Big B5515
long player
long player

Re: A real radio drama!

Post by Big B5515 » 27 Jul 2019 05:19

Tinkaroo wrote:
09 Jul 2019 22:01

Looking good so far Big B! =D>

Looking forward to seeing the finished radio in all its glory.
From all but dumpster worthy state of nonfunctional Delco decay, to a bit more display worthy and once again ready for service.
IMG_2214.JPG
(53.48 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
IMG_2217.JPG
(66.17 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
And for a quick comparison of what I started with, and a reminder of the nightmare condition Philco project needing some TLC sitting next to it, which actually did still tune in a station upon initial evaluation.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... p?id=56319

While I didn't take as many photos of the condition I found it in as I should have, I originally gave a even $20 in hopes of maybe a good vintage speaker for the radio it's sitting on and seller included the working antique Eveready flashlight also shown on table in picture. While I last had the chromed version of this flashlight, there was also a black one like the one shown in this house when I was young, and both have since gone missing. While the knobs are temporarily borrowed from a possibly unrepairable Truetone I had sitting around, until I find a more appropriate set, I do think there is enough leftover grill cloth for my frequent player Fairbanks Morse underneath, if I'm careful. While finding the proper knobs could be a challenge, pricy, or require a lathe & creativity, I've yet to even put another $50 onto this ones resurrection so far. While I had decided to let well enough alone, after a coat of wax, I'm a little less than satisfied with my attempts to hide a fairly noticeable light spot with a reddish color above dial on right, by darkening. This spot was originally toned in with a lighter color to hide, and only became apparent after much of the old finish was rubbed down.

One little blunder and piece of advice, don't ever be tempted to apply any oil to a stiff potentiometer shaft of the type shown disassembled in picture below, or use contact cleaner on early radios without first investigating, I made this mistake, and it eventually ran down and caused the carbon and paper resistance track to stick to the wiper plate in this case and self destruct. Attempts to clean up this humming, squealing mess with Deoxit on a Q tip only removed more carbon, quickly leaving bare paper and infinite resistance . A tiny dab of grease on wiper and shaft after disassembly would have been the appropriate solution. While I found a inexpensive workable replacement, a quality 500K pot with a 2" length shaft and switch remains elusive. The audio taper on the ones I ordered from Antique Electronic Supply and extended the shaft on seem to be made backwards for volume control use, as the normal listing range is in the first 1\8 turn #-o Being this replacement pot only measured 1-5\8", my shaft extension solution on the cheap was a splint of brass tubing cut from a saved broken telescopic antenna, and a piece cut from the unthreaded part of a 1\4-20 bolt. JB weld epoxy was used to join two matching half round cut ends inside the short piece of brass tubing.
IMG_2221.JPG
(49.27 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Jul 2019 08:34

Big B...You're just a magician with these repairs!! =D> When the Delco is done, maybe that unrepairable Truetone should be in your sights next...How many radio projects would you say are still non-working? Are there any that you have slated for future repairs? By the way, have you ever done any work on the transistor models or is it mostly the larger tombstones and table radios that you've gotten into? :-k

As always, keep us posted on your latest progress...It's great to see these classics coming to life again! :D

And I still think that maybe one day, the right German radio will come into your hands...Graetz, Grundig, Nordmende and Saba are good names to look at... :)

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 28 Jul 2019 19:52

Actually, the Truetone and the Freed Eisemann remain the only radios I have not yet tuned in a station on, but a few others like the 1929 Victor, NRI correspondence course kit radio, and RCA short wave portable remain unrestored. Several others have small issues such as needing a better sounding, or reconed speaker, a damaged built in antenna coil that would no longer peak properly, IF transformers with silver mica disease, cosmetic issues, and so on still needing attention. I do sometimes get into minor issues with transistor radios as well, and have been meaning to get back into a 1960 4 band Lafayette I frequently listen to short wave on in the bathroom. While replacing it's electrolytic capacitors a few years back corrected many of it's issues, it is also in need of a new volume control, along with probably the Delco I just finished once I find a better replacement, both radios now have the entire comfortable listening range in a touchy location very close to the off position. I do still have that Grundig from a couple years back which had some service before I acquired it, and still works well on FM, but I may have to look into issues with the other 2 bands, maybe another case of silver mica disease.

The Truetone and Philco cathedral still remain the worst in need of attention, while both have rusted chassis, the Philco remains original, but the Truetone appears to have been worked on and refinished in polyurethane by someone who obviously didn't know what they were doing, has missing & damaged parts, incorrectly connected wiring, and had little service info with only a poor quality schematic available last time I checked. On the other hand, the extensive water damage to the Philco's cabinet & expected moisture affected resistors, and it's speaker badly in need of a new cone & surround make this project a bit intimidating. As this radio was from a 3 item package deal , a newer Philco console I never mentioned with incorrect record changer and weak reception remains in garage, fortunately the third item, a 1984 Chevy truck I promptly fixed is still running 2 years later to justify this $450 expense, but is once again getting almost as ugly as the radio after a few more dents from a mishap in a friend's driveway last winter.