What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Fire99
Canada

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by Fire99 » 13 Mar 2017 12:39

I'm currently using a set of Audeze Lcd 3's/Fazor with Wireworld's Nano-Eclipse headphone cable powered by a Rega Ear amp
Attachments
IMG_1572.JPG
(921.28 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
IMG_1571.JPG
(941.86 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
IMG_1569.JPG
(659.2 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Mar 2017 15:44

I just bought these Selfix brand Made in Japan headphones, probably 1970s vintage.

The build quality looks pretty good, the sliders have been cleaned and solder joints checked.

Plus the nerdiness factor on the styling can't be beat on these! 8)
Selfix 1.JPG
(342.1 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Selfix 2.JPG
(268.01 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Selfix 3.JPG
(274.46 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Selfix 4.JPG
(293.64 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Mar 2017 13:52

Those are quite interesting, Tink... :-k I've never seen those before! I wonder how they compare to your Beyerdynamics, AKG, Koss, Pioneer, etc.? There is definitely a cool, nerd factor about them, but we may be in the minority...The question is...How do they sound to you? :-k I also like the bass and treble controls...Unusual design, too!

Are THESE the ones?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-headphones/new-g ... 1237796347

I don't know much about the company, but I saw some Selfix cameras and transistor radios...I wonder if they were all made by the same company? :-k

I saw these, too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Selfix- ... SwSlBYxIr-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SELFIX- ... Sw4A5YxEY9

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Mar 2017 14:13

Yes those are the ones. =D>

I won't be getting them till the middle of next week, but will give some impressions once they do. I don't expect them to measure up to the AKG and Beyerdynamic ones I have but hopefully with the tone controls etc. they will sound pretty good and can be adjusted so they don't sound too sharp in tone.

From what I have been able to figure out "Selfix" was a brand name used by Magnasonic of Canada at one time on some of their products. I'm not sure who actually built these but perhaps some Japanese company who also built for other companies.

They look to be very well built and even have locking knobs on the headand adjustment.

Those last two you linked to look a bit like the Sansui SS-2 I have.

Actually even though we may be in the minority in liking some of these vintage headphones we are not alone. There were others who were interested in this particular set.

cdnduck

Post by cdnduck » 19 Mar 2017 15:21

Would anyone have any ideas what would be a good Headphone amp for the Sony MRD-1A. Just switch my NAD VISO 50 headphones which I could only wear for 15 minutes tops without painfully ears to these new Sonys and I have had about 10 hours use so far without any pain. I also had the Sony MDR-XB600 along with the Audio Techinica ATH-M50x which both pairs had similar effects with painfully experiences.

Since my NAD C725BEE already has a plug for headphones, this new amp will be for listening to Spotify on my Mac mostly.

Thanks

levman0545

Post by levman0545 » 23 Mar 2017 00:58

Sennhiser HD 598 50 Ohm headphones with the Carver C-1 headphone amp(Sounds Fantastic)

Schiits Audio Mangi headphone amp ($100)Great budget headphone amp that can drive up to 75 Ohm headphones and is used with my Computer for occasional gaming and needed audio while on-line.

Schiits Audio has some really great headphone amps and DACs that are all made in America, which is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Some are perfect for computer use at $100 each you can get a USB DAC and the Mangi II that match perfectly and are very well built.

levman0545

Post by levman0545 » 23 Mar 2017 01:07

andybeau wrote:
Gerhard M wrote:Sennheiser HD 598 no Amp
How do you find the 598s?
The 598's are available just about everywhere but Amazon has them at $155 which is the best price I have seen as I paid $210 for mine when they were just released.

They have a new all Black version called the HD 598 SE

Great headphones at the best price/performance ratio you will ever find!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Mar 2017 11:46

Tinkaroo wrote:I just bought these Selfix brand Made in Japan headphones, probably 1970s vintage.

The build quality looks pretty good, the sliders have been cleaned and solder joints checked.

Plus the nerdiness factor on the styling can't be beat on these! 8)
Selfix 1.JPG
Selfix 2.JPG
Selfix 3.JPG
Selfix 4.JPG
Just an update on these headphones.

They arrived in great shape and the earpads are very soft and comfortable. The guy did a great job on the tone and volume sliders since there is no static at all, just like the Steely Dan song FM goes.

I found them pretty comfortable to wear for several hours at a time and the tone and volume controls are nice for tailoring the sound to whatever the source. They also provide a nice detail and range for what they cost.

I remember having a quite similar headphone around the era(mid 1970s) that these were made, but in black and a make that I can't recall.

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 24 Mar 2017 03:28

In my main system I am using a pair of Stax Lambda Pros driven by a Stax SRM1 MkII estat driver. In my work system I am using a Schiit Lyr 2 headphone amp driving HiFi Man HE-400S planar magnetic headphones.

Ed

cdnduck

Post by cdnduck » 28 Mar 2017 02:48

Just thought I would give a quick update on my search for the perfect economic headphone amp......I decide to go with the Fiio Q1 after much research and consultantion with many forums. At a must, you should go to a headphone power calculator to determine what amp will work with your headphones. Once this is complete, then move to the question: portable or fixed. I gave this a lot of thought do to the possibility that today I want to use it for a computer hook up to my Mac, but tomorrow who knows. The soundstage has improved and I notice that the bass is tighter and much more....present. I'm north of 50 therefore it could just be me, but the sound all round is better. For $100 CDN, it is a small risk to take if it didn't work out, but I must state that it is an improvement in sound.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 28 Mar 2017 05:03

Glad you're enjoying your new amp :)

orangenut

Post by orangenut » 02 Apr 2017 07:19

AKG K712 and AKG K550 with Music Hall ph25.2 hybrid amp.

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 02 Apr 2017 18:00

Just picked up a pair of Shure SRH1540's

I love my 1840's but do find them a little empty at the bottom end on mainly rock records. I demo'd the 1540's a few months ago along with some Oppo PM3's and the Oppo's were excellent, but I was put off by the "made for mobile" aspect of them. The Shure's really are special, no bells or whistles, everything's gone into the hardware and it's got that lower end swell that I was hoping for as you'd expect for closed back vs the open backed 1840's.

I also managed to sweet talk the salesguy in my local pro-audio shop (best place in the world), and they agreed to take £80 off the price, so got them for a steal also.

I will still be using my 1840's especially for instrumental albums and classical records as the soundstage is stunning, but I'm hoping the 1540's will suit my rock and dance collection better.

It's been a good day! =D>
file.jpeg
(928.3099999999999 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 02 Apr 2017 18:25

Although headphones aren't my thing I keep some reasonable ones around. Currently I have HiFi Man HE-350's, Monoprice Monolith 560's and Grado SR-60i's. I can select between a Bravo V2 or a Nobsound NS-08E. I have a Little Dot MK2 on order. I'm looking forward to hearing an all tube headphone amp.

As for a soundstage? It seems to me that those who speak of hearing a soundstage from headphones either hear in a completely different way than I or we have radically different definitions and expectations as to what a soundstage is.

For me a soundstage is the audible impression of musicians performing "over there" where my speakers used to be. No headphones I've ever heard in 51+ years with this passion have ever produced any sort of soundstage. The sound comes from a straight line through the center of my head from one ear to the other. That by definition can't be a soundstage. Admittedly there are some recordings that sound more airy and open. They produce what I call a headstage. It, to my ears has no resemblance whatsoever to a soundstage.

IME Binaural recordings have a soundstage. However, they are few and far between and sound a little strange on speakers. With headphones they sound spooky real.

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 02 Apr 2017 21:52

JoeE SP9 wrote:Although headphones aren't my thing I keep some reasonable ones around. Currently I have HiFi Man HE-350's, Monoprice Monolith 560's and Grado SR-60i's. I can select between a Bravo V2 or a Nobsound NS-08E. I have a Little Dot MK2 on order. I'm looking forward to hearing an all tube headphone amp.

As for a soundstage? It seems to me that those who speak of hearing a soundstage from headphones either hear in a completely different way than I or we have radically different definitions and expectations as to what a soundstage is.

For me a soundstage is the audible impression of musicians performing "over there" where my speakers used to be. No headphones I've ever heard in 51+ years with this passion have ever produced any sort of soundstage. The sound comes from a straight line through the center of my head from one ear to the other. That by definition can't be a soundstage. Admittedly there are some recordings that sound more airy and open. They produce what I call a headstage. It, to my ears has no resemblance whatsoever to a soundstage.

IME Binaural recordings have a soundstage. However, they are few and far between and sound a little strange on speakers. With headphones they sound spooky real.
I get what you're saying and agree to a certain extent...

For me, I have a few albums that sound totally, radically different to most others. As one example, Justin Timberlakes 20/20 experience, it sounds incredibly 3d and I can visualise each part coming from different area's, I'm not sure if that's something I'm imagining or just a very well produced and pressed record, but it's immediately apparent throughout the whole record.

Like I say, it's only a few in my collection that have that quality, weather or not they're binaural as you say, I don't know but when I come across a record like that, that's when my cans really show their strengths.