the home of the turntable

Ripping with Moving Coil Cartridge

the mix tape forum

Ripping with Moving Coil Cartridge

Postby pklshpu » 14 Jan 2018 03:22

I have a Behringer U-Phono UFO202, even though there are better models than that, it is doing a decent job to my ears when it comes to rip my collection and create flacs (on SoundForge).

Well, I have bought a moving coil Technics cartridge, the 310MC. I understand the Behringer U-Phono, which already does a lot for the price, won't work with moving coils.

One solution for this is buying a moving coil step-up transformer, right? In that case, the Behringer U-Phono should receive the step-up transformer signal with its switch still set to "phono" (not "line"), right?? I suppose that in this situation the Behringer U-Phono will still be the only part of the chain that can perform the RIAA correction...

Other solution would be a pre-amp able to handle moving coil cartridges, isn't it? It's out of my budget, but I know iFi's micro-iPhono2 can handle nearly every kind of moving coil cartridge. So, for example, wouldn't it work if the setup were "Turntable => Ifi micro-iPhono2 => Behringer with the "input" switch on "Line" position => PC ???
I'm trying to see if that logic is correct: if I have more than one piece between the turntable and the PC, only one of them should work as a phono preamp (only one RIAA correction), right? That's why on the "iFi" example I'm guessing that Behringer should be in the "line" position, not "phono", whereas in the "step-up" example I would guess "line" (not "phono")...

Thanks
pklshpu

Brazil

Re: Ripping with Moving Coil Cartridge

Postby analogaudio » 14 Jan 2018 22:04

Yes one place must complete RIAA filtering, only one.

Moving coil requires more amplification than MM, about 10x more. It is possible that this extra amplification can be found in the Behringer or in the computer by making an adjustment in software. There is another important difference for MC the preamp should have a low value input impedance, usually between 100ohms and 1000ohms. The normal input impedance for an MM cart is 47000ohms and this is probably the value for the Behringer. If you find that there is sufficient amplification from the software the sound quality may be satisfactory however the high value of input impedance may cause some loss of quality.

If you decide to use a step up transformer with the Behringer this combination will automatically create the low value input impedance required by the MC cart.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Re: Ripping with Moving Coil Cartridge

Postby pklshpu » 15 Jan 2018 22:34

Thanks, Ted!

Do the cartridge and the step-up transformer must have a "perfect" specs match?

I suppose not, as taking my 310MC Technics cartridge for example, it has output voltage 0.2 mV 1 kHz, D.C. resistance 30 Ω, impedance 30 Ω ("Pure resistance", don't have a clue what that means), whereas the Technics SU-300MC preamplifier (an equipment made to work with MCs, from the same brand) has Input Impedance: 47 Ω (not kΩ), and I'd be inclined to take for a fact that it should work with the 310MC cartridge...

If it must be a perfect match, then one should seek products like the Ifi Micro-iPhono2 as I believe it covers a huge spectrum of MC's. With emphasis on "I believe", of course, as MC is a complete new world to me...
pklshpu

Brazil

Return to Vinyl Ripping