What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Post Reply
Ottermel
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 718
Joined: 19 Mar 2012 20:42
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by Ottermel » 21 Dec 2016 18:02

Graham Slee-amp-solo-ul.jpg
(25.47 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Graham Slee Solo Ultra linear


Beyer Dynamic T1
Attachments
BD_T1.jpg
(103.4 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

andybeau
long player
long player
England
Posts: 3781
Joined: 06 Jun 2013 20:47
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by andybeau » 11 Feb 2017 01:48

Updated my headphones a few months ago, due to a mishap with my Soundmagics.

I'm now the proud owner of a pair of AKG K702s, acquired at a very good price too.

Well the sound is as would be expected and also, if not more importantly, they are comfortable.

These are great with music and also great with gaming and films (when SWMBO has gone to bed)

I also love their look 8)

I've just swapped amps around (Cyrus 6A now main) and I must admit the built in headphone amp of the Cyrus trumps the Music Fidelity VCan II.

m_neveux
member
member
Posts: 97
Joined: 27 Dec 2016 15:58
Location: Simi Valley, CA

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by m_neveux » 11 Feb 2017 03:10

I have the Sennheiser HD-600's and do not use a headphone amp. I plug them into my McIntosh Mac 1900 receiver and they sound fantastic.

andybeau
long player
long player
England
Posts: 3781
Joined: 06 Jun 2013 20:47
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by andybeau » 11 Feb 2017 03:13

m_neveux wrote:I have the Sennheiser HD-600's and do not use a headphone amp. I plug them into my McIntosh Mac 1900 receiver and they sound fantastic.
They look nice and with good reviews, how do you find them?

m_neveux
member
member
Posts: 97
Joined: 27 Dec 2016 15:58
Location: Simi Valley, CA

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by m_neveux » 11 Feb 2017 03:17

andybeau wrote:
m_neveux wrote:I have the Sennheiser HD-600's and do not use a headphone amp. I plug them into my McIntosh Mac 1900 receiver and they sound fantastic.
They look nice and with good reviews, how do you find them?
I like them a lot. Previously I had the HiFi Man HE-400i's and like the HD-600's better.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain
Posts: 2109
Joined: 01 May 2014 16:44
Location: Lancashire

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by Tonybro » 11 Feb 2017 08:02

I can't believe I've not jumped in to this thread already, Andy....

I have a pair of old 90s Sennheisers (560s if memory serves) and I can still get replacement foams for the ear cups from Sennheiser.

I carry in my laptop bag a pair of decent Shure in-ear buds for occasional use on the train.

Main set is a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 over-ear headphones and generally use these via a Meridian Explorer DAC/Headphone amp on my Surface Pro.

Almost pulled the trigger a few times on the new 50th Anniversary B&W P9s and may still do so!

andybeau
long player
long player
England
Posts: 3781
Joined: 06 Jun 2013 20:47
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by andybeau » 11 Feb 2017 20:24

Tonybro wrote:I can't believe I've not jumped in to this thread already, Andy....

I have a pair of old 90s Sennheisers (560s if memory serves) and I can still get replacement foams for the ear cups from Sennheiser.

I carry in my laptop bag a pair of decent Shure in-ear buds for occasional use on the train.

Main set is a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 over-ear headphones and generally use these via a Meridian Explorer DAC/Headphone amp on my Surface Pro.

Almost pulled the trigger a few times on the new 50th Anniversary B&W P9s and may still do so!
Those B&Ws look very nice :mrgreen:

add1ct3d to mus1c
member
member
Posts: 49
Joined: 15 Dec 2015 02:13

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by add1ct3d to mus1c » 14 Feb 2017 01:03

andybeau wrote:
add1ct3d to mus1c wrote:HD650,DT880 600R,Q701 + Pioneer SA7700,SX-3700(with speaker taps), Bottlehead CRACK and BH S.E.X.
Nice collection, which are your favourites?
ALL Of them :D i usually used HD650 with BH Crack BH S.E.X. and SX-3700,DT880 with BH Crack,BH S.E.X. and SA-7700,Q701 with BH S.E.X. SA-7700 and SX-3700.

fjdaigle
member
member
Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Dec 2009 15:47
Location: NOLA

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by fjdaigle » 14 Feb 2017 12:31

Woo Audio WA6
Shure SRH 1840's.

levman0545
member
member
Posts: 88
Joined: 12 Jan 2014 17:45

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by levman0545 » 20 Feb 2017 23:33

I'm using my Sennhiser HD 598's and love them. They are rated at 50 Ohms so can be driven by any decent headphone amp.

I just use the up-graded headphone amp in my Carver C-1 preamp that has been completely up-graded to the following specs. S.T.N.R. from 96 db to 114 db line( Aux 1&2, Tape 1&2, External Processor Loop and Tuner) The two phono stages have also been upgraded to unreal specs for both MM and MC stages)

T.H.D. has been reduced from .04% to .002%, and a remote control stepped volume control along with all new rear RCA inputs and outputs.

I also use a Schiit's Audio Mangi headphone amp with my self built full server tower computer that has a nice Asus Zonar PCI-Express amplified sound card added into the system with the built in Realtec audio being disabled.

I love the 598 Sennhiser headphones that come with a real TRS 1/4" input plug instead of the 1/8" that's taking over the headphone industry for some silly reason!

levman0545
member
member
Posts: 88
Joined: 12 Jan 2014 17:45

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by levman0545 » 20 Feb 2017 23:38

m_neveux wrote:
andybeau wrote:
m_neveux wrote:I have the Sennheiser HD-600's and do not use a headphone amp. I plug them into my McIntosh Mac 1900 receiver and they sound fantastic.
They look nice and with good reviews, how do you find them?
I like them a lot. Previously I had the HiFi Man HE-400i's and like the HD-600's better.
Your McIntosh receiver has it's own built in headphone amp already installed that does not use your receivers built in amplifier. So you are using a headphone amp of very good quality, similar to my Carver C-1 preamp's built in headphone amp that sounds fantastic!

Joe in Seattle
senior member
senior member
Posts: 296
Joined: 12 Apr 2012 16:45

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by Joe in Seattle » 21 Feb 2017 23:51

Sennheiser HD 650 & Musical Fidelity X Can V III. All stock, very happy.

fjdaigle
member
member
Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Dec 2009 15:47
Location: NOLA

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by fjdaigle » 28 Feb 2017 17:11

HP Stand.jpg
(102.36 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Woo WA6.a.jpg
(111.18 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

cdnduck
member
member
Posts: 44
Joined: 28 Aug 2016 12:00

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by cdnduck » 09 Mar 2017 01:35

Currently have the NAD VISO 50 but I find they hurt my ears after 40 minutes. Looking at the Denon AH-d5000 or MM400. Anyone have these and can offer any thoughts?

ammarmariti
senior member
senior member
Malaysia
Posts: 458
Joined: 04 Jan 2013 21:41

Re: What Headphones and Headphone Amp Are You Using

Post by ammarmariti » 09 Mar 2017 02:21

cdnduck wrote:Currently have the NAD VISO 50 but I find they hurt my ears after 40 minutes. Looking at the Denon AH-d5000 or MM400. Anyone have these and can offer any thoughts?
I don't have the D5000 but I've used them extensively for a few days. They are very comfortable but the clamping force might be too low for some people. You'll need to mind your head movement if you don't want them to fall off. The build quality and finish is impeccable, sound signature is a V with a bass emphasis, but not those cheap bass boost like the majority of consumer goods brand ones.
I've never had any experience with the MM400, they look a lot smaller than D5000. You might want the D5000 instead for the earcup size.

Post Reply