the home of the turntable

How do I rip?

the mix tape forum

How do I rip?

Postby Jdog1958 » 07 Jul 2018 23:37

I wouldn't mind being able to rip some of my vinyl just for the fact that it would be nice to have Mp3's for on-the-go. My turntable has no USB outputs as those things weren't even a dream back in the late 70's. I had an old HP PC that was marketed as a "media center" and I could run a cable across the house, plug it into the sound card (yes, it had one of those) and record with included software. It has long since passed on, replaced by a gaming rig/desk top I built. My current receiver is connected to my network, I can see it it in the device manager, but I don't really know what to do with that.

Is my only choice to invest in another turntable that includes USB outlets?

My other thought is that I have another PC I built myself last year that I have never used. I was thinking that if I could Incorporate it into my media area, there has to be software that would allow my to do this. I believe the PC has more that enough processing power to do this.
What are your thoughts?
Jdog1958

United States of America

Re: How do I rip?

Postby jiiteepee » 08 Jul 2018 07:40

It would be good to describe better the hardware (and software) you have there.

- make & model of your receiver?
- can you connect your turntable directly to your receiver (is there a phono input with RIAA stage present) or do you use external phono pre-amp?
- etc.

If your receiver has phono input, I/O for a recorder (cassette deck etc.) and options for to record the phono input with it then, you could just connect your PC audio interface as like it was a cassette deck... .

Regarding that network option ... you could check out if it's possible to stream data out through it from receiver and do you see it as an input on your system audio playback/recording options and recording software.
jiiteepee
contributor

Postby lini » 09 Jul 2018 23:05

jd: There are several alternative approaches. Personally, while I've got quite a few soundcards as well as external sound-interfaces for FireWire and USB, I nowadays prefer to record with a little digital field recorder (Sony PCM-M10 in my case...) onto flash memory card (in my case microSD(HC)).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Postby docdan » 11 Jul 2018 23:23

don't need to buy a new turntable. there are multiple ways of digitizing vinyl. for less than $20 you can pick up a USB digitizing interface.

I recently bought an ART USB Phono Plus since I needed a good phono preamp and the USB function came for $10 more.
docdan

United States of America

Return to Vinyl Ripping