicks and pops? Do you use the RIAA feature?

GaryG45

Post by GaryG45 » 19 Oct 2018 15:10

From my experience with Vinyl Studio, it does a very good job repairing clicks and pops. The automatic click repair can be adjusted based on the condition of the LP, and I've also used the manual repair option to clean difficult areas. I have a few LPs where the pops are pretty bad, and I'd probably need a separate high-priced product to fix them. I haven't tried ClickRepair yet, but I've heard many great comments about it.

I didn't use the RIAA feature.

Brick
United States of America

Post by Brick » 20 Oct 2018 15:59

I like the click repair module, the percussion protection is adjustable, and you can easily run it multiple times to find the best setting for tough records. It does get tedious if you are compulsive about every click as it requires zooming in and out a lot to repair individual clicks. My primary reason for ripping vinyl is to get it mobile, just like I used to use cassette tapes, and there was NO click repair on those, lol.

If you do a lot of 78s, it has a pretty substantial library of equalization curves based on the known curves of different labels. I use a phono pre for my setup, so don't know much about the RIAA feature, but it does have an inverse RIAA setting I use to clear the pre from 78s before applying the desired eq curve.

JXO

Post by JXO » 25 Nov 2018 00:22

Any views on whether the sound quality from PureVinyl exceeds that of VinylStudio?

Does anyone have any experience ripping while using RIAA EQ in software (with either of the 2 software products)?

If so, how do you connect your turntable to your ADC/usb interface? I understand you need to bypass the RIAA of your phone preamp to do so or eliminate your phono stage/preamp altogether.

If you use https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfa ... arlett-2i2 Can you connect your turntable direct to the interface and use the input gain to amplify the signal from the turntable?

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 28 Nov 2018 12:42

JXO wrote:
25 Nov 2018 00:22
Any views on whether the sound quality from PureVinyl exceeds that of VinylStudio?

Does anyone have any experience ripping while using RIAA EQ in software (with either of the 2 software products)?

If so, how do you connect your turntable to your ADC/usb interface? I understand you need to bypass the RIAA of your phone preamp to do so or eliminate your phono stage/preamp altogether.

If you use https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfa ... arlett-2i2 Can you connect your turntable direct to the interface and use the input gain to amplify the signal from the turntable?
I'm a firm believer, after having learnt the hard way, that any adjustment in audio quality, when digitizing vinyl should be done in the analog domain...

IMO, things like doing RIAA EQ in software when it is readily available in any standard phono pre-amp is asking for unwarranted labor, which mostly ends up in futility...
I went down the path of choosing a phono pre-amp with multiple RIAA EQ settings (ifi-iPhono2) and never looked back.

If you would like to use the scarlett-2i2 as your ADC (the device has good reviews btw), you're much better off getting a good phono pre-amp that will do RIAA EQ, and all you need is to connect the phono pre-amp out to the line input on the scarlett-2i2, and off you go!

If you would like to have fun on a rainy day, get a phono pre-amp with no RIAA EQ, connect to the scarlett-2i2 as above and try doing the RIAA EQ in software... been there before... :D

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 28 Nov 2018 13:10

balky wrote:
28 Nov 2018 12:42
JXO wrote:
25 Nov 2018 00:22

I'm a firm believer, after having learnt the hard way, that any adjustment in audio quality, when digitizing vinyl should be done in the analog domain...

IMO, things like doing RIAA EQ in software when it is readily available in any standard phono pre-amp is asking for unwarranted labor, which mostly ends up in futility...
I went down the path of choosing a phono pre-amp with multiple RIAA EQ settings (ifi-iPhono2) and never looked back.

If you would like to use the scarlett-2i2 as your ADC (the device has good reviews btw), you're much better off getting a good phono pre-amp that will do RIAA EQ, and all you need is to connect the phono pre-amp out to the line input on the scarlett-2i2, and off you go!

If you would like to have fun on a rainy day, get a phono pre-amp with no RIAA EQ, connect to the scarlett-2i2 as above and try doing the RIAA EQ in software... been there before... :D
I do not equalize while in the analog domain because I have no means to do that. I also have no interest in equalizing while digitizing vinyl. What I do instead, is equalize to taste utilizing my Digital Library's equalizer. This seems to support, at any given time, venue, and equipment deployment a best outcome.

packgrog

Post by packgrog » 11 Dec 2018 17:05

I tried Pure Vinyl with the software RIAA gain. The results were decent and clean, but I found the overall experience with the software as a whole to be frustrating. I ultimately just prefer to record and track split manually in Audition, recording from my Nova Phonomena. If anyone wants some custom loaded RCA-to-XLR plugs with 100 Ohms resistance load, I can offer them to you for cheap. I'll likely never use them again.