the home of the turntable

FM radio.

radio, tape, stands and accessories

FM radio.

Postby robgil » 29 Aug 2016 08:12

I asked about an indoor aerial a while back,

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49073&p=382674&hilit=transmitter#p382674

So I've been plugging the tuner into my Tv aerial socket with pretty good results , but its not great.
I get BBC1, 2 , 3 and 4 but 2 and 4 are weaker than the other two and can only be heard in mono.
I understand a new roof aerial would probably solve this but I was wondering is it normal for the two BBC radio stations mentioned above to be weaker than the rest? Especially seeing as they come from the same transmitter and are both BBC stations.
robgil
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Re: FM radio.

Postby robgil » 29 Aug 2016 10:26

So I found this under the stairs, haven't seen it for years, it works, all FM is now in stereo.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AryLpsKXwOkHhfwwoymUTsNMfaSTCA

It seems to be only for a TV, is this thing Ok to use on an FM tuner?
robgil
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Tinkaroo » 29 Aug 2016 11:34

Have you tried a good dipole antenna?

Sometimes placing it near a window or trying different angles and locations can result in better reception.

Some tuners are more sensitive than others as far as reception goes.
Tinkaroo
long player
long player

Postby TudorTurtle » 29 Aug 2016 13:34

I use a small tv antenna for fm and it works better than the dipole for me because it's easy to adjust for different statipns.
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 29 Aug 2016 14:40

As I understand it, the FM band and the VHF band are very close. Rabbit-ear antennas work well with FM, and can be found for next to nothing.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby josephazannieri » 29 Aug 2016 15:27

Yo robgil:

The 88-208 MHz band lies between the old VHF Channel 6 and Channel 7. When I was living in New Jersey with my parents many years ago, I could get the sound for Channel 6 in Philadelphia, PA on my FM radio at one end of the FM band. I thought it was cool, because my parents never owned a television, so I could not watch TV. This means you can use a VHF TV antenna, such as rabbit ears, to listen to FM radio off the air. It will help if you adjust the length of each rabbit ear to about 28 inches, so the total length is 56 inches. Length of antenna is critical for FM, so it will help if you drop the ears so they are flat for maximum length. Remember that the frequencies for FM are line of sight. If the station is far enough away so that it is below the horizon, you will lose it. The higher up the antenna is, the better the reception will be. Best place for FM antenna is in the attic or on the roof.

You can also make a folded dipole antenna by cutting a length of 300 ohm flat TV twinlead about 57 or 58 inches long and stripping the ends and soldering the 2 copper conductors together at each end. Then fold the twinlead exactly in half and cut one side of the twinlead and strip it back an inch or so on each side of the cut. Then take more of the twinlead, strip the end of that twinlead and solder one conductor to each of the ends at the middle of the 57 or 58 inch piece of the twinlead. Then you can orient that for best reception. and remember the higher the antenna is, the better the reception.

Of course my suggestions are general rules. If you have some weird situation, like a dead spot for one of your stations, they may not work.

And good luck from that high, but still flat, old guy,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Big B5515 » 30 Aug 2016 03:23

robgil wrote:So I found this under the stairs, haven't seen it for years, it works, all FM is now in stereo.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AryLpsKXwOkHhfwwoymUTsNMfaSTCA

It seems to be only for a TV, is this thing Ok to use on an FM tuner?

I've been using 2 such distribution amps in my FM antenna system connected to 9 radios for around 7 years with no issues. The first, a 30+ year old 3 way, 3 ch. Radio Shack video distribution system near antenna is also driving a second newer 4 way, 10db distribution amp serving longer coax runs and\or splitters. They work best if (first unit) placed as close as possible to antenna, before significant splitter or cable losses. I'd consider it perfectly suitable, unless it has a built in FM notch filter, obviously not so if it improves reception.
Big B
Vinyl, 78's, cylinders, and at least one radio or audio system in every room. Music around the clock is what matters most.
Big B5515
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Perfect Alignment » 27 Nov 2016 19:09

If you have a quality tuner then it deserves a roof top aerial. They seem to be harder to get these days. Mines been in place for over 10 years and its one of the best investments in enjoyment I've ever made. Pure hash free music, free!
Perfect Alignment

Scotland

Postby fscl » 28 Nov 2016 17:42

From wiki searching "UK FM Broadcast Frequencies" :
Frequency utilisation[edit]
From 1955 the band 88.0 – 94.6 MHz was used (allotted and assigned) for three BBC national networks. Over the next 40 years, the band grew piecemeal to 87.5 – 108.0 MHz, allowing for five national networks and many local stations.
Until 1995, parts of the band had been used in the United Kingdom for mobile service by police, fire brigades and the fuel and power industries. These parts were reassigned to broadcasting service gradually over many years as the communications services were transferred to new equipment in other parts of the spectrum.
The current frequency allotment plan is based on an ITU agreement made in Geneva in 1984.[3] The table below shows which kind of broadcasting transmitter stations are the main users of each part of the band. There are many exceptions. In some areas there is some commercial usage of the 'BBC local' sub bands while in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the 'Radio 4' and 'BBC Local' ranges are used interchangeably. Community radio stations and RSLs tend to be fitted into any locally-available position.
Sub-band (MHz) Main usage
87.5 – 88.0 Restricted Service Licences
88.0 – 90.2 BBC Radio 2
90.2 – 92.4 BBC Radio 3
92.4 – 94.6 BBC Radio 4
94.6 – 96.1 BBC Local Radio
96.1 – 97.6 Independent Local Radio
97.6 – 99.8 BBC Radio 1
99.8 – 102.0 Independent National Radio (currently Classic FM)
102.0 – 103.5 Independent Local Radio
103.5 – 104.9 BBC Local Radio
104.9 – 108.0 Independent Local Radio

Can't view your second link, however, it seems that the new UK TV channels are being broadcast in a higher carrier frequency range.

https://ukfree.tv/maps/uhfchannel

If old UK carrier frequencies overlapped / correspond to 87 to 108MHz then the previous recommended solutions ie T-dipole and / or old TV antenna should work well.

Good luck.

PS One of the best emergency portable radios I had was one that allowed me to tune into TV channels 2-13 and receive audio. Since we've gone broadcast DTV, this spread has been nullified.... :(

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....Music Discovery Starts Here.....WFUV Member
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Vortac180 » 30 Nov 2016 00:33

Perfect Alignment wrote:If you have a quality tuner then it deserves a roof top aerial. They seem to be harder to get these days. Mines been in place for over 10 years and its one of the best investments in enjoyment I've ever made. Pure hash free music, free!

We have a home owners association that thinks roof-top aerials look tacky, but for some reason, satellite dishes appear fine and are "approved". I tried free TV from an aerial in the attic, but the reception was poor. Went back to cable.

Geoff
Vortac180

United States of America

Postby satanfriendly » 01 Dec 2016 09:06

If you have a quality tuner then it deserves a roof top aerial

Absolutely. If you are really in to FM then a roof top aerial makes a whole world of difference. Reception, station availability and quality all improve no end. Tis the way to go
Twenty Eight
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby Perfect Alignment » 01 Dec 2016 13:09

Vortac180 wrote:
Perfect Alignment wrote:If you have a quality tuner then it deserves a roof top aerial. They seem to be harder to get these days. Mines been in place for over 10 years and its one of the best investments in enjoyment I've ever made. Pure hash free music, free!

We have a home owners association that thinks roof-top aerials look tacky, but for some reason, satellite dishes appear fine and are "approved". I tried free TV from an aerial in the attic, but the reception was poor. Went back to cable.

Geoff

Geoff

You know what ... I moved into the house in 2003, new estate and within a month a aerial was up on the roof, a big one. The following month I had a letter from the council saying that one of the neighbours had complained. I dealt with it very swiftly - the council could not object and the aerial has been serving me well for 13 years.

I think I may have even used the example of hideous satellite dishes that were littering the roofs.

There is a conspiracy out there to dumb us all down and make everyone pander to the lowest common denominator. I'd not going there.

A good aerial is a better investment then spending 5X's as much on a tuner. We need music, we need aerials and we need to fight the trogs wherever and whenever they raise their heads!

There ..said it and feel better for it!!!
Perfect Alignment

Scotland

Postby satanfriendly » 01 Dec 2016 17:18

and we need to fight the trogs wherever and whenever they raise their heads!

There ..said it and feel better for it!!!

There will always be out and right twats out there who want to make an issue out of anything and everything.
Twenty Eight
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby Perfect Alignment » 01 Dec 2016 21:01

Life is never easy. We're tested all the time!
Perfect Alignment

Scotland

Postby satanfriendly » 01 Dec 2016 22:28

Understand you completely....it's a side affect of being married
Twenty Eight
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Next