So what cassette decks have you had?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
recaptcha

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Post by recaptcha » 12 Oct 2017 02:37

$50.00 :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Oct 2017 02:43

Well, time to post that bad boy in here, don't you think??? :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=88346

At $50, it's a contender! :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Oct 2017 11:08

recaptcha wrote:http://www.retrotronics.co.nz/images/mo ... K-112L.jpg

Just bought one of these gems! :lol:

The specs on this deck are just amazing! It resembles a Nakamichi, in fact, this deck at $700 was supposed to rival Nakamichi, and has bias adjustment plus record bias, so you can have maximum adsjustment of playback and recording your metal tapes. Dolby HX PRO HeadRoom extention is also employed.
Great find on the K-112 Recaptcha! 8)

It even bears a slight resemblance to the Nakamichi BX-300. :wink:

Please give some feedback on playback, and how you like taping with it when you get a chance.

technics tony

Post by technics tony » 12 Oct 2017 12:30

is it a one or two motor deck ?.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Oct 2017 12:36

technics tony wrote:is it a one or two motor deck ?.
Two motor-1 reel-1 capstan.

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 12 Oct 2017 13:53

2 motor full logic control, with 3 heads.

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 12 Oct 2017 13:54

Tinkaroo wrote:
recaptcha wrote:http://www.retrotronics.co.nz/images/mo ... K-112L.jpg

Just bought one of these gems! :lol:

The specs on this deck are just amazing! It resembles a Nakamichi, in fact, this deck at $700 was supposed to rival Nakamichi, and has bias adjustment plus record bias, so you can have maximum adsjustment of playback and recording your metal tapes. Dolby HX PRO HeadRoom extention is also employed.
Great find on the K-112 Recaptcha! 8)

It even bears a slight resemblance to the Nakamichi BX-300. :wink:

Please give some feedback on playback, and how you like taping with it when you get a chance.
I will be hear with feedback soon! :D

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 12 Oct 2017 14:00

the BX-300 has an whopping 0.025% wow flutter as opposed tho this decks 0.05%, but the BX-300 has 0.9% THD, while this deck has 0.3% THD. Also, s/n ratio of the BX-300 is 70db with dolby c, while the k-112 has 73db.

in addition, 20-20 is given on a METAL tape with the BX-300, but the K-112 has 20-20 on chrome tapes and 20-21 on metal! :lol:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Oct 2017 15:14

recaptcha wrote:the BX-300 has an whopping 0.025% wow flutter as opposed tho this decks 0.05%, but the BX-300 has 0.9% THD, while this deck has 0.3% THD. Also, s/n ratio of the BX-300 is 70db with dolby c, while the k-112 has 73db.

in addition, 20-20 is given on a METAL tape with the BX-300, but the K-112 has 20-20 on chrome tapes and 20-21 on metal! :lol:
I wouldn't read too much into some of those specs since I know from personal experience that a BX-300 is a solidly built and super sounding deck and pretty popular on the used market.

Most specs are made to bamboozle those who happen to believe them and there is really no way to check them out here in the real world. #-o

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 12 Oct 2017 21:59

:lol: Why would I believe that the specs are false? They had nothing to do with marketing! You read the specs in the user's guide AFTER purchasing.

I understand that Nakamichi is world famous, not trying to minimize that, but many besides me say that this deck and Luxman was comparable to many of the Naks.

If you don't use the specs, than how do you know how good a deck is? Word of mouth? Weight? Hype? Specs are facts, and facts are facts.

BTW, all of the specs seem to be comparable, except for THD. I have experienced big differences in THD on many of my own decks, and after looking up the specs, they reflect my research.

technics tony

Post by technics tony » 12 Oct 2017 22:58

boy that's one sweet tape deck.

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 13 Oct 2017 00:05

Thanks! :D

It is not the "best", but definitely a pro deck.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Oct 2017 00:14

Yeah, I'm sure the Luxman holds it's place in the world of Naks...Nakamichi and Marantz stuff, let's be honest, does tend to be high-priced and sometimes, people will sell ANYTHING with the Nak or Marantz name on it, even if it's not one of their most desirable models, just because of the name factor...That doesn't mean there aren't some great pieces from Akai, Pioneer, Sansui, Harman Kardon, Kenwood, JVC, etc. out there, as well...A lot of that stuff doesn't get as hyped, either...Probably some diamonds in the rough, too...And the Luxman is a nice 3-head deck...I'd certainly give it a try and see what it can do! Nothing wrong with a good Nak, either, by the way...Or in my case, a nice Sony or Onkyo...Just sayin'... 8-[

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 13 Oct 2017 00:53

vinyl master wrote:Yeah, I'm sure the Luxman holds it's place in the world of Naks...Nakamichi and Marantz stuff, let's be honest, does tend to be high-priced and sometimes, people will sell ANYTHING with the Nak or Marantz name on it, even if it's not one of their most desirable models, just because of the name factor...That doesn't mean there aren't some great pieces from Akai, Pioneer, Sansui, Harman Kardon, Kenwood, JVC, etc. out there, as well...A lot of that stuff doesn't get as hyped, either...Probably some diamonds in the rough, too...And the Luxman is a nice 3-head deck...I'd certainly give it a try and see what it can do! Nothing wrong with a good Nak, either, by the way...Or in my case, a nice Sony or Onkyo...Just sayin'... 8-[
THANK YOU! :lol:

I absolutely agree that the Nakamichi name has a lot to do with the high prices.

The same can be said about Harley-Davidson, Apple, and Beats. :lol:

I think every brand has it's hype products, and because of this, many ordinary products under that name also receive hype over nothing. You need to look at the specs plus experience it for yourself.

Nak Dragon slays my K-112! So does some of the ZXL's, the specs say so.

Bottom line, just because a tape deck bears the Nakamichi name, or Luxman name, or Pioneer name do not assume it is the TOTL.

Speaking of beats, I will tell a story. I bought a pair of TOTL Beats. They sounded SOOOOO good. The best pair of headphones I ever owned... until I found out that they were counterfeit. :lol: Then, they were not so good sounding anymore.

jusbe
Great Britain

Post by jusbe » 15 Oct 2017 10:34

Brother-in-law and wife just collected this from their uncle for me, this past week. A gift, and am grateful as it seems to be in great condition. Need to get it fully serviced now and being my second 440A, hopefully I can keep them going for some time.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4480/3770 ... 4c55_c.jpg