What Are You Putzing Around On These Days?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: What Are You Putzing Around On These Days?

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jan 2019 01:51

Isn't it great when everything works out in the end, Japi? :-k

Although, I think you might have to rethink your use of acetone on the next project... #-o

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Jan 2019 02:33

I have used isopropyl alcohol to remove that goo, It seems to work well enough.

Cheers,
Alec

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 23 Jan 2019 15:27

I did try IPA alcohol in the past but found that acetone works faster. Oh well, I guess this is the price I paid for my impatience...

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 25 Jan 2019 18:35

I've set the Dual CS 627Q project aside for a while, and am beginning to frame a half-dozen vintage monochrome photographic prints of Egypt from the old days. Notes on the back are in fountain pen, and the photos are signed "C.O. Barnard."

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 13 Feb 2019 17:36

Not having worked on many audio related projects in the recent past, most of my "putzing" has been done on vehicles lately and seeing washing machine switches & generators in this thread, why not a few auto troubles?. just before the last cold spell, I finally decided to try putting a thermostat in our 97 Blazer which had no heat, and discovered this where it was supposed to be.
IMG_2040.JPG
(31.53 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
I guess now I know why the previous owner said he"d always let it warm up before going out. I had also been noticing play in the steering, and found that an idler arm that I had already replaced twice in less than a year was again loose for the 3rd time. I removed it once again and walked to the auto parts store ready to have a fit about it's quality, fortunately they refunded my money and sold me a better brand before I got too upset.

December and early January's project was on a friends 98 Jimmy which he bought from a local tire store where it sat for years "just having a miss". aside from several missing bolts and loose mystery wires, we discovered no compression on #3 cylinder and after some digging, discovered this :roll: .
screwed valve.jpg
(215.16 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Once we finally put it back together with a replacement head, we discovered that it would only run with the distributor 1.5 teeth from it's factory marks, leaving me to assume the timing chain was installed incorrectly at some time. I do suspect the block was recently serviced as it still had cross hatch marks from the cylinders being honed. The timing chain, and the loose wires which could have something to do with it lacking 4th gear if put in overdrive remain to be addressed, but he's just glad to have transportation for now. Two days after it was again running, the climate control quit, however I was able to fix this issue, a tiny trace providing power to the control panel microprocessor had corroded in half requiring a jumper wire to bypass.

Before I could even begin the last project , I had to remove a previous abandoned 82 Wagoneer project from the garage which I really feel like a putz for acquiring and driving home last spring. By the time I got it here, the rear body mounts had come through the floor, drivers seat was broken loose, and several patches & a considerable amount of the frame's metal had fallen away #-o . Other than a little work on the drivers side floor, this one ended up set aside for another day, or maybe to be passed on to some interested jeep enthusiast.
032618170jeep.jpg
(104.02 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
As it looks icy out, maybe I'll get back to repainting the bedroom doors and trim which i had started a couple weeks back as the yellowed, peeling paint was really beginning to get to me.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Feb 2019 21:45

It sounds like you're doing a good job on those auto repairs Big B! =D>

That Wagoneer looks like a real antique! It's nice to have a 4 wheel drive in the winter.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 13 Feb 2019 23:18

That was a before picture on the Wagoneer, you should see the holes after it hit a few bumps on the way home, and after I took up the drivers seat & carpet, but before I depleted my scrap sheet metal supply riveting and trying to weld in a new floor. I would have taken a fresh picture but It's currently covered in snow. Fortunately the Blazer has 4 wheel drive as well, although it still has it's share of yet unattended to issues . A couple other projects still on the agenda are straightening the fender enough to fix the marker light on our old ugly 84 Chevy Pickup and helping put a bumper & brakes on the friend's 97 Dodge 4x4 farm truck which inadvertently managed to coast down a hill into it a couple months back even while in park :evil: :evil: . I think I have the bumper and frame on ours at least passable now after a workout with a chain and tree [-o< .

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 21 Apr 2019 00:53

I acquired a basket case KD 500. Since my main machine is a highly hacked KD 500 these things are dear to my heart.

The plan is to bring the ailing machine back to life. So far I have the motor running open loop.

The tach was not working. In addition to some severed wire the LED in the optical tach was bad. I have a suitable part on order but while waiting for it to arrive I redneck machined an LED from my stash to fit with my Makita drill and a small file:

gallery/image/45190/medium

This kludge actually works though I can’t fit the top cover on the motor. The platter fits with sufficient clearence so I can keep troubleshooting while waiting for the more suitable LED to arrive.

Phil

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 21 Apr 2019 04:32

My Windows machine is down waiting for parts and I’m struggling with my i-pad. That is the excuse for the repeated posts above. At first I did not see the picture so I tried again and thought I had it right. I then had to leave. Now that I returned I found the above and the edit period has elapsed.

JAS, if you see this please fix it as it is embarasing. All I need is one post with the picture showing properly.

Thanks,

Phil

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 03 May 2019 05:18

I found a pair of Realistic Minimus 22 speakers at VV, and $8 was too low a price for me to leave them.
The adhesive holding the front rings on the tweeter magnets had dried out. One magnet had fallen off (must have been dropped), and the other had the voice coil pinned.
I put a few wooden stir/craft sticks in the magnet gap, then slid the front ring over them, and added more sticks around the circle.
Using the screws that hold the faceplate and diaphragm to the magnet, without the faceplate, allowed me to raise the ring off the magnet enough to get some super-glue gel in between them, and removing the screws, the magnet was enough of a clamp.
Pulled out the sticks the next morning and replaced the faceplate, as carefully as possible, and they work. :)
Cosmetically, they need some cleaning.

Cheers,
Alec
Attachments
magnet_-_1.jpg
(117.52 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 May 2019 12:22

Very innovative solution Alec, that's using the old noodle! =D>

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 04 May 2019 20:21

hinking that it was too bad you could only do that with a tweeter magnet assembly, but then I got to thinking that you could probably drill and tap the front plate of a mid or bass driver magnet.

Cheers,
Alec

Steve64

Post by Steve64 » 05 May 2019 01:18

I'm re-plumbing my house!!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 May 2019 13:06

Steve64 wrote:
05 May 2019 01:18
I'm re-plumbing my house!!
That sounds like a challenging job!

Yesterday I tried to start my John Deere garden tractor and encountered a near flat and a depleted battery. I pumped up the tire with the compressor and then went to put a charger on the battery.
I was shocked to find that over the winter a squirrel or rodent decided to chew up a few wires under the hood! :shock:

Thankfully I was able to figure out what wire went where, but sections of wire were missing and there wasn't much wire left at the connector to use wire nuts. I had to find some suitable wire in similar colours and splice and solder them to the ends of what was left and cover the splices with heat shrink. I was also able to splice and solder at the connectors although it was very,very tricky.

Thankfully I was able to fix it myself since it would have cost a lot to haul the tractor to a dealer and then I'd have to wait till they could fix it. It works great now but I am now at war with the local squirrels and rodents! :mrgreen:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 May 2019 07:14

Those squirrels can get quite crafty! One of my neighbors (an older man) back in the day had a problem with squirrels climbing up a pole that held one of his birdhouses on top and stealing all the seed for themselves, so he put some type of sticky tar around the pole, to encourage them slipping down the pole...Well, they just found a nearby tree branch that they could use as a jumping-off point and they would just pounce onto the birdhouse from above...Oh, well...He tried! 8-[