What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

radio, tape, stands and accessories
JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by JoeE SP9 » 03 Apr 2017 17:33

It's highly probable that you and I have very different definitions of what a soundstage is.

To reiterate: A soundstage is the aural impression of musicians performing on a stage over there where your speakers used to be. Headphones simply can't do that.

The Smyth Realizer can make headphones produce a real soundstage. Unfortunately it's a tad expensive.

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 03 Apr 2017 21:22

JoeE SP9 wrote:It's highly probable that you and I have very different definitions of what a soundstage is.

To reiterate: A soundstage is the aural impression of musicians performing on a stage over there where your speakers used to be. Headphones simply can't do that.

The Smyth Realizer can make headphones produce a real soundstage. Unfortunately it's a tad expensive.
There's an interesting thread here on the concept of "soundstage". I personally liken it to the imagination of the sound being from different distances and places around/in front of me.

I have a very active imagination, always have done, I've always experienced many things with more impact than others, I'm very emotional, drukqs and alcohol always hit me with a more intense impact than others, albums make me cry or break out into uncontrolled laughter.

Think it's connected to that, quite possibly a level of madness that aids the senses somewhat :)

ammarmariti
Malaysia

Post by ammarmariti » 04 Apr 2017 03:26

I think people grouped soundstage and instrument positioning into one when they can be divided into two sub categories.
Soundstage is how real and out of the head kind of experience the headphones are. For speakers - how well they disappear and letting only music appearing as if out of thin air. How literally it feels like there's a stage of musicians in front of you playing instead of a pair of speakers or headphone drivers.
Instrument Positioning (or as I like to call it Imaging) is how clear the positions of each instrument and singer occupies in that Soundstage. A soundstage can be as 3D as a live performance with multiple layers of players occupying the stage, but the Imaging could be fuzzy as an instrument can sound as if coming from a general direction. A sharp Imaging in a 3D soundstage can make and convince you that the vocalist is standing exactly "there" as a floating disembodied voice and you can point your finger in confidence where exactly they are.

I've had an experience with a great imaging setup a few years ago in a local audio store. They had a blues or jazz record playing, it was a woman. I didn't get to catch what album it was or the setup because I was young and uninterested.
The experience was breathtaking. The lady was literally in the room. I can hear her breath and the weight of her voice, it was so surreal. She was a disembodied voice, hanging there in space, and I can almost touch her face.
It was maddening. I just walked straight to the turntable and started to reach my hand forward and waved it about because I literally cannot believe what I was listening.

I think the record was mono because everything was in the center channel. But the imaging was so crisp they might as well call it Pringles.

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 05 Apr 2017 12:08

ammarmariti wrote:I think people grouped soundstage and instrument positioning into one when they can be divided into two sub categories.
Soundstage is how real and out of the head kind of experience the headphones are. For speakers - how well they disappear and letting only music appearing as if out of thin air. How literally it feels like there's a stage of musicians in front of you playing instead of a pair of speakers or headphone drivers.
Instrument Positioning (or as I like to call it Imaging) is how clear the positions of each instrument and singer occupies in that Soundstage. A soundstage can be as 3D as a live performance with multiple layers of players occupying the stage, but the Imaging could be fuzzy as an instrument can sound as if coming from a general direction. A sharp Imaging in a 3D soundstage can make and convince you that the vocalist is standing exactly "there" as a floating disembodied voice and you can point your finger in confidence where exactly they are.

I've had an experience with a great imaging setup a few years ago in a local audio store. They had a blues or jazz record playing, it was a woman. I didn't get to catch what album it was or the setup because I was young and uninterested.
The experience was breathtaking. The lady was literally in the room. I can hear her breath and the weight of her voice, it was so surreal. She was a disembodied voice, hanging there in space, and I can almost touch her face.
It was maddening. I just walked straight to the turntable and started to reach my hand forward and waved it about because I literally cannot believe what I was listening.

I think the record was mono because everything was in the center channel. But the imaging was so crisp they might as well call it Pringles.
That's good info, thanks.

pogo
long player
long player

Post by pogo » 12 Apr 2017 01:38

I have a pair of pioneers I bought in the PX in 1970 and a pair of Art & Sound Bluetooth that I bought at the 99 cents only store for $6. Go figure. I was very pleasantly surprised by the audio they produce. Would they become my primary listening device? Heck no, but they serve a very important purpose in that they allow me to manage my media server, digitize and rip without bothering Mrs. Pogo's TV viewing in the same room or dragging a cable around. They are lightweight and comfortable and allow me to do what I bought them for.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 28 Apr 2017 16:43

These are my latest headphones. Beyerdynamic DT250-250 ohms.

Not recommended for someone with big ears, which thankfully is not me.
Beyerdynamic DT250 1.JPG
(143.05 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Beyerdynamic DT250 2.JPG
(166.62 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Beyerdynamic DT250 3.JPG
(197.26 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 May 2017 13:48

I just got this pair of vintage AKG K240 Sextett headphones.

They are referred to as the Sextett since they use six passive diaphragms in addition to the main driver. They stopped making this design due to it being too expensive to build and went with less costly variations afterwards. These are 600 ohm, so you need an amp for them.

Made in Austria, not China like some of the newer AKGs.
AKG K240 Sextett 2.jpg
(181.07 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
AKG K240 Sextett 3.jpg
(164.16 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
AKG K240 Sextett 4.jpg
(184.39 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
AKG K240 Sextett 5.jpg
(215.73 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 17 May 2017 00:01

Tinkaroo wrote:I just got this pair of vintage AKG K240 Sextett headphones.

They are referred to as the Sextett since they use six passive diaphragms in addition to the main driver. They stopped making this design due to it being too expensive to build and went with less costly variations afterwards. These are 600 ohm, so you need an amp for them.

AKG K240 Sextett 2.jpg
AKG K240 Sextett 3.jpg
AKG K240 Sextett 4.jpg
AKG K240 Sextett 5.jpg
Nice find =D>

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 May 2017 12:00

andybeau wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:I just got this pair of vintage AKG K240 Sextett headphones.

AKG K240 Sextett 2.jpg
AKG K240 Sextett 3.jpg
AKG K240 Sextett 4.jpg
AKG K240 Sextett 5.jpg
Nice find =D>
Thanks Andy!

Hopefully they will get here either by the end of this week or by early next week. The owner was a collector who has too many headphones.

I know Alec has a couple of pairs of these and thinks they are great, plus there seems to be a great deal of enthusiasm for the design on the headphone sites. I've been looking for a good pair for a while now.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 18 May 2017 13:45

Tink: So how do you like the DT250/250? And I'd be curious regarding what differences and similarities you perceive between that and the DT150 - 'cause I still wonder, whether I should grab one...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 May 2017 14:45

lini wrote:Tink: So how do you like the DT250/250? And I'd be curious regarding what differences and similarities you perceive between that and the DT150 - 'cause I still wonder, whether I should grab one...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
I like the DT250, but I would have to give the edge to the DT150.

The DT150 uses much thicker pleather pads that space the drivers further from the ear and give a better seal. That plus they ear-holes are a bit roomier. The added distance from the ear makes for a better listening experience for me since the driver is further way, rather than almost against the outer ear itself.

The DT250 are a bit lighter but not built quite as solidly as the DT150. The velour pads are comfortable but don't provide as good a seal and lack room due to the smaller ear opening.

I know the DT150 may not be as cool looking but they do what they were designed to do very well and all of the parts can be easily replaced.

I also prefer the straight cord on the 150 over the coiled cord on the 250.
Beyerdynamic DT150 1.JPG
(204.8 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Beyerdynamic DT150 4.JPG
(72.11 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Beyerdynamic DT250 1.JPG
(143.05 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Beyerdynamic DT250 4.JPG
(211.62 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 18 May 2017 19:57

Tink: Thank you - but I probably should have been more precise, because I rather had impressions regarding the sound quality in mind (while I'd expect the fit & feel to be pretty much the same as with the DT100, which I still remember from our speech lab at school...). For example, I could imagine that the DT150 sounds a bit less present in the mids & lower highs and hence probably also a bit more bassy...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 May 2017 10:14

lini wrote:Tink: Thank you - but I probably should have been more precise, because I rather had impressions regarding the sound quality in mind (while I'd expect the fit & feel to be pretty much the same as with the DT100, which I still remember from our speech lab at school...). For example, I could imagine that the DT150 sounds a bit less present in the mids & lower highs and hence probably also a bit more bassy...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Hi Manfred:

I listened to both again last night and don't find the mids or highs to be lacking at all with the DT150. The mids are actually quite nice and overall the sound seems fairly well balanced.

The frequency response on the DT250 is 10-30000 Hz and 5-30,000 Hz on the DT150. They are both very nice sounding headphones.

Hopefully you can check out some DT150 in person sometime since headphones are a very personal thing and all the reviews in the world are no substitute for that hands on or shall we say ears on experience.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 19 May 2017 15:07

Tink: Seems like I rather confused you with my example - 'cause the attributes in that were just meant to describe the differences, but not intended to express a judgement.

Let me try to explain: For example, if I compare the DT250/250 and the DT531 side by side, these two sound very similar to me, but with the former being a bit more present in the midrange and lower highs (so much for the description of the perceived difference - now the judgement...) - which to my ears can come in handy in combination with recordings with somewhat hard to understand voices, but on the other hand also lets the DT250/250 appear a bit "nasal" in direct comparison. However, that's really just a bit and by far not enough to call the DT250/250 a nasal sounding headphone on the absolute scale - nevertheless it's already enough for me to prefer the DT531 most of the time.

So that more "less/more present in the midrange and lower highs" in my examples would mean just that: a perceived difference. It wasn't intended to contain any statement about which I'd deem better.

So what I'd be mainly interested in would be your impressions regarding the differences you perceive between the DT250/250 and the DT150 and how small or large you'd rate these. While how you'd judge these differences according to your taste would rather be an optional extra - also interesting, but probably not quite as helpful for me due to being more taste-dependent.

I.e., your impressions could help me to determine, whether the DT150 could be worth a try for me - which would be the case, if it would sound pretty similar to the DT250/250 and DT531 (ideally I'd look for something right in between regarding the presence of the midrange and lower highs relative to the bass and upper highs...). Whereas if it would sound more similar to one of the Beyerdynamics in my collection I don't like as much (DT770Pro/250, DT990Pro/250, DT880 (this version: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/beyer/dt880.html), DT250/80, DT931 and DT440 (this version: https://www.headphonereviews.org/headph ... amic/DT440)), I'd probably hardly ever use it...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 May 2017 11:03

I'll have to get back to you later on the Beyerdynamic DT150 vs DT250 Manfred.

I will try to listen to the same music on both headphones. I was thinking of the album Blue by Joni Mitchell? Any other suggestions for artists or types of music which might show what you are looking for as a comparison?