So what cassette decks have you had?

radio, tape, stands and accessories

So what cassette decks have you had?

Postby abril » 23 Sep 2017 14:14

Given the enthusiasm there seems to be for cassette past and present :D
What are the decks you have had?
Here is my starter for 1

Pioneer CT-F7171
Disaster,back under warranty about 4 times in 12 months with transport controls mis-latching.

Aiwa AD-F250
Decent low price unit.

Yamaha KX-R430
Wanted autoreverse for recording off air,good quality deck.

Nakamichi DR3
My first Nak-have to say slightly disappointing sound wise,but worked reliably.

Sony DTC-750 DAT
Bought for recording long concerts off air in place of the Yamaha -great quality.

Sony TC-K611S
Very disappointing,noisy transport and poor playback of existing tapes.

Denon DR-M34HR
My favourite deck,slick and great sound quality.

Denon DRS-810
Always wanted one,good but not as good as the 34HR.

Nakamichi 600 (current but currently not working)
Stunning styling and great sound quality especially for a 2 head.

Yamaha KX-E100 (current)
Surprisingly good compact unit,not out of place as primary deck.
abril
long player
long player
contributor

Georgia

Re: So what cassette decks have you had?

Postby JoeE SP9 » 23 Sep 2017 23:14

I had several mediocre decks before purchasing a Sony TC-K81 three head deck w/wired remote in late 1981. The ones that came before the Sony don't matter. Although the Sony is long gone I've kept all that I bought later. They are a Nakamichi LX5 and a ZX-3 along with a Teac V-7010. Yes I still use them. The Teac is especially nice as it has a wireless remote.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 24 Sep 2017 08:50

I've had a lot over the years and currently probably too many but the ones I have set up at the current time are.:

-Nakamichi LX-5-A nice solidly built 3 head with unique styling. If I could improve anything I would add a way to reference the bias adjustments such as on the decks below. I like the reliable classic transport though as well as the way the recording/playback controls are laid out.

-Nakamichi ZX-7- A really nice deck with classic transport and ability to adjust levels and bias to reference tones as well as azimuth adjustment. Pretty much all you can ask for in a deck and a solid performer.

-Nakamichi Dragon- This one is similar to the ZX-7 except it has auto reverse and automatic azimuth correction. This is a really solid deck and I have no complaints about it other than some people tend to get a bit jealous of it's reputation. As far as features and performance goes it is excellent and I have no complaints.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby BMRR » 27 Sep 2017 21:53

I had several as a kid, although I can't remember intricate details about them such as model numbers. I had a YORX all-in-one unit with record player, radio, and dual cassettes; I had a Quasar radio/cassette boombox; I had a Craig radio/cassette/CD boombox. All entry-level stuff, naturally.

These days I have an Onkyo TA-201 which is my daily driver and a very nice deck, in my opinion. Recently I've begun to have some troubles with it; I hope that it just needs a new belt.

I also have a couple Technics dual cassette decks from the late '80s and early '90s which might or might not be worth fixing, as well as a rather nice Technics deck from the early '80s that was advertised as perfect but when I received it I found rust deposits on the playback/record head which I haven't been able to remove with numerous attempts. It also needs new belts and a new roller tire. The seller gave me a refund and told me to keep it, which is good, but I'm not sure fi it's worth repairing or if I have the skills to repair it.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby themisto462 » 29 Sep 2017 15:57

When I was a child I had several boomboxes and stereo systems with build in cassette decks but nothing with a good quality.

Today I have two cassette decks:

Hitachi D-230 and Akai GXC-760D

JD505233.JPG

Best regards.
themisto462
contributor

Germany

Postby Tinkaroo » 29 Sep 2017 18:30

themisto462 wrote:When I was a child I had several boomboxes and stereo systems with build in cassette decks but nothing with a good quality.

Today I have two cassette decks:

Hitachi D-230 and Akai GXC-760D

JD505233.JPG

Best regards.

Those are a couple of beautiful decks you have. 8)
I really like the Akai.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby themisto462 » 29 Sep 2017 18:57

@ Tinkaroo:

Yes indeed, the Akai is a real beauty! ...And well engineered.

The Hitachi is a very simple deck, but the sound quality is quite good.

To get the Hitachi deck running again, it was a lot of work. Round about forty years
of nicotine and no service at all... .

Best regards.
themisto462
contributor

Germany

Postby abril » 30 Sep 2017 13:04

Hoping to have time to start the stripdown of the Nak 600 this week :roll:
abril
long player
long player
contributor

Georgia

Postby Tinkaroo » 30 Sep 2017 13:48

abril wrote:Hoping to have time to start the stripdown of the Nak 600 this week :roll:

I would love to see a photo or two of it if you get the chance, and an interior shot would be cool too! 8)
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Tinkaroo » 30 Sep 2017 14:53

Nakamichi ZX-7 Front 5.jpg

I decided my Nakamichi ZX-7 was being under-utilized and so I swapped it out with my LX-5 into a system where I could more easily use it for recordings. I really like this deck.

I think it uses the same case as the LX-5 and the bias and level controls are similar to that used on the Dragon.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby BMRR » 30 Sep 2017 14:55

That is a serious and professional looking deck! =D>
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby technics tony » 03 Oct 2017 00:34

using right now, Technics 616. back up decks I bought on the cheap at a pawn shop, Onkyo-R1 & a Sony TC-WE305 also from the same pawn shop.
technics tony

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 03 Oct 2017 02:55

I think I'm with BMRR on this one...I've owned many various cassette decks and portable boomboxes over the years...I have a couple of old Panasonic dual cassette boomboxes hidden away in a state of disrepair at the moment...I still have my very first one, an old silver Emerson portable AM/FM cassette player. I have a dual cassette Sony TC-WE475. I also have a Sanyo RD-5030 that I got from a local flea market for $10 some time ago and an old Realistic single deck SCT-24. This year, I bought a really nice Sony TC-K620 single cassette three-head deck to be used in the main system...Something nice to go with my Technics SL-D202 turntable, SA-101 receiver and SL-PG350 CD player...The other day, I sprung for this Onkyo TA-R301 single deck...It was only $20 and the seller included the Realistic 20-band graphic equalizer for free...

I liked BMRR's 201 and thought it would make a great back-up...I, like him, also had a dual cassette Yorx all-in-one Newave back in the day and still have socked away a Panasonix SG-X7 turntable/radio/cassette player that I received from an uncle one year...Not sure what I'll do with it, but it is a little sentimental, as it was a family gift...I've also owned various Walkman-type portable players over the years and one or two microcassette recorders...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby recaptcha » 11 Oct 2017 23:49

Just bought one of these gems! :lol:

The specs on this deck are just amazing! It resembles a Nakamichi, in fact, this deck at $700 was supposed to rival Nakamichi, and has bias adjustment plus record bias, so you can have maximum adsjustment of playback and recording your metal tapes. Dolby HX PRO HeadRoom extention is also employed.
I'm not a robot. At least, I don't think I am...
recaptcha

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 12 Oct 2017 02:14

Lovely cassette deck there, recaptcha! 8) I hope you got a good deal on it, too! :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Other Stuff