KentT
long player
long player

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by KentT » 16 Mar 2018 02:53

Fatmangolf wrote:Michell turntables
SME tonearms
Hifi System Components, formerly Graham Slee Products
Agree about the SME tonearms, I am especially a fan of the 3009 and 3012 in various models.

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 17 Mar 2018 04:41

McIntosh amps and Thorens turntables.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 21 Apr 2018 00:20

I would have to go with Marantz as my favorite receivers. I have always been a Technics turntable fan and own two, but recently I acquired a Dual model 721 and I have to say that it holds it's own with Technics. Now it's just down to cartridges to make a difference. I like B&W and Monitor Audio speakers.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 04 Nov 2018 00:39

The most dependable for me has always been Panasonic and Aiwa for the mid-fi stuff. My son use to call my Yamaha CR-1020 receiver "Old Faithful ", but it eventually had issues. I have fought becoming a "Fan Boy" over any one manufacturer. I don't have any two components in my gear rack made by the same company, but I always admire people who have big racks by one manufacturer.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 04 Nov 2018 03:04

Umm Crosley :lol:
I particularly like the crunch noise they make when I drive over them in the Crosley Crusher :lol:
Chris

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Nov 2018 03:18

They do make a nice sound when smashed to smithereens. don't they, Chris??? :wink: :lol:

Someone should record the sound of them getting crushed with top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art recording equipment, just so people can hear "how Crosleys are SUPPOSED to sound" in high fidelity! :wink: =D>

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 04 Nov 2018 19:47

My favorite is Sony ES for: value, engineering, features, performance, cosmetics, warranty, & re-sale on amps, tape, & digital source components. The brand of speaker favored is JBL Synthesis; and, I like Technics for turntables.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 04 Nov 2018 21:15

Interesting replies. I agree with everyone that loves gear from the 70's and early 80's. I had an interesting thing happen the other day. I got a call from a customer wanting me to repair his "tuner". I asked what it was, and he just said it was a Sony. It turns out that it was actually a black box Sony receiver (don't know the year). He said he bought it in the early 2000's.

I told him that I could troubleshoot it and probably repair it, but that it wasn't a very high quality piece of gear, and that for the time that I would have into it to do the repair, it would probably be more than the receiver was worth. I had just restored a beautiful Pioneer SX-3700 and had it set up in the shop. He said he would like to hear it. I fired it up and to be honest, it looked and sound like someone had just taken it out of the box. He couldn't believe the sound and asked me how much. We made a deal and he walked away a happy man. He was going to leave the Sony with me to have, and I told him politely that I really didn't want it.

I had reprinted the manual from our site here and gave it to him. He called me about a week later and told me how happy he was with the Pioneer. What baffles me though, is that he said he was also considering getting a turntable. I explained that I had several. He was looking for something "not so expensive". I explained that I was almost finished with restoring a Dual 1264. When I got it done, I called him and told him what I was asking for it, which in my opinion, not out of line. I had disassembled the linages and cleaned off all of old lubricants. I then reassembled every thing and re-lubricated it using top of the line modern replacement turntable lubricants. I installed a new belt and adjusted everything to factory specs. It comes with an Empire 2300 E cartridge and a brand new stylus from LP Gear ($55). I spent 3 hours buffing out the original dust cover.

The TT looks and sounds absolutely great! I called him up and told him about it. Then he tells me he's not interested. So, my conclusion is that many people don't really realize what good 70's gear is good and what isn't. I didn't think $ 285 for this fully restored turntable was unreasonable, what do you guys think?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Nov 2018 06:20

Well, not quite a bad deal, but how much was the Pioneer? It would seem odd to have a receiver cost less than the turntable...OTOH, if you get into some like the Sansuis and Marantzes, you could be talking some big money right there...With the cartridge and the stylus, you could ask more or sell it without the cart...Then again, I've never paid more than $100 for ANY of my turntables (with a few small exceptions, due to shipping) and I've bought 33 of them now! With good 70's gear, there is something out there in everyone's price range...If you sold him a $100 PL-12D for instance, I'm sure he'd be fine with that...Seems a shame to have such a nice receiver without a decent turntable to go along with it...Even the cheapest Technics would be a cut above most new stuff out there! You could sell the Dual, but I think you might be selling it to the wrong person...Someone who is more an enthusiast (and is used to those prices) might not have a problem with that, but a newbie just getting into vinyl might be a different story...That said, even a person on a tight budget deserves something decent to play their records on...Maybe you have something more suited to his liking? :-k

Oh and by the way, if you're checking EBay for prices, make sure to look at ACTUAL COMPLETED LISTINGS, not just what some schmucks are asking...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-CS-1264-V ... Sw-ctbkFVy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-CS-1264-V ... Sw-ctbkFVy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-CS-1264-B ... Sw-ctbkFVy

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Nov 2018 10:11

mgl99 wrote:
04 Nov 2018 21:15
Interesting replies. I agree with everyone that loves gear from the 70's and early 80's. I had an interesting thing happen the other day. I got a call from a customer wanting me to repair his "tuner". I asked what it was, and he just said it was a Sony. It turns out that it was actually a black box Sony receiver (don't know the year). He said he bought it in the early 2000's.

I told him that I could troubleshoot it and probably repair it, but that it wasn't a very high quality piece of gear, and that for the time that I would have into it to do the repair, it would probably be more than the receiver was worth. I had just restored a beautiful Pioneer SX-3700 and had it set up in the shop. He said he would like to hear it. I fired it up and to be honest, it looked and sound like someone had just taken it out of the box. He couldn't believe the sound and asked me how much. We made a deal and he walked away a happy man. He was going to leave the Sony with me to have, and I told him politely that I really didn't want it.

I had reprinted the manual from our site here and gave it to him. He called me about a week later and told me how happy he was with the Pioneer. What baffles me though, is that he said he was also considering getting a turntable. I explained that I had several. He was looking for something "not so expensive". I explained that I was almost finished with restoring a Dual 1264. When I got it done, I called him and told him what I was asking for it, which in my opinion, not out of line. I had disassembled the linages and cleaned off all of old lubricants. I then reassembled every thing and re-lubricated it using top of the line modern replacement turntable lubricants. I installed a new belt and adjusted everything to factory specs. It comes with an Empire 2300 E cartridge and a brand new stylus from LP Gear ($55). I spent 3 hours buffing out the original dust cover.

The TT looks and sounds absolutely great! I called him up and told him about it. Then he tells me he's not interested. So, my conclusion is that many people don't really realize what good 70's gear is good and what isn't. I didn't think $ 285 for this fully restored turntable was unreasonable, what do you guys think?
Agreed, some people have no clue about good vintage equipment, and restored pricing cost.
I'm lucky to have sold a few pieces to people who wanted vintage, and were willing to put out the money I asked for them.
A mint/restored Tandberg 3000X reel-to-reel, with the optional dust cover. - $320.
A mint/restored Dual 1241 with new AT cartridge - $200.
A mint/restored Magnavox S600 Collaro changer fitted with Pickering cart on custom oak base - $200.
A mint/restored Miracord/Realistic 46 with Pickering cart - $200.

Everybody's happy, and they know they'll get long lasting perfect service from each one.
My CL ad's got a couple more pieces waiting for a new home too.
Of course they too are serviced for reliable use.

In my opinion, they're a better investment than a lot of the "new stuff" out there.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 06 Nov 2018 02:45

Can't narrow it down to one brand, so here's several. Turntables, Technics. Cartridges, Shure. Electronics, Dynaco, Hafler. Speakers, AR, Allison, Advent. So sad they're gone, though I admit there's some decent stuff now, but not among my favorites. :(

lbls1

Post by lbls1 » 06 Nov 2018 03:07

Receivers: Sansui, Onkyo, Kenwood
Tape Deck: Teac, Technics
Turntable: Garrard, Dual, BIC, Technics, BSR
CD Player: Sony
Speakers: JBL, Cerwin Vega

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Nov 2018 04:01

lenjack wrote:
06 Nov 2018 02:45
Can't narrow it down to one brand, so here's several. Turntables, Technics. Cartridges, Shure. Electronics, Dynaco, Hafler. Speakers, AR, Allison, Advent. So sad they're gone, though I admit there's some decent stuff now, but not among my favorites. :(
You may have to remedy that, lenjack, and find some "new" favorites...If you're in Pennsylvania, you might have to check out this guy...

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 55610.html

It looks like he has a lot of great stuff for fair prices...

If you like Technics tables, you should check out these...

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 96991.html
https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 47804.html
https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 26519.html

A few good deals there...

This guy may have some stuff, too, on the cheap...

https://frederick.craigslist.org/ele/d/ ... 68554.html

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 06 Nov 2018 05:07

Bryston for amps and pre-amps -have only owned older stuff (I'm on my fourth 4B ST) - but they are well built (to put it mildly) and maintained by folks who care about what they are working on.They at least get close to my ideal of a basic black box (BBB) -I want to pay for gutz not bling. I've gradually been won over to the Technics brand (especially 1200 series) for TT's, well built -not abuse/idiot proof - but repairable after they get to a repair station . I unexpectedly sold my last (really ,REALY ugly). set of Dynaco A-25's -but there's a set of A-26's upstairs that do everything nice about A-25's just a bit better. Denon MC carts and their servo armed tables - just not been disappointed yet.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 06 Nov 2018 05:37

Spectral electronics
Stereo Integrity subwoofers