the home of the turntable

What is your favorite Hifi brand?

radio, tape, stands and accessories

What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Postby recaptcha » 18 Oct 2017 01:59

All of us have those brands that we always automatically go to when we need gear... I need a new TT... automatically go to Pioneer, or go to Technics! :lol:

That's just an example, but its true that when we have a good experience with a brand, it makes us want to trust in the brand for our Hifi needs.

So what brand have you had the most success with? Basically, as long as the gear is not low-end, it is a high quality build and is designed to work well.

This should come from personal experience, not just,

"O, their stuff is cool." :lol:

or

"Everyone loves them!" <-- nope! :roll:
I'm not a robot. At least, I don't think I am...
recaptcha

United States of America

Re: What is your favorite Hifi brand?

Postby SpeakerMania » 18 Oct 2017 02:15

JVC! After a lot of attempts to follow other paths, I came to the realization that "interesting"design aside, it is very hard for me to dismiss the "music per dollar" equation of JVC products, especially those products up to the mid-80s, early 90s. They definitely have bang for the buck going for them. Without much attempt to pursue, I now have 3 JVC integrated amps/receivers, and one JVC linear tracking turntable. I always thought I was a Technics fan....which I certainly remain, but I always take a second look at JVC components...and they often come home with me! Great topic by the way....the basic difference between following the crowd, or following your heart I believe. Cheers! =D>
If you aren't part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem.
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby Spinner45 » 18 Oct 2017 03:49

Technics, of course 8)
Well manufactured usually, and sound worth the money.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby recaptcha » 18 Oct 2017 12:13

SpeakerMania wrote:JVC! After a lot of attempts to follow other paths, I came to the realization that "interesting"design aside, it is very hard for me to dismiss the "music per dollar" equation of JVC products, especially those products up to the mid-80s, early 90s. They definitely have bang for the buck going for them. Without much attempt to pursue, I now have 3 JVC integrated amps/receivers, and one JVC linear tracking turntable. I always thought I was a Technics fan....which I certainly remain, but I always take a second look at JVC components...and they often come home with me! Great topic by the way....the basic difference between following the crowd, or following your heart I believe. Cheers! =D>

JVC is often an overlooked brand and underrated. Many see some of the bad reviews as enough to stay away, but I agree JVC is an excellent brand and well-built. I have never had a bad product from them, and I have had many. :-)
recaptcha

United States of America

Postby recaptcha » 18 Oct 2017 12:18

Spinner45 wrote:Technics, of course 8)
Well manufactured usually, and sound worth the money.

Technics? How can you forget the goto brand for TTs? They have had many famous models indeed. I have never tried their tape decks... :-k

Technics is another great brand of choice! :mrgreen:
recaptcha

United States of America

Postby davidsss » 18 Oct 2017 12:21

Only owned 2 turntables in the last 25 or so years, both Micro Seiki, so I'd have to say Micro Seiki. Both turntables are still going strong, the MR611 is in my daughter's room and I run a BL51. I've often thought of replacing the BL51, but I would look for another Micro Seiki. Sadly they are no longer with us, maybe because their turntables last so long.

DS
Micro Seiki BL51 TT, Stax UA7 Tonearm, RCM Sensor Prelude Phono Stage, Dynavector XX-2 MkII Cart, Rotel RCD865BX Cd Player, Melody I34R amp and Osborn Epitome Speakers.
davidsss
long player
long player
contributor

Australia

Postby Fire99 » 18 Oct 2017 13:20

I have a soft spot for Rega, from the equipment all the way down to their interconnects and Reference power leads.
Attachments
46B07B03-E2B6-4A1B-B818-481973FD543B.jpeg
Rega rp10/Apheta 2, Rega Aria, Rega Dac-r, Rega Elicit-r, Rega Ear, Rega Couple 2 Interconnects, Rega Reference Mains, Rega Atlas
Audeze Lcd 3/Fazor Headphones, Totem Forest Signature Speakers, Totem Tress Speaker Cable
Loricraft PRC 4 RCM Washer
Fire99

Canada

Postby droidlike » 18 Oct 2017 13:29

me only one tt an audio technica dd dj lp1240
that works fantastic with an at440mlb cart

it's built like a tank

fwiw
droidlike

Postby Arumatik49 » 18 Oct 2017 19:25

Always have had good luck with Onkyo equipment. Enjoy the RI link that enables the gear to "talk" with the receiver for control features.
Arumatik49

United States of America

Postby tcolegrove » 18 Oct 2017 20:40

Three words: Ya Ma Ha! Well, until it comes to speakers and turntables - then it's "Depends".
Yamaha CR-1050 driving Yamaha P-2200 into Snell Sub-500 and Carver Amazing Loudspeakers (A-side) and Dynaco A-25 (B-side). Technics SL-1210 mkII and Empire 598 for inputs along with Dragonfly USB DAC for streaming.
tcolegrove

United States of America

Postby JoeE SP9 » 18 Oct 2017 20:48

For electronics it's Audio Research Corporation. For TT's it's VPI and for speakers it's either Magnepan or any "full range" ESL
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 18 Oct 2017 23:05

I dont really have just one. Technics would be my fav turntable and speaker wise ATC are the best I have ever heard. Amp it is hard love my CJ power amp but there are so many amps out there it is hard to name one.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby vinyl master » 19 Oct 2017 13:14

I love how it's across the board here...I'm surprised that no one has mentioned...SANSUI! :D

My main vintage system has Sansui components...Of course, I have a new Technics system, so I may have to play these for a while to compare them...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Slavikcc » 19 Oct 2017 13:51

SpeakerMania wrote:JVC! After a lot of attempts to follow other paths, I came to the realization that "interesting"design aside, it is very hard for me to dismiss the "music per dollar" equation of JVC products, especially those products up to the mid-80s, early 90s. They definitely have bang for the buck going for them. Without much attempt to pursue, I now have 3 JVC integrated amps/receivers, and one JVC linear tracking turntable. I always thought I was a Technics fan....which I certainly remain, but I always take a second look at JVC components...and they often come home with me! Great topic by the way....the basic difference between following the crowd, or following your heart I believe. Cheers! =D>

Most of JVC's mid to top-of-the-line equipment back then are really nice. I love my JVC QL-Y5F turntable! If you look through "The Vintage Knob" website, you'll see the impressive line-up of their audio equipment from the early 80's. It's a pretty underrated company compared to other popular Japanese brands.

I'll also say that Nakamichi is a great band as I'm very happy with my CDP-2A CD player and TA-2A receiver. Nowadays, that brand is associated with very cheap crap. :(
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby recaptcha » 20 Oct 2017 21:53

vinyl master wrote:I love how it's across the board here...I'm surprised that no one has mentioned...SANSUI! :D

My main vintage system has Sansui components...Of course, I have a new Technics system, so I may have to play these for a while to compare them...

I love the diversity as well. I didn't expect Micro Seiki or ATC or Audio Research company. These are all more unique brands that many of us have never used. Maybe we should.

Of course SANSUI! :lol: My dad gave me a Sansui D-550m deck when I was about 10. I taught it was the coolest! Not thrilled with the D-77R though. Cheap.

I have to say that with Sansui, you can get bad gear or good gear, but any company has that. It seems to be a tiny bit more with Sansui though... :-k

JVC does seem to be the great mystery. Many HATE and I mean LOATHE them and many LOVE them. They are underrated indeed.
recaptcha

United States of America

Next

Return to Other Stuff