the home of the turntable

What Are You Putzing Around On These Days?

radio, tape, stands and accessories

What Are You Putzing Around On These Days?

Postby Tinkaroo » 31 Mar 2017 14:38

I used to think that I was trying to fix or maintain some of my equipment working till I was reminded by our former resident professional audio technician that I was really just putzing around.

Unfortunately since I can't always find such a highly esteemed professional around or afford their high fees I need to putz around and fix some of my equipment such as turntables with my limited, lowly unprofessional skills and sometimes with advice from some helpful individuals from here.

My latest attempt at putzing has been with trying to get my Dual 1229 turntable that was mishandled during shipping working properly again. It needs cleaning and lubing as well as a new single/multi sleeve.

What are you putzing around with these days?
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Re: What Are You Putzing Around On These Days?

Postby Coffee Phil » 31 Mar 2017 17:46

Hi Tinkaroo,

Actually I have a bunch of them. My Harmon Kardon Citation 4 is nearing completion, also my Beogram 3000 with the DC motor conversion is in pieces. I had the stuff spread on the table integrating the motor with the SMPS when stuff slipped off fring some transistors and a control IC on the motor. I got that back working ready to resume where I was with hopefully more care this time. I'm back into my Franken Edison cylinder player. Inkfingers arm conversion inspired that. I may use a straight arm like what he took off.

My grandson's BMW 325ic is in the garage. He bought it mid valve job. We are almost done. We are having trouble finding the home for one connector. We may have to resort to putting power to it and seeing what error codes we get to sort it out.

Good luck with the Dual. I once had a 1229Q. Nice machine.

Head Incompetent Belt Grinding Putzer

Tinkaroo wrote:I used to think that I was trying to fix or maintain some of my equipment working till I was reminded by our former resident professional audio technician that I was really just putzing around.

Unfortunately since I can't always find such a highly esteemed professional around or afford their high fees I need to putz around and fix some of my equipment such as turntables with my limited, lowly unprofessional skills and sometimes with advice from some helpful individuals from here.

My latest attempt at putzing has been with trying to get my Dual 1229 turntable that was mishandled during shipping working properly again. It needs cleaning and lubing as well as a new single/multi sleeve.

What are you putzing around with these days?
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Japi Roelofs » 31 Mar 2017 20:04

Since I bought a stack of 40+ pieces of audio gear a while ago, there has been some serious putzing around going on here lately.

Uncapable of fixing anything but turntables, I called two old friends to the rescue. One of them is a former pirate radio enthusiast and a cheerful and creative anarchist. The other one is an old electronics wizard, specializing in amps and radios, but he'll fix anything if it has a power cord coming out of it.

The latest project I undertook with my friends was a 1952 Philips console with a record changer and a tube receiver in it. A customer for whom I repaired a Dual 616Q asked me to get it working again. It was totally out of my league, but I accepted the challenge anyway.

My creative friend rigged together a new idler wheel by cutting up a rubber turntable mat. He also figured out how to fix the 12" detection system, which allows the user to stack 10" and 12" records randomly.
My wizard friend fixed the radio, replaced some tubes and a device called the magic eye (I'm still not sure what it does).
All I could do was clean up the changer's exterior, oil the motor and bearing, and change the stylus.

Even at this simple task I have been proven to be a completely incompetent putzer. The changer sounded fine with the old stylus. With the new stylus the sound was tinny and intermittent. I took the cart back home with me, and then I finally figured out that I forgot that it's a mono cart. This means the stylus needs lateral movement, while I focused on the up and down movement. Turns out I mounted the stylus holder incorrectly, causing the stylus to be blocked in the side to side area.

I haven't been able to test the sound yet, this will have to wait until my pirate radio friend finishes work on this transmitter device. This will allow the owner to play music from his computer, transmitted through this device via AM radio waves, to the old radio.

Needless to say I'd be lost without these guys.
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 31 Mar 2017 20:37

My older son, Juan Cruz, commented the other day that it seems every Saturday, upon waking up and walking into the living room, he finds me with the stereo rack moved at a 45 degree angle from the wall and there I am disconnecting and connecting some cable :lol:

Current Putzing around: Installed my AT-150 MLX cartridge on my beloved Technics SL-1400 MK2. Since it's 1.8 grams heavier than its predecessor, the AT-440MLA that I destroyed (please see "Self Inflicted Turntable Disasters" thread), and I've already connected it without verifying this small detail first #-o, this Saturday I will be removing the 2.0 gram penny I blue tacked to the top of the head shell to allow me to load it to 1.25 grams with the counter weight much closer to the pivot. 8)

Best from the Pampas,
Roberto
"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none." Benjamin Franklin
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 01 Apr 2017 14:13

Update - Completed above task and the AT-150 MLX sounds superb =D> =D> =D>

Now listening to Beethoven's complete violin sonatas. A violin and a piano. DM label, German pressings. Fantastic for a Saturday morning 8)

Best from the Pampas,
roberto
"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none." Benjamin Franklin
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby Tinkaroo » 01 Apr 2017 18:53

Roberto C2H3 wrote:Update - Completed above task and the AT-150 MLX sounds superb =D> =D> =D>

Now listening to Beethoven's complete violin sonatas. A violin and a piano. DM label, German pressings. Fantastic for a Saturday morning 8)

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

It's great to see that putzing has it's payoff in the the end in some great listening pleasure.

I am enjoying listening to Al Hirt on the Dual 1249 I putzed with a few months ago. It works like a charm now.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 02 Apr 2017 14:24

Right on Tinkaroo 8)

Enjoying great music with equipment you repaired and or set up is indeed mighty fine, mighty fine. =D>

Best from the Pampas,
roberto
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby jdjohn » 03 Apr 2017 01:58

I have a couple of putzing projects going on right now.

(2) Onkyo CP-1027F turntables is one project...or is that two? :lol: I got one from my dad's garage that works great, but had a terribly cracked dustcover. I bought a 'donor' tt on eBay with a good dustcover, but of course it got cracked during shipping #-o The auto features are not working on the donor, so I'm trying to get that sorted...I think I narrowed it down to a bad diode, so waiting on a new one to arrive. In the end, I hope to have two working decks (with less-than-desirable dustcovers) that I can give away or sell on the cheap.

I also have a pair of Magnepan SMG speakers that I'm restoring. The grill-cloth socks and bezel frames have mildew on them, so they have been removed at this point for cleaning (LOTS of staples), but I also noticed a couple of the coils have unglued from the mylar, so I need to get those glued and sealed back down. The listening sweet-spot on these Maggies is a little low (around 5ft high), so I'll probably build box stands for them to sit up on, and also replace the capacitors and inductors while I'm working on them.

I have other projects still waiting in the wings...

Oh, and my son and I pulled the alternator off his 4Runner today, had it bench-tested, and it passed, so we cleaned the terminal contacts on the battery and will give everything another go. It died on him while driving down the road, and I was convinced it was the alternator not working which drained the battery until it was spent, but back to the drawing board now :?

Tink, don't forget that mrow2 (Don) sells those rubber sleeves for the singe/multi Dual changers.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 03 Apr 2017 09:53

Good luck with your Onkyo turntables and the Magnepans JD!

I'm glad to hear that the alternator was good on the 4Runner since it would have been expensive if it wasn't. If the battery is 5 years or older it can often be suspect.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Tinkaroo » 03 Apr 2017 16:39

It seems that putzing has a way of finding us even if we have other plans. #-o

I had to remove the drain filter/trap on my front load washer this morning since it was completely clogged with dog hair and fibers. The dogs are short hair, but it still gets caught up in the drain trap along with lint and general schmutz.

It is a PITA for the info of those who haven't done it before since the washer is full of water and soggy clothes, and the only way to drain it is by removing the rubber coupling underneath to drain what hasn't already been scooped out into a shallow tray.

A good way to ruin a morning, but better than having to pay a serviceman!
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby kramer » 03 Apr 2017 18:09

I recently got my Sansui SR222 MK1 out of storage with the intention of using in a secondary system. Whilst checking it over and oiling the bearing I notice that the arm assembly was loose. I thought it would be an easy fix and just needed tightening to the plinth.

However (and I wish there wasn't one) I had barely turned the locking screw when I heard the tonearm drop onto the work bench. I thought I was going to need a new tone arm, but I decided to attempt a fix. I glad to say its up and running despite my lousy tonearm wiring soldering.
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg
07.jpg
Carefully drilled and countersunk for self tappers
08.jpg
Self tapping screws secured to the orignal lower washer
09.JPG
kramer
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby JoeE SP9 » 03 Apr 2017 18:27

jdjohn wrote:I
The listening sweet-spot on these Maggies is a little low (around 5ft high), so I'll probably build box stands for them to sit up on, and also replace the capacitors and inductors while I'm working on them.

I have other projects still waiting in the wings...

Do yourself a favor and buy two powered subwoofers and sit those SMG's on top of them. You'll get a higher soundstage and some real bass.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 03 Apr 2017 20:39

Tinkaroo, surely cute little Daisy wouldn't clog up your washer. I guess you could make her an outside dog :wink:

Nice job, kramer. I always say the best soldering job is the one that works.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. Definitely something to consider :-k although I may run out of sockets, or trip a breaker with two powered subs on top of everything else already on that circuit. The SMGs could use a little extra bass, but it is amazing to me the sound they put out; I would never guess that a 1"-thick speaker could produce such nice overall sound. I look forward to getting them into better shape.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 04 Apr 2017 01:55

Or...what about a DIY wooden box stand with passive sub drivers built into them? I have an extra power amp that I could use to drive them.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 04 Apr 2017 13:02

Thanks for the tips JD!

I have already ordered a couple of Dual Single/Multi sleeves from Don plus some of the precious Alvania too. :mrgreen:

Daisy's idea of helping me while I lay on the ground trying to fix the washer would be to jump on my head! :lol:
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Next

Return to Other Stuff