What's your favorite Walkman?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
recaptcha

What's your favorite Walkman?

Post by recaptcha » 07 Sep 2017 03:06

Please tell us what is your favorite Walkman of all time is. Why is it your favorite? 8)

It doesn't have to be a tape Walkman, it can be a CD Walkman, Discman, Walkman MD, or yes, even a DAT Walkman.

It would be fantastic if you could post a picture of it... the only rule is, you had to have owned it at some time.

BTW, if it's not a Sony, that's OK too! :lol:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: What's your favorite Walkman?

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Sep 2017 10:08

This is the one I currently have but my favorite was a Sanyo with analog tuning dial and auto reverse.
Aiwa Portable.JPG
(126.48 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Sep 2017 11:28

I recently got a Panasonic portable player that has been serviced and is quite similar to my old Sanyo player with an analog tuning scale etc.. :mrgreen:

I will post about it once it arrives and I've had a chance to listen to it and play a few tapes through it. The build quality on it looks quite good.

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 07 Sep 2017 14:57

Nice! I have always wondered how Aiwa's players sounded. I used to have a Panasonic that looks just like your Aiwa there, but the motor was wore out, so it couldn't keep a good speed.

Here's my favorite player,

https://img1.etsystatic.com/003/0/72550 ... 1_cqnc.jpg

One of my favorite Walkmans of all time, I love the size, sound, color, and the fact that two headphones jacks can be accommodated in a Sports Walkman!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Sep 2017 17:12

That looks pretty nice!

I see it has a built in solar alarm clock too which is a unique feature.

What model is it?

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 07 Sep 2017 17:18

This is the WM-Af58 Cassette player. Made in 1988, it was originally $66 new. Not extremely expensive back in the day, but not cheap either.

The solar alarm clock is good, but it requires a 377 watch battery to run, so the solar is just like on a 2-way calculator.

They are not too expensive on ebay, and you get a lot for your money. It has a good AM/FM Radio, Stopwatch, and is (supposedly) Water proof.

Here's one on eBay for just $29.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Sports-Wal ... SwXGtZnfRV

For that price, I would snap it up. ;-)

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 07 Sep 2017 17:19

BTW, The thin tuning and volume knobs break easily, so you have to be careful not to drop the player on its knobs.

Also, some on ebay are already missing knobs so be aware.

michaelrandrews

Post by michaelrandrews » 07 Sep 2017 19:37

I had a Sony D-6 for recording Grateful Dead Shows. Don't really know where it went. Wish I had it now. It was Awsome.

LeonW

Post by LeonW » 07 Sep 2017 20:09

I remember as a teen in the 90s having a silver panasonic which was superslim, so much so it had some kind of chewing gum sized battery to keep the size down as an AA battery would have been too fat to fit and would have ruined the aesthetic. I think it had a screw on peripheral aa battery holder though for emergencies. :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 07 Sep 2017 20:17

recaptcha wrote:This is the WM-Af58 Cassette player. Made in 1988, it was originally $66 new. Not extremely expensive back in the day, but not cheap either.

The solar alarm clock is good, but it requires a 377 watch battery to run, so the solar is just like on a 2-way calculator.

They are not too expensive on ebay, and you get a lot for your money. It has a good AM/FM Radio, Stopwatch, and is (supposedly) Water proof.

Here's one on eBay for just $29.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Sports-Wal ... SwXGtZnfRV

For that price, I would snap it up. ;-)
That is very tempting but I will wait to see how my latest one pans out first. Here are some photos of it, a Panasonic model RQ-V158.

It has been fully serviced and has a brand new belt too. Heads cleaned and demagnetized, azimuth and speed adjusted, etc..
Panasonic Walkman 1.JPG
(176.32 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Panasonic Walkman 2.JPG
(153.67 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
Panasonic Walkman 4.JPG
(149.25 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
Panasonic Walkman 7.JPG
(292.6 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 07 Sep 2017 20:36

One which was gifted to me by my father in Christmas of 1981, in the middle of my senior year in high school here in Buenos Aires. I do not remember the brand, but it had an fm tuner that was shaped like a cassette. To listen to FM you had to load it in as if it were a tape and you could tune it from the outside.

I loaned it sometime in May of 1982 to a friend of mine whose mother passed away during the night due to a severe stroke. I never could get myself to ask him to return it. :cry:

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 07 Sep 2017 20:53

Tinkroo, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the Panasonic?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 09 Sep 2017 15:48

I've never had a real Sony Walkman or Discman, but I've had some other portables that I liked very much, and I still own two portables that I've had since I was a teenager.

One is a Kenwood DPC-171 that I purchased during my senior year of high school:
kenwood_dpc-171.jpg
(12.95 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
I still remember going to the local Circuit City store and buying it. They had six or seven portable CD players that were set up so you could listen to them and compare them. I brought my own CDs to listen to. Initially I tried one of the Sony models that was within my budget, but when I tried the Kenwood I thought it sounded better, so I bought it. It was a very basic model with very few features, but it still works beautifully to this very day — 20 years later!

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 09 Sep 2017 15:53

I also have this Panasonic RQ-V75 that I bought a year or two after I bought the Kenwood. It was extremely inexpensive, maybe $30 or less. It looks and feels cheap, but it sounds really good and it's still going strong at 18 or 19 years of age. Again, this is a very basic player — no features other than bass boost — but it works and is fun to use. I just need to find time to take it apart and DeOxIt the volume control which has become scratchy within the past year.
7133S9DPAJL._SX355_.gif.jpeg
(20.69 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

recaptcha

Post by recaptcha » 09 Sep 2017 19:35

I just bought a Panasonic RX-1950A from '82. It was originally $175! It can record, and it has an old fashioned metal antenna for radio!

http://www.petervis.com/electronics%20g ... X-1950.jpg

This is the newer grey model, mine is the old white model. The seller says the antenna is good, and the tape and radio work, but the tape is slow. it looked in great shape, besides dirt and what not. fake leather case on it is pretty much shot though.

This is mine:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UOEAAOSwB ... -l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/j0kAAOSwt ... -l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/a0wAAOSwR ... -l1600.jpg

Once I get it out of that dreadful case and cleaned up, I'd say it will look great! Besides, I only paid $30!