So what cassette decks have you had?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
recaptcha

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by recaptcha » 15 Oct 2017 20:03

jusbe wrote:Brother-in-law and wife just collected this from their uncle for me, this past week. A gift, and am grateful as it seems to be in great condition. Need to get it fully serviced now and being my second 440A, hopefully I can keep them going for some time.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4480/3770 ... 4c55_c.jpg
Very nice! I love the unique design of the stand-up deck. I initially thought it was deeper than that, but then realized it was a tabletop propped up! :lol:

Enjoy it!

Slavikcc
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 583
Joined: 27 Jul 2016 02:26

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by Slavikcc » 19 Oct 2017 13:43

I currently use the Technics RS-B605 tape deck, which I'm hoping to upgrade it to a Nakamichi 3-head or one of those TOTL with Dolby S NR someday.

jusbe
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Jul 2002 00:00
Location: Yorkshire.

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by jusbe » 20 Oct 2017 14:41

recaptcha wrote:
jusbe wrote:Brother-in-law and wife just collected this from their uncle for me, this past week. A gift, and am grateful as it seems to be in great condition. Need to get it fully serviced now and being my second 440A, hopefully I can keep them going for some time.
Very nice! I love the unique design of the stand-up deck. I initially thought it was deeper than that, but then realized it was a tabletop propped up! :lol:

Enjoy it!
It's going to be fun getting it up to speed again and back on song. :D

recaptcha

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by recaptcha » 20 Oct 2017 18:43

Slavikcc wrote:I currently use the Technics RS-B605 tape deck, which I'm hoping to upgrade it to a Nakamichi 3-head or one of those TOTL with Dolby S NR someday.
The RS-B605 is an excellent deck with superb specs! For years, I used a two head deck and saw no need to get a three head one. You have HX Pro and dbx, so I would be quite happy with it. 0.06% wow/flutter is very good, they do not specify the THD though.

If you really wanted to upgrade, AKAI makes some excellent 3 headers. Also, As I have mentioned, Luxman has a good reputation.

The only reason I got a three head deck recently is I happened to get a good deal on one.

recaptcha

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by recaptcha » 21 Oct 2017 22:26

recaptcha wrote:http://www.retrotronics.co.nz/images/mo ... K-112L.jpg

Just bought one of these gems! :lol:

The specs on this deck are just amazing! It resembles a Nakamichi, in fact, this deck at $700 was supposed to rival Nakamichi, and has bias adjustment plus record bias, so you can have maximum adsjustment of playback and recording your metal tapes. Dolby HX PRO HeadRoom extention is also employed.
Just received my K-112 today. I just recorded to a metal tape and WOW! I am shocked by the playback quality. You can pump out so much more sound than average. Plus, Using the Bias tune, I got the deck's characteristics to match the CD perfectly! :lol:

I see a lot of Recording in my future!

Slavikcc
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 583
Joined: 27 Jul 2016 02:26

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by Slavikcc » 23 Oct 2017 17:14

recaptcha wrote:
Slavikcc wrote:I currently use the Technics RS-B605 tape deck, which I'm hoping to upgrade it to a Nakamichi 3-head or one of those TOTL with Dolby S NR someday.
The RS-B605 is an excellent deck with superb specs! For years, I used a two head deck and saw no need to get a three head one. You have HX Pro and dbx, so I would be quite happy with it. 0.06% wow/flutter is very good, they do not specify the THD though.

If you really wanted to upgrade, AKAI makes some excellent 3 headers. Also, As I have mentioned, Luxman has a good reputation.

The only reason I got a three head deck recently is I happened to get a good deal on one.
I saw a sales ad of the Pioneer Elite CT-43 tape deck that interests me, but there's not too many reviews of it. Can anyone interject on that tape deck and how good sounding it is?

recaptcha

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by recaptcha » 23 Oct 2017 18:45

It has a wow/flutter of 0.023%, THD 0.6%, and a good S/N at 82db. 3 motors, 3 heads. 15hz to 20khz, with dolby B, C, S, and HX PRO.

These are all great specs, that should add up to a great sound. I've seen the inside, Not too good.

Not too good from what i've read.


So it has great specs, but the opinion of some on a competitor forum says it's cheaply built. Sadly, I've seen this with other Pioneer elite equipment.

I would try to get it as cheap as I can. If you can get it very cheap, I would try it.

katana1100
senior member
senior member
Posts: 739
Joined: 13 Dec 2011 23:23

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by katana1100 » 24 Oct 2017 05:11

recaptcha wrote:
recaptcha wrote:http://www.retrotronics.co.nz/images/mo ... K-112L.jpg

Just bought one of these gems! :lol:

The specs on this deck are just amazing! It resembles a Nakamichi, in fact, this deck at $700 was supposed to rival Nakamichi, and has bias adjustment plus record bias, so you can have maximum adsjustment of playback and recording your metal tapes. Dolby HX PRO HeadRoom extention is also employed.
Just received my K-112 today. I just recorded to a metal tape and WOW! I am shocked by the playback quality. You can pump out so much more sound than average. Plus, Using the Bias tune, I got the deck's characteristics to match the CD perfectly! :lol:

I see a lot of Recording in my future!
If you like that deck, you should check out what it replaced - the k single digit models.
All had analog meters no hx pro, but with response of 15-26k, not needed. I have the k-03,
bought new as close out in ‘89 for $500. Has manual bias and equalization that make even low grade tapes
sound good, built in tape head demagnetizer.it also came with wireless remote. I think there are two for sale on the bay now for around $1400.

recaptcha

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by recaptcha » 24 Oct 2017 12:23

I saw those. Sounds great, but $1400? That's Kinda high! :lol:

There actually $1800 on ebay. You got a great deal back in the day.

Slavikcc
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 583
Joined: 27 Jul 2016 02:26

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by Slavikcc » 24 Oct 2017 14:23

recaptcha wrote:It has a wow/flutter of 0.023%, THD 0.6%, and a good S/N at 82db. 3 motors, 3 heads. 15hz to 20khz, with dolby B, C, S, and HX PRO.

These are all great specs, that should add up to a great sound. I've seen the inside, Not too good.

Not too good from what i've read.


So it has great specs, but the opinion of some on a competitor forum says it's cheaply built. Sadly, I've seen this with other Pioneer elite equipment.

I would try to get it as cheap as I can. If you can get it very cheap, I would try it.
The said tape deck is selling for $350 CAD, which is a tad too high to me...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 23216
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 03:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by Alec124c41 » 24 Oct 2017 15:18

Never one to overdo things ;) , I'll just list the makers:
Realistic
Yamaha
Denon
Harman Kardan
Sansui
Technics
Teac
Nakamichi
Alpine
Tascam
Sony
Sherwood
That's all I remember.

Cheers,
Alec

katana1100
senior member
senior member
Posts: 739
Joined: 13 Dec 2011 23:23

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by katana1100 » 24 Oct 2017 19:15

recaptcha wrote:I saw those. Sounds great, but $1400? That's Kinda high! :lol:

There actually $1800 on ebay. You got a great deal back in the day.
Honestly, I don't know if it is really worth that much but hey, market is what market does.
I got it at Roger Sound Labs. I was broke, just bought my first nedw car, a VW Fox and saw it sitting there. Even though we all new that CD's were taking over and digital was all the rage, I just had to have it, so I put I put it on my cc. I said is this like Luxman's dragon? Salesman said yes. very quickly, I learned that expensive tapes sounded pretty much the same as cheap ones, so I stopped buying metal and those Maxell XL II tapes and would buy bottom of the line Sony high bias tapes.A friend of mine borrowed it and actually was able to record 20hz tones from a signal generator. This was surprising as cassette has a hard time recording that low.
I also have a couple of Harmon Kardon cd491's and those sound great too. I have two pretty rare JVC nr 50 boxes which have Dolby B, C AND super anrs. JVC never made a deck as good as the Luxman k-03 of CD491 with super anrs, they really sound great with it. The HXpro gives the CD491 the edge when it comes to bottom feeder tapes (like Maxwell UH ferric).

Brant W
member
member
Posts: 133
Joined: 21 Aug 2017 02:10

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by Brant W » 27 Oct 2017 22:14

Teac, Telefunken and a few more I forgot since I got the Nakamichi BX300 many moons ago.
It's now in the closet.

recaptcha

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by recaptcha » 27 Oct 2017 22:17

katana1100 wrote:
recaptcha wrote:I saw those. Sounds great, but $1400? That's Kinda high! :lol:

There actually $1800 on ebay. You got a great deal back in the day.
Honestly, I don't know if it is really worth that much but hey, market is what market does.
I got it at Roger Sound Labs. I was broke, just bought my first nedw car, a VW Fox and saw it sitting there. Even though we all new that CD's were taking over and digital was all the rage, I just had to have it, so I put I put it on my cc. I said is this like Luxman's dragon? Salesman said yes. very quickly, I learned that expensive tapes sounded pretty much the same as cheap ones, so I stopped buying metal and those Maxell XL II tapes and would buy bottom of the line Sony high bias tapes.A friend of mine borrowed it and actually was able to record 20hz tones from a signal generator. This was surprising as cassette has a hard time recording that low.
I also have a couple of Harmon Kardon cd491's and those sound great too. I have two pretty rare JVC nr 50 boxes which have Dolby B, C AND super anrs. JVC never made a deck as good as the Luxman k-03 of CD491 with super anrs, they really sound great with it. The HXpro gives the CD491 the edge when it comes to bottom feeder tapes (like Maxwell UH ferric).

I have experienced SuperANRS and I have to say it's better than C or B.

I am very impressed with Luxman's quality, I have just invested in a LV-113. :lol:

jusbe
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Jul 2002 00:00
Location: Yorkshire.

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by jusbe » 06 Nov 2017 16:29

Some more cassette deck p**n... fished this out at the weekend, to test some new IEMs:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4485/2436 ... ae33_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4496/2644 ... 2e1d_c.jpg