From all but dumpster worthy state of nonfunctional Delco decay, to a bit more display worthy and once again ready for service.
And for a quick comparison of what I started with, and a reminder of the nightmare condition Philco project needing some TLC sitting next to it, which actually did still tune in a station upon initial evaluation.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... p?id=56319
While I didn't take as many photos of the condition I found it in as I should have, I originally gave a even $20 in hopes of maybe a good vintage speaker for the radio it's sitting on and seller included the working antique Eveready flashlight also shown on table in picture. While I last had the chromed version of this flashlight, there was also a black one like the one shown in this house when I was young, and both have since gone missing. While the knobs are temporarily borrowed from a possibly unrepairable Truetone I had sitting around, until I find a more appropriate set, I do think there is enough leftover grill cloth for my frequent player Fairbanks Morse underneath, if I'm careful. While finding the proper knobs could be a challenge, pricy, or require a lathe & creativity, I've yet to even put another $50 onto this ones resurrection so far. While I had decided to let well enough alone, after a coat of wax, I'm a little less than satisfied with my attempts to hide a fairly noticeable light spot with a reddish color above dial on right, by darkening. This spot was originally toned in with a lighter color to hide, and only became apparent after much of the old finish was rubbed down.
One little blunder and piece of advice, don't ever be tempted to apply any oil to a stiff potentiometer shaft of the type shown disassembled in picture below, or use contact cleaner on early radios without first investigating, I made this mistake, and it eventually ran down and caused the carbon and paper resistance track to stick to the wiper plate in this case and self destruct. Attempts to clean up this humming, squealing mess with Deoxit on a Q tip only removed more carbon, quickly leaving bare paper and infinite resistance . A tiny dab of grease on wiper and shaft after disassembly would have been the appropriate solution. While I found a inexpensive workable replacement, a quality 500K pot with a 2" length shaft and switch remains elusive. The audio taper on the ones I ordered from Antique Electronic Supply and extended the shaft on seem to be made backwards for volume control use, as the normal listing range is in the first 1\8 turn #-o Being this replacement pot only measured 1-5\8", my shaft extension solution on the cheap was a splint of brass tubing cut from a saved broken telescopic antenna, and a piece cut from the unthreaded part of a 1\4-20 bolt. JB weld epoxy was used to join two matching half round cut ends inside the short piece of brass tubing.