Suggestions for long Interconnects

radio, tape, stands and accessories
JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Suggestions for long Interconnects

Post by JollyJeweller » 16 Aug 2007 09:57

Again apologies to anyone who also reads my occasional posts on AVforums....
Due to the arrival of the new Monoblocks, the general consensus seems to be that longer interconnects is better than long speaker cable runs, so I'm trying to get hold of a pair of 3m or 4m interconnects, to place the mono blocks at the foot of each speaker, then keep the speaker cable to 0.5m each.

Can you recommend anyone that produces 4m interconnects that are decent quality but won't break the bank....the old visa card's had a hammering this month :-(

Post by Guest » 16 Aug 2007 10:53

Jolly

I for one dont hold with that theory as I believe in keeping signal paths as short as possible, especially between pre and power amps. They only need to be long enough to keep the power transformers and power supplies in the monoblocs away from the delicate signals within the pre-amp, so 0.75m runs are fine in my book. I for one would go with longer speaker cable. Chord Odyssey is thick silver plated OFC and is great for longer runs as it looses far less than conventional OFC on its own, and at £17/m is pretty good value. My control unit feeding my valve amp uses 0.5m solid silver multistrand interconnect and I do notice a deterioration in sound when I swap this for cheaper and longer interconnects. I experimented with speaker cable and currently use Chord Odyssey in two 5.5m runs with no audible loss over my previous 2.5m runs of QED, in fact it sounds night and day better!

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 16 Aug 2007 11:01

Just a word of caution.

I've used valve amps close to speakers with strong LF extension before, and it caused merry hell. Just about every bass note shook the output valves so violently that it was echoed back through the system.

Placement is crucial - short speaker cable runs are a good thing, microphonic valves next to speakers at high SPL's are not.

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 16 Aug 2007 11:03

Reply from AVforums:
A can of worms ......
>>There is much to be gained by keeping your speaker cables as short as possible. You’re solid state preamp should have no issues driving long interconnects (up to about 4-5 meters before you need to run a balanced configuration) and you can then stick your Mono-blocks down behind the speakers and you can use as little as 300 mm of speaker cable, and don’t coil up any excess speaker cable. Cut it to the right length and then leave it at that...

The theory behind this reasoning is that the lower impedance of the speakers and the higher voltages involved (and there for higher currents as well) make the system more sensitive to cable resistance and series inductance. The interconnects and the Pre-amp / Pwr-amp interface is a higher impedance and there fore less dependant on cable properties. Just make sure you use a low capacitance shielded cable for long interconnect runs.<<

My idea *was* , i need about 5 metres from the power amps to speaker, currently a single run of Odyssey 2 speaker cable. Insert apair of 3m interconnects which would place the block about 2 m behind the speaker in a well ventilated cupboard, then a 2m run of Odyssey or better spaeker cable.

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 16 Aug 2007 11:13

I'd go with that. I've always used monoblocs close to speakers with long interconnects, as that's always been the received wisdom.

If you can get a reasonable amount of clear air between the amps and speakers (putting them in a cupboard is a good idea if you can do it without heat issues, or put some form of baffle between them) you should get good results.

Post by Guest » 16 Aug 2007 11:14

It all depends on what you call "long speaker cable runs". Short runs for everything is the theoretical best as all cables induce losses.

If you're talking 5m or less, you really dont have an issue with the likes of Odyssey as the losses are so little and the output from your power amps is way in excess of that from the preamp, so if the theory you mention for long interconnects holds true, then its equally true of speaker runs but also depends on your speakers. If you used B&W 805's you would have a good point. If you used Tannoy Lancasters, you wouldn't need to worry. I have seen Wharfedale E70's driven using 10m lengths of bellwire (!) and slapping the fellow silly that did this, repositioning the amp (35 w/ch) and reducing to 2.5m runs of QED had little effect on the sound! Changing the interconnects did.

Abandonflip is right....dont park your monoblocs close to your speakers, nomatter how cool this looks, it'll wreck the sound and wont do your valve life any good.

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 16 Aug 2007 11:19

Just a thought - didn't Naim used to specify a minimum cable length years ago?

It's nothing really to do with this thread, as we're not discussing Naim amps, but I believe that back in the bad old Flat Earth days, they maintained that their amps wouldn't work properly without something like 2m of speaker cable per side. Sales of NAC A5 shot up!

:roll:

Post by Guest » 16 Aug 2007 11:25

Seem to remember something along those lines, but then again most people used 2m or more I guess. I

know that when I had my Lumley valve amp serviced, I was advised not to place it close to speakers and it always needs load on the valves, so I have no issues with longer cable runs, especially as the impedance loading of each speaker is a relatively easy nominal 6ohms

Post by Guest » 16 Aug 2007 11:29

ps Jolly......it'd be a shame if you parked those luverly monoblocs in a cupboard out of site somewhere! :D :wink:

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 16 Aug 2007 11:54

Maria wants to park them in a skip somewhere :-(
She thinks my Hifi is F*ugly.
By putting them in a cupboard i'm trying to show that I can be flexible.

Any suggestions on a supplier of a 3m pair of interconnects that's half decent?

Post by Guest » 16 Aug 2007 12:01

why not put her in the cupboard instead? :wink:

Try Absolute Sounds. I know that they do long l;engths of interconnect, orderable over the 'net

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 16 Aug 2007 12:41

Bigears wrote:Try Absolute Sounds.
Ricaaaaaaaaardo!

Wouldn't you love to own some of the stuff that's passed through his doors over the years?

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 16 Aug 2007 12:58

Bigears wrote:why not put her in the cupboard instead? :wink:

Try Absolute Sounds. I know that they do long l;engths of interconnect, orderable over the 'net
The way she's acting....she'll be in the skip soon.

Audie

Post by Audie » 16 Aug 2007 15:25

When in use my valve monoblocks are placed behind the speakers and I have not noticed any problems at high sound levels, although the speakers are 1.7 metres/5'7" in from the back walls, which probably helps.

Inexpensive, high performance interconnects you could use are Kimber pbj. If you will be fitting the rca plugs yourself, connect the third (screen) wire only at the preamp end.

Audie.

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 16 Aug 2007 15:42

Hello,
have you considered the long Low Capacitance model from Radio Shack? I use this from the preamp to my powered speakers, and get excellent results.
bauzace50