Mapleshade Samson Turntable Stand

radio, tape, stands and accessories
kevinrivers

Mapleshade Samson Turntable Stand

Post by kevinrivers » 16 Jul 2014 19:52

Hello!

Does anyone here own one of these stands? I am recently joined the vinyl adventure and am looking for a suitable stand to house my player, records, etc.

Just wanted to get some feedback from owners.

Thanks!

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Mapleshade Samson Turntable Stand

Post by rewfew » 20 Jul 2014 17:14

If you want to spend the bucks on that stuff, well, their merchandise is long on promise but dubious for me to take any notice. That design is a fairly well used DIY type of construction. Maybe get some nice cutting boards and threaded rod and do it you-r-self.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 20 Jul 2014 19:07

If you have any DIY skills or desire check out the DIY projects from http://www.tnt-audio.com

I've built and use a dual Flexy rack and a SandBlaster ( TT isolation table). The Sandblaster is sitting on one side of my Flexy. I use spikes from Salamander (archetype racks) to couple my rack to the floor. Salamander Archetype racks are virtually identical to the Flexy except for cost.

fjdaigle

Post by fjdaigle » 22 Jul 2014 04:12

For some unknown reason, MapleShade has been sending me their catalogs for years. I never buy anything from them as a good bit of it looks like wooden cutting boards that you could pick up elsewhere for a fraction of the price. Other products in their catalog just strikes me a hokum. :-s

JMHO, but you could spend your money much more prudently by looking elsewhere.

jake

Post by jake » 22 Jul 2014 19:12

Poster was asking if anyone had direct experience with the stand.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Jul 2014 20:04

The only difference between the Mapleshade and a DIY rack is the cost! Having gone the DIY route I felt that qualified me to comment.

Trius
Canada

Post by Trius » 14 Aug 2019 23:49

JoeE SP9 wrote:
24 Jul 2014 20:04
The only difference between the Mapleshade and a DIY rack is the cost! Having gone the DIY route I felt that qualified me to comment.
Very old thread, but... have you (or anyone) priced AIR DRIED maple in those sizes/thicknesses? I have. It’s not cheap stuff, nor easily available, especially the thicker pieces.

I am NOT endorsing Mapleshade’s claims for air dried maple versus kiln dried, nor their claims for their isolation feet and cones. However, the cost of their maple stock versus what you can buy at even a speciality supplier of fine woods is a differentiator with regards to costs.

My local hi-fi retailer has one horror story of a customer who ordered a Mapleshade product and was not pleased at all - and IIRC the customer service follow up was “not helpful.”

All that said, I would love to know what is the scientific basis for their claims that air dried maple is the best material for draining resonances, and brass cones are best for achieving decoupling.

Inquiring minds, and all that.

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 15 Aug 2019 00:34

I have been a cabinet maker for over 40 years. Air dried and kiln dried are the same outcome. And the wood looks, feels and works the same. Kiln drying allows a more controlled rate of evaporation then just letting the wood sit and dry on stickers. There is less checking and splitting with kiln drying. Its usually done with steam injection to control the core evaporation better and control the shrinkage of the wood fibers. With air drying the outer layer dries quicker and draws the moisture out of the core. The drying method does nothing to the characteristics of the wood itself.
1 1/2" Thick maple counter tops are not cheap anymore. But wood is not cheap anymore. I will share a secret. Go to Ikea . They sell 1 1/8" thick beech and Oak counter tops really cheap They sell an Island top also. Second place for lower cost tops is Lumber Liquidators.
I still remember buying tops directly from Boo's Brothers. You can buy their product still, but they are pricey. They go from 1 1/2" to 6" I think. Even Thicker
Mike M