Grüßgott to all of you,

This is mainly addressed to those of you who, next to your
primary source, a turntable of course, also enjoy the ease
of just tuning in to radio (via cable, aerial or satellite) and
letting whatever music plays flow while busy doing whatever was
on the daily duty list. As far as I can make out that subject has
not been debated here yet.

Since moving into my new apartment I have cable (TV/Radio),
and the pleasure of listening to our local classical station, Bavaria 4.
The quality to me is amazingly good, altough they (B4) told me it is
99% CD or digital tape. But then there are those live Munich concerts
at night, overwhelming stuff: opera, symphony or chamber music
which leads me to enjoy composers I never even had heard about

Receiver is a Revox B something or other, loudspeakers a pair of
German Magnat Mini-Monitors (have to consider the neighbors!)

Anyone on this particular wavelength?

Best rgrds/delcam1n0

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 03 Nov 2006 20:28

delcam1no,
Good FM stereo is a marvelous tool to expand one's relation with the universe. Although I listen to FM infrequently, I have had very good experiences with it, similar to yours. Highly recommended.
bauzace50

gleichnerr

Post by gleichnerr » 03 Nov 2006 21:42

I'm with you, compadres --

When I just want some background music, I like to flip on the ol' tuner.

That's one of the things I like about my NAD integrated amp - it's got what I think is a really decent tuner - locks onto them stations like a pit bull!.

If you really want to have some fun with your FM setup, get a decent antenna. When I lived with my parents, I had an omnidirectional "folded dipole" antenna (two aluminum "squashed loops" set at right angles to eachother). On some nights, I was able to pull in stations that were considerable distances away, which added even greater variety. The whole setup was about $35 US, and I put it in the attic and fished the wire down through the wall to a jack plate (of course, I found the one spot on that dang wall where the studs were only about 4-inches apart - my dad would've screamed if he saw the row of holes that I drilled in the attic :wink: ).

In my college days, a buddy had a basic but solid Harmon-Kardon analog tuner. It had a nice gyro-effect (you could spin it with your fingertips and "laundh" the needle 2/3 of the way across the dial). And the face would change from green to amber when it was locked on to a station. We were on the 12th story of a building, where lots of stations with nearly identical frequencies would interfere with eachother on "cheapo" tuners -- his could pick 'em out and hold them like a sharpshooter.

Happy listening y'all

rhmbus
England

Post by rhmbus » 04 Nov 2006 01:22

a reasonable tuner is a must for me . the one i am using now was made by the Edinburgh wireless co it sounds terrific,look forward to radio 2 saturday morning at 8 am give it a try
ray

Brian C.

Post by Brian C. » 04 Nov 2006 15:00

I use a c.1957 Troughline (mono of course) on a daily basis, permanently tuned to Radio 3

https://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i83/ ... line1s.jpg

This isn't mine if you're wondering why the cursor is not on 91.3 Mc/s...oops, MHz ;)

Brian

LPspinner

Post by LPspinner » 04 Nov 2006 21:17

Hi there Guys….

FM really is the underdog of the HiFi scene but there is lots of truly excellent programming available if you look for it. Commercial pop stations compress the heck out of the music and it’s sound just plain awful so I can’t remember the last time I tuned into commercial radio but there are alternatives.

Here in Australia we are blessed with a reasonably financed publicly funded National broadcaster, the ABC (Our very own antipodean version of the BBC). Amongst the obligations in its charter is to sponsor new artists and provide a forum for new “Classical” music. So the Opportunity for listening to Live to air broadcasts is endless and a wide ranging. Just about every night there is the “In Performance” broadcast and this is ether a recent concert or a live to air broad cast. The quality of the live to air broadcast is usually outstanding and if you are lucky enough to own a good tuner with a good aerial it can be a truly magical experience.

The ABC also has many reciprocal arrangements with many European and American broadcasters and this allows them to air a wide range concerts and a lot of music that is just not commercially available. Many of these are recording done at the major music Festivals. We also have a few good subscriber based non-commercial stations which do some outstanding work in presenting the less catered for areas such as Jazz, Blues, World-music as well as Classical music programming.

For me, the Stereo would not be complete without the inclusion of a good quality FM tuner and I would have to say it is probably the principal program source. Even of an evening when I just want to listen to some music I would pull out the radio guide and see what’s on before thumbing my way through the LP or CD rack.

Long Live FM radio

car67

Post by car67 » 04 Nov 2006 23:10

absolutely on the same wavelength!

A plug too for PBS FM (106.7) for excellent reggae, soul, jazz and all sorts of other stuff that the commercial stations won't play.

Love the Sansui tuners.:)

Yes long live FM (analogue)!

cheers
Jack

boromike

Who's for Stereo FM ?

Post by boromike » 05 Nov 2006 05:40

Up here in NE Ontario we can only receive two FM stations.Must be all the trees around here.In Ottawa(an hour away) I can pick up 25 stations in the car!

Mike

unkouth

Post by unkouth » 05 Nov 2006 09:40

Anyone on this particular wavelength?
Oh most definately :) It's the most used 'source' after my TT :)
Good FM stereo is a marvelous tool to expand one's relation with the universe.
Sure is :) I listen to [the world famous] Radio Hauraki (the 'pirate' station which fought and won the battle against state controlled airwaves here in NZ) and they are a pre-dominately rock station (real rock, ie Def Lep, Deep Purple etc) who play a broad range of artists of which I have hunted out and and expanded my collection of vinyl with :)

DCE

Post by DCE » 06 Nov 2006 05:57

I have two "classic" tuners that I use quite a bit. A Pioneer TX-9500 in a wood case and a Yamaha CT-810. Both are hooked up to their own dedicated ariels. The ariels are positioned for best reception of low power Classical (two wonderful stations) and Jazz. A good quality FM signal is a very satisfying listening experience on a good tuner. Especially for those times when I am too lazy to put on a LP :D

gleichnerr

Post by gleichnerr » 07 Nov 2006 01:39

For optimum reception, you should go with a dedicated FM antenna. If you already have an aerial/tower/mast, you could probably tack one below your television/other aerial.

Check out the following link:

http://www.winegard.com/offair/fm.htm

I don't know if you can find one of these in the UK, but I can personally vouch for the PR-6010. This is the one that I had suspended in my parent's attic. It's made of aluminum (only weighs about 3 kg), and comes folded and is simple to set up, so shipping probably wouldn't be all that pricey. It is dedicated for FM, and is omni-directional (picks up relatively equally from all points around without need for rotation controls).

If the stations that you desire are all located at somewhat of the same direction from your digs, the more directional model would work.

Don't know about current pricing, but in 1980's, the equivalent to the 6010 was only about 30 bucks US.

Hope this is useful.

delcam1n0
long player
long player

Aerials for FM

Post by delcam1n0 » 07 Nov 2006 08:55

JJC,

Haven't been to the UK for ages so this is as much a
request for info as a try to help.

Havent you got an indoor aerial connection (FM/TV)
like we do here? No more aerials on masts, by DE law?
This the cable companies input, Just a simple 75ohm
cable to the tuner(s) shld do the trick.

Second: You live in the Greater London area: Careful
that an outdoor aerial - if needed - will not overload the
input of your tuners! BBC etc. etc. are just down the
road after alll...Wroxham?

Check eBay.uk Consumer Electronics: Found two or three
possibles there (Around the GBP 20 mark)Alternatively
a stroll thru Tottenham Court Rd. may well bring the desired.

Rgrds/delcam1n0

rhmbus
England

Post by rhmbus » 07 Nov 2006 09:31

wrotham pronounced root ham just over the river in northern france(east end joke) is where the transmitter is . A loft or roof aerial is your best bet .mind you a piece of wet string serves where i live. the only legislation iam aware of is mast height and conservation areas although most blocks of flats have a communial feed(dry string) imay be wrong here but iam shure someone will put me right!!
ray

delcam1n0
long player
long player

FM Aerial

Post by delcam1n0 » 07 Nov 2006 10:21

Try Scantec Radio TV and Satellite aerials
in GB

This looked suitable:

Antiferenc FM 1080 Omni Directional
FM 88-108Mhz
Price: £9.88 Product Code: 1150

Family_Dog

Re: Radio days

Post by Family_Dog » 11 Nov 2006 20:34

JJCharles wrote:Hi Delcam,

Its the 15 year old nuisance here! You've hit on a point and I am going to take you way back to 1974 when I was a little girl and would go to sleep listening to the radio. It was a a big rectangular South African made one in a leather case. Oh boy, such programs as Friday night is music night - I would imagine dancing with the boy of my dreams. >> SNIP <<.
I wonder if this is not the Barlow-Wadley receiver? Quite a fancy one for its time, featuring full band coverage (550kHz to 30MHz) without any switching. Some of these, but not all models, featured an add-on FM section as well. I have one of these, great for playing around with.

Refer: http://www.barlowwadley.it/about.htm

-F_D