A real radio drama!

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Big B5515
long player
long player

Re: A real radio drama!

Post by Big B5515 » 28 Feb 2017 05:37

Coffee Phil wrote:Hi Big B,

It looks Good! From what I can see it the picture, I'd leave it rather than re-finish it.

Bummer about the band switch. If there was a prohibition on having a working shortwave receiver during WW2 I didn't know about it. We had the Wards Airline right in our living room working. We rarely if ever used the shortwave bands but they did work. We lived in the East SF Bay area (Albany) and my dad was a civil defence volunteer. We had periodic drills where we had to turn off all of our lights. He would walk the street checking for compliance. We had a lighted address number on the front of our house. Early in the war someone buggered the light bulb in the socket so as to make it difficult to replace. I was too young to remember that but I do remember my dad having to clear out the remains of the smashed bulb after the war was over to install a new one.

I was thinking that maybe the band switching can be restored with a bunch of tiny relays and a simple rotary switch to control the relays. It may actually be more RF sanitary.

Phil
The cabinet appears to have been cleaned up in the past and given some kind of clear coat, but again needs a few spots touched up, and some loose veneer on one bottom corner glued down. Otherwise, I think it just needs some furniture polish, and maybe a coat of wax. Relays may be a possibility for restoring short wave, for that matter the innermost switch wafer may be able to be straightened out and repaired (I already partially straightened contacts), leaving the center one having only 4 wires to deal with. The front wafer for oscillator is undamaged. I am hoping to find a switch or parts chassis, and just replace these 2 wafers, as switch assembly is held to together with 2 bolts. If I can't find a proper volume pot, I'm probably going to have to modify something as finding a comfortable volume level and tone is a challenge. Unless playing very loud, it tends to be either painfully bright, and\or boomy & thunderous with the bass, and often muffled or lacking something using tone switches at some volume positions. I did see a chassis on eBay, but with shipping, for much more than I'm looking to spend on another of unknown condition.
Big B5515 wrote:A few weeks ago, I finally got around to looking at that Zenith 10-S-567 standing radio I picked up, and was greeted by a band switch with 2 damaged wafers, one missing its center commuter and both hardwired for AM.......
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
[/quote]

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 11 Mar 2017 03:39

A little progress made with the radios finding parts, and a couple packages should be on the way. After placing a couple classifieds on another forum, I located a parts chassis for the Zenith, as well as someone willing to disassemble it and ship me the parts. I can now hopefully repair the band switch and have an original volume pot, as well as finding the "steering wheel" band knob and a missing chassis spring & bolt. I also found & ordered a affordable power transformer for a Fender "Champ" amp the right specs & size for the extra Fairbanks Morse chassis I wanted to refurbish.

About a week back, it was snowing, so I decided to take a compact, non working $2 Emerson 547A off the shelf. The plastic case has a crack on underside, but otherwise polished up beautifully. The wax had melted from all the old capacitors which were shot, and output tube & it's cathode resistor were bad. It then worked but sounded like a cheap bullhorn, painful to the ears in the midrange. Hiding behind a protective speaker baffle were tears and a badly warped cone surround that had come unglued. Soaking outer part of cone with water allowed me to straighten surround pleat sufficiently to alleviate bind, and coffee filter paper & thinned elmers glue patched the cracks nicely. Fortunately, no silver mica disease, and after alignment, is one of my best working AA5s so far, and even has a external antenna input & ground connection. One word of warning, this model radio has line connected chassis and exposed screws on bottom and back, switch should be rewired and polarized power cord installed for (some) safety.

And as an added feature, most of the radio glows in the dark, except behind the dial numbers.
IMG_1872.JPG
(88.59999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Mar 2017 04:59

Big B! That one is super cool! Do you have a lot of the plastic and bakelite radios? The wooden ones are awesome, but every once in a while, it is nice to see the portable ones and the plastic ones...So many space-age designs during the 50's and 60's, as well...That Emerson's really a gem, too! 8)

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 11 Mar 2017 05:45

I now have 9 plastic or Bakelite tube radios, but this is the first translucent, lighted one so far. This Emerson model is supposedly made before 1949, and has no safety provisions to prevent shock hazard. It also may have had a few hairline cracks beginning, however they just about disappeared with polishing. I suspect from the melted wax capacitors that it was stored in an attic, or other hot location for a while. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/651/M0004651.htm

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 15 Mar 2017 03:49

This package of parts arrived yesterday for the Zenith 10-S-567, about everything worth saving from a 10A1 parts chassis the seller was kind enough to carefully disassemble and pack in a flat rate box for reasonable shipping. I should now have everything and then some to restore all bands, proper volume contour, as well as the band selector knob & 1 chassis spring that was missing. I figure I'll stash the extra set of coils, etc. inside cabinet should one ever be needed for a future repair.
IMG_1874.JPG
(208.28 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
With some careful work and a little luck, I'm now hoping for a successful and proper repair. Now if I could just stay awake long enough to work on it :tired: .

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 16 Mar 2017 12:12

Band switch repair is a success, I now have reception on all bands. The presets are also working, and tone is improved with correct volume pot. I also got the loose veneer glued down, sides still look a little uneven, but furniture polish, a touch up marker, and a coat of finishing wax hid many of the defects and flaking finish around bottom trim. I still need to do an alignment, as reception seems a bit weak, actually strongest with the presets, hopefully then I can call it fixed, a few after pictures;
IMG_1878.JPG
(207.83 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
IMG_1875.JPG
(262.21 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 17 Mar 2017 17:59

Hi Big B,

I'm glad you got all the bands working. Sad that another Zenith had to die for it.

Oh Well, I keep my old BMW e46 going by scavenging carcasses of other BMWs at the junkyard.

Phil
Big B5515 wrote:Band switch repair is a success, I now have reception on all bands. The presets are also working, and tone is improved with correct volume pot. I also got the loose veneer glued down, sides still look a little uneven, but furniture polish, a touch up marker, and a coat of finishing wax hid many of the defects and flaking finish around bottom trim. I still need to do an alignment, as reception seems a bit weak, actually strongest with the presets, hopefully then I can call it fixed, a few after pictures;
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 18 Mar 2017 07:20

Fortunately, not too much died with the donor chassis that was worth restoring, it had a bad power transformer, was very badly corroded, and several parts had already been removed. When seller sent a picture of chassis lacking tubes, shields, dial and looking very green, rusty, & crusty, I at first wondered if it had washed up on the beach. Seller was willing to disassemble & ready to throw it away, and for $35 + postage including knob, asked if I wanted anything else. I mentioned throwing in the coils, IFs, and anything else worth saving if not to difficult to remove. I thought maybe the unexpected tuning capacitor could be used as part of an antenna tuner, but cleaning it of the corrosion might be a challenge. All the remaining spare parts (except flywheel & tuner) were repacked in a smaller box that fits beside chassis in radio.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 24 Mar 2017 03:48

I hope I'm not boring everyone to death with these radio projects, but thought I'd post another, a somewhat interesting later 40s looking, and still unknown model (missing label) GE clock radio I cleaned up & serviced last night. It was apparent that it was well used from darkening around clock motor, and darkened tube sockets under 7 pin rectifier and output tubes. All tubes were original GEs, and the previously mentioned 2 both checked leaky\shorted, however all but one of the original wax capacitors and input half of electrolytic I replaced were still in tolerance. The clock did not run at first, but after trying a suggestion of heating sealed motor cartridge in oven to 180 degrees, then applying sewing machine oil to drive gear while it cooled (twice) restored it to fairly quiet operation. the cabinet also appears to be made of translucent plastic, but has no lighting. It has a few scratches and slight warp above AF amp tube, but otherwise has a nice looking, uncracked case. I did also have to resort to the same speaker cone repair on this one as the previous Emerson to remedy a warped, stiff paper surround, which began to crack.
IMG_1887.JPG
(217.55 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
IMG_1889.JPG
(193.56 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 24 Mar 2017 04:51

Hi Big B,

Glad you could get that motor cartridge working again. I know I replaced the one in my Sentinel clock radio in the late '60s. They were just a few dollars at the electronics supply stores then. I'm not even sure that you can get one now. When I dig out that radio to restore it I may have to do as you did.

Phil
Big B5515 wrote:I hope I'm not boring everyone to death with these radio projects, but thought I'd post another, a somewhat interesting later 40s looking, and still unknown model (missing label) GE clock radio I cleaned up & serviced last night. It was apparent that it was well used from darkening around clock motor, and darkened tube sockets under 7 pin rectifier and output tubes. All tubes were original GEs, and the previously mentioned 2 both checked leaky\shorted, however all but one of the original wax capacitors and input half of electrolytic I replaced were still in tolerance. The clock did not run at first, but after trying a suggestion of heating sealed motor cartridge in oven to 180 degrees, then applying sewing machine oil to drive gear while it cooled (twice) restored it to fairly quiet operation. the cabinet also appears to be made of translucent plastic, but has no lighting. It has a few scratches and slight warp above AF amp tube, but otherwise has a nice looking, uncracked case. I did also have to resort to the same speaker cone repair on this one as the previous Emerson to remedy a warped, stiff paper surround, which began to crack.
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 24 Apr 2017 10:34

I again made it to a vintage radio meet, the tri state radio fest near Pittsburgh. While I didn't see any quality audio components at a price I couldn't resist, I was a little tempted by a Nachamichi 2 head cassette deck, and a couple DD turntables, Pioneer PL-400 in box, and a P-mount Technics. I did, however fill a few spots in my radio collection with 3 nice looking radios. First, the battery sets, something older and something newer;
The Zenith D7000Y works, but may need some servicing, and alignment touch up on a couple SW bands. It works on all bands, but dial is slightly off on some, also has speaker rattle, and is missing power cord. The price was right, and it's in fairly nice cosmetic condition. The Freed Eisemann is nicely restored by previous owner, and has new coupling transformers. I will have to do some research on appropriate speaker (I have headphones) and improvise a power source to test it. A previous list of stations says its top frequency was just over 1200khz. At $50, I decided it was worth buying, even if just for looks.

As I am still lacking on sets with FM, I decided to fill one void with something made in Germany, this Grundig 2035.
It supposedly had capacitors replaced, and does work, but after a peek inside, I think some were overlooked and there is more work that needs to be done in near future. Not exactly pristine, but hopefully, I can fix it up a little.

And last, but not least, some other accessories in hammertone grey.
IMG_1921.JPG
(171.62 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
A couple RCA VTVMs and a Eric FM tuner, $20 for all.

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 25 Apr 2017 06:44

I have a magazine from 1959 with this Philips ad:
philips59.jpg
(771.4299999999999 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
The 584A is a hifi model with 9 tubes, two speakers and a Bi-Hi-Z sound, whatever that means. The cheaper models have 6 or 7 tubes. The 585A has 9 tubes, Bi-Hi-Z and a built in 4 speed record player.

The 584A cost 45.000 marks which in 1959 valued about 1.000 euros of today's money.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Apr 2017 06:57

Great finds there, Big B! With a little work, I'm sure they will all clean up in no time! You didn't find THEM...THEY found YOU! :wink:

I can't wait to see them working again! =P~

By the way, I didn't notice the GE clock radio before...That one is also quite stunning in red! 8)

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 12 Feb 2019 06:52

Just to keep this vintage radio & radio project picture thread from dying, I'll add a picture of a couple basket case radios that came my way since my last post, still mostly as found. I was able to tune in a station on the Philco cathedral after temporarily tacking in new filter capacitors and freeing up tuner, however the Delco tombstone is missing it's knobs, many capacitors, and a couple tubes. Both passed the power transformer test, but these two look about as glum as I've been feeling at times lately, will they ever sing and be presentable again??
IMG_2023.JPG
(69.06999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
To be continued?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Feb 2019 17:37

To paraphrase Smokey the Bear, only YOU can prevent...Delco decay! :lol: A couple of the attendees at my Vintage Expo found a tombstone Detrola with a larger round dial, but in much better shape...A good restoration project for them...You can see it here on Terry's video at 1:02:02...

I'll bet you could find knobs for that one, too...There was a guy who sells reproduction parts in that video, for instance...You can find him at renovatedradios.com...

http://www.renovatedradios.com/

I'll bet that the cabinet on that one would clean up nicely, too, even if you had Bruce do it again...It looks so lovely! The Philco has that classic old radio look and would certainly clean up very nicely, as well...Imagine playing some "Great Gildersleeve" episodes or old "Inner Sanctum" stuff through it? Theatre of the mind, my friends! :D By the way, in that video, did you see the Victor at 54:18? :-k Remind you of something, B? :-k