What is your favorite Hifi brand?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
mythrenegade

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Post by mythrenegade » 21 Nov 2017 21:39

Tinkaroo wrote:
mythrenegade wrote:Denon. Been a huge fan for years. I have a receiver in my bedroom I bought 25+ years ago, an AVR-3805 powering my surround sound living room, and another modern Denon driving the Bose 301’s that inhabit my garage.

Might have just accidentally bought a 2560 CD Player on eBay. I’ll let you know how that is after I sneak it into the house ;-)
I would be interested in hearing your impressions on the DCD-2560 CD player that you accidentally bought after you get it.

I've had one since new paired with my Denon PMA-1080R amp. Neither has let me down yet.
Listened to Three Quartets by Chick Corea, and now Aja by Steely Dan.

This player has ... presence. It presents an amazing soundstage with clarity and definition that torches my media server. In short, the DAC in this thing does an amazing job.

Build quality is stellar and the transport feels very solid. It feels like in a pinch you could use the open CD tray as a stepladder, although that’s probably not recommended...

I love how it looks on top of my Denon DRA-425R I bought new in 1990. A substantial upgrade to my listening room.

I paid $130 or so on eBay. Didn’t expect to win it, but I’ve been watching these for a while as it seemed like the highest end CD player I could hope to afford. I am not disappointed.

Joel

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Nov 2017 10:59

mythrenegade wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:
mythrenegade wrote:Denon. Been a huge fan for years. I have a receiver in my bedroom I bought 25+ years ago, an AVR-3805 powering my surround sound living room, and another modern Denon driving the Bose 301’s that inhabit my garage.

Might have just accidentally bought a 2560 CD Player on eBay. I’ll let you know how that is after I sneak it into the house ;-)
I would be interested in hearing your impressions on the DCD-2560 CD player that you accidentally bought after you get it.

I've had one since new paired with my Denon PMA-1080R amp. Neither has let me down yet.
Listened to Three Quartets by Chick Corea, and now Aja by Steely Dan.

This player has ... presence. It presents an amazing soundstage with clarity and definition that torches my media server. In short, the DAC in this thing does an amazing job.

Build quality is stellar and the transport feels very solid. It feels like in a pinch you could use the open CD tray as a stepladder, although that’s probably not recommended...

I love how it looks on top of my Denon DRA-425R I bought new in 1990. A substantial upgrade to my listening room.

I paid $130 or so on eBay. Didn’t expect to win it, but I’ve been watching these for a while as it seemed like the highest end CD player I could hope to afford. I am not disappointed.

Joel
Thanks for sharing your impressions Joel!

I bought mine brand new in the early 1990s and at the time it was the best they had available from Denon. It is still a sought after and respected classic CD player.

I am glad to hear you are as happy with it as I am with mine. It sounds like you got a good deal on yours too! =D>

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 03 Dec 2017 20:04

PrimaLuna for Tubes. Vintage Luxman Separates(M-02,C-02) for SS. Was a big Rega fan until I got the AR etl-1. Rega for CD playback, Sennheiser Cans, Tascam for R to R.
Mike M

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 04 Dec 2017 22:13

Audiolab and its Tag McLaren Audio alter-ego are my favoured brand; all my amplification for the past thirty-plus years; , and also CD transport, DAC and AV duties.

For turntables, Pink Triangle and its successor the Funk Firm. Like Audiolab, I love the sound, and they have never gone wrong for me.

-- Tim

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 06 Dec 2017 21:48

Rega
Cyrus
KEF
Wharfedale
Yamaha
Rotel

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 28 Dec 2017 02:11

For amplifiers, preamplifiers, and FM tuners, I prefer

Older McIntosh models, up to the MR 74, C 28, and the MC 2205
Dynaco

Turntables, I prefer

AR
Technics
CEC/Chuo Denki
Thorens

Broadcast idlers,
QRK
Russco
Gates
RCA Broadcast
EMT

Speakers

Dynaco A 25
Advent(pre Jensen)
AR (Up to the end of Teledyne)
JBL up to the Harman buyout
Klipsch Heritage
Altec Lansing

Tedrick
long player
long player

Post by Tedrick » 02 Jan 2018 03:55

Turntables: VPI
Cartridges: Lyra, Dynavector
Electronics: anything designed by Nelson Pass or Steve McCormack
Speakers: Infinity, Genesis Advanced Technologies, KEF

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 06 Jan 2018 04:56

Tedrick wrote:Turntables: VPI
Cartridges: Lyra, Dynavector
Electronics: anything designed by Nelson Pass or Steve McCormack
Speakers: Infinity, Genesis Advanced Technologies, KEF
Dynavector makes some good electronics as well. I like their P-75 phono pre-amp.
+1 on Steve McCormack: I love my McCormack DNA-125 power amp.
+1 on Infinity speakers: I have a few different Infinity speakers - RSIIIa are my daily drivers.

I will add Polk Audio to the speaker list. Their vintage Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) series of speakers is especially nice. Polk monitor speakers have also been good IME...vintage and modern.

PS Audio, Eastern Electric Audio, Peachtree Audio...good experiences with their gear as well for me.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 08 Jan 2018 11:23

30520382551_7862b5b384_z.jpg
(258.96 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
I've been a Sony fan for almost 40 years. It began with a purchase of a Sony PS-4750 Turntable. I was impressed with its design; and, being satisfied with it, I purchased more audio/video products from Sony as need for such equipment materialized. Over all I'm still a fan but today Sony it appears has had to abandon the markets for hi-fi, being challenged by Samsung to redirect itself to major electronics markets.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 18 Jan 2018 04:18

For amplifiers, preamplifiers, and tuners, McIntosh Laboratory. A company who makes gear to last decades, and handed down among generations. Heirloom quality. Amazing support for 50 year old products. I like the MA 5100 and MA 6200 integrated amplifiers, the tube amplifiers, the MC 250, MC 2505, MC 2100 and MC 2105 power amplifiers, and the MR 73, and MR 74, and MR 78 FM tuners, and the C 24, C 26, and C 28 preamplifiers and the MX 112, MX 113, and MX 114 tuner preamplifiers especially. I also love the MAC 1700 and MAC 4100 receivers a lot. I use MA 5100, MC 2505-2, and MX 114 every day. And reliable and fine sounding. They have cost me less to own long term than anything else I ever owned, I swear by them, instead of at them. And I've never owned one which didn't have at least 1 previous owner, and some of mine were third hand.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 19 Jan 2018 12:18

KentT wrote:For amplifiers, preamplifiers, and tuners, McIntosh Laboratory. A company who makes gear to last decades, and handed down among generations. Heirloom quality. Amazing support for 50 year old products. I like the MA 5100 and MA 6200 integrated amplifiers, the tube amplifiers, the MC 250, MC 2505, MC 2100 and MC 2105 power amplifiers, and the MR 73, and MR 74, and MR 78 FM tuners, and the C 24, C 26, and C 28 preamplifiers and the MX 112, MX 113, and MX 114 tuner preamplifiers especially. I also love the MAC 1700 and MAC 4100 receivers a lot. I use MA 5100, MC 2505-2, and MX 114 every day. And reliable and fine sounding. They have cost me less to own long term than anything else I ever owned, I swear by them, instead of at them. And I've never owned one which didn't have at least 1 previous owner, and some of mine were third hand.
Kent, you are a very, very smart guy. I wish I had been as smart. Your post has given me the "I could have had a V8" moment. I have been entertaining a new stereo preamp and will now look into McIntosh for sure.

henkNL

Post by henkNL » 31 Jan 2018 16:57

My amp is a Van Medevoort (MA 111), I have it since 1997 and I still love it! :D
It went back to the maker (in the Netherlands) for an upgrade in 2014 and it is even better than new now.
So this is one of my favorite brands.
I've had Marantz CD/SACD players for 20 years now and they still sound amazing.
Most important, my turntable is a Rega Planar 3, also since 1997. It has been upgraded with a the 24V motor and an Elys2 cart and still sounds amazing too.
And one day I hope to have the money for the Harbeth P3ESR monitor speakers [-o< :) :D :lol: :mrgreen: =D>
These are my favorite brands for now and years to come...

Fatmangolf

Post by Fatmangolf » 02 Feb 2018 20:27

Michell turntables
SME tonearms
Hifi System Components, formerly Graham Slee Products

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 04 Mar 2018 15:11

Been partial to pre-Alpine Luxman for amp. Still use my L-5 every day.
My college purchased Philips 212 was my everyday TT until my recent acquisition of my Luxman PX-100.
Cassette deck, BIC T3m original deck still going strong. Now have a Luxman K-8 that I mostly use as well.
Speakers, Dynaco a25's and recent purchase a250's.

so, you could say I'm a Luxman nut :lol:

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 04 Mar 2018 15:24

KentT wrote:For amplifiers, preamplifiers, and tuners, McIntosh Laboratory. A company who makes gear to last decades, and handed down among generations. Heirloom quality. Amazing support for 50 year old products. I like the MA 5100 and MA 6200 integrated amplifiers, the tube amplifiers, the MC 250, MC 2505, MC 2100 and MC 2105 power amplifiers, and the MR 73, and MR 74, and MR 78 FM tuners, and the C 24, C 26, and C 28 preamplifiers and the MX 112, MX 113, and MX 114 tuner preamplifiers especially. I also love the MAC 1700 and MAC 4100 receivers a lot. I use MA 5100, MC 2505-2, and MX 114 every day. And reliable and fine sounding. They have cost me less to own long term than anything else I ever owned, I swear by them, instead of at them. And I've never owned one which didn't have at least 1 previous owner, and some of mine were third hand.
+ 1 on the above. I have an MA 6200 integrated amp and it is by far the best investment I have ever made in gear. If I ever feel the need for more wattage, I will certainly invest in a McIntosh power amp and use the MA 6200 as a pre amp 8)