Best way to pack 400 albums [moving overseas]

radio, tape, stands and accessories
annunaki

Best way to pack 400 albums [moving overseas]

Post by annunaki » 07 Jan 2012 10:41

We're set to move from Tokyo to Savannah, Georgia in about 5 months. I've got about 400 albums and wonder what is the best way to have them packed in our household goods shipment. Any recommendations?

sjam

Re: Best way to pack 400 albums [moving overseas]

Post by sjam » 07 Jan 2012 11:58

Hi Annunaki,

As I used to work for a firm that exported records in the seventies by air transport, I have some advice for you. We' used to pack the records in firm card boxes about 50lp's in one box. leave no empty room, fill it up with pieces of cardboard until there's no room left. Then close & reinforce the box with 2 inch wide tape. Make sure the corners are strong enough. You will need 8 boxes and if your records are shipped by sea container, the small boxes can be re packed in 2 big boxes that hold the small ones. Also make sure they're packed tight so there is no room for the boxes to bounce around. Then close & reinforce with tape. Make sure you write the forward address on each box. As transport is always a risk, think about insurance. Sam

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 07 Jan 2012 12:07

I move from the UK to Aus 8 years ago so I have been there but with even more albums. The best way is to use an agent to transpost all yor stuff. Shop around as there will be a few in the yellow. The one I used supplies boxes of various sizes even specials ones for records and you packk them yourself at home marking on the box what is inside and you are given a list which you fill in giving a detailed description. The boxes if I remember correctly can not be over 30kgs?? Not sure but they will tell you. The boxes were collected and delivered either to a storage in Aus or your home adress in your new country. If I can give ant advice years later is dont be mean with yourself. TAKE WHAT YOU WANT AS YOU WILL REGRET IT LATER. It is easy to say " I will get this or that again", but the transport does not cost that much and life in a new place is easier in the long run with YOUR STUFF. I love my new life here, but I wish someone had drummed this into me, fortunatly I took all my hifi and records..
Good luck
CL
If you want any other info PM me and I will help all I can

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 08 Jan 2012 03:59

U-Haul small size boxes seem to be perfectly sized to hold 12" LPs upright on edge. Each box will hold approximately 100+ LPs. 4 boxes should hold your entire collection.

For a picture and dimensions:

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Box ... Moving-Box

I've used these to cart my collection NY-->TX-->CA-->CT without damage to any of my LPs. Just make sure to pack tightly, so there is no movement / loose area within the boxes. Small is perfect as anything bigger would make the weight unwieldy.

Good luck on your overseas move.

Fred and wondering if you have an iPod with all of your music as you will be 1 mo? with no vinyl sounds..... :shock:

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 08 Jan 2012 06:12

I have been using boxes from Uline, an industrial packaging company. I get 13x13x13 inch double-wall boxes, because I am folding the top flaps in. This size would give you a bit of clearance to slide some thin styrofoam into all sides, for more protection.
One of these at a time is enough to handle.

Cheers,
Alec

annunaki

Post by annunaki » 03 Mar 2012 23:44

Thank you all for the really great advice! I have a shipping company that is arriving at the house, boxing everything up, then putting it all into sealed wooden crates for overseas transport. I found proper record boxes as recommended by sjam. The Tokyo record recycle store Disk Union has new boxes for really low prices. I'll pack them up according to recommendations.

We are now moving north of Dallas, Tx. Savannah is just not going to work for us. Maybe there'll be a little bit of vinyl culture there...I hope.

audiojan

Post by audiojan » 03 Apr 2012 14:22

Just a word of advise... make sure the shipping company seal the boxes... if not, they technically didn't pack the boxes, hence their insurance won't cover it. If they tape the boxes shut, then they are responsible.

Yes, done a couple of overseas moves (work) so I've learn the hard way.

awkwardbydesign

Post by awkwardbydesign » 03 Apr 2012 19:43

How are you going store the records at the new address? When I moved house I measured the space where I wanted the new shelves (the space above my head going upstairs) and made 4 boxes from 18mm MDF (ply would have been stronger) approx. 800 x 400 x 400mm with a central divider, to carry 700+ albums. I screwed 10mm MDF lids onto them for shipping, and used them as the record shelves across the stairway, fixed to the walls either side. The size depends on the final space, but not too long or they will be too weak. If you want to use them in your living room, fix them together side by side, or on top of each other, but I have no space for that. 21159

JGTokyo
United States of America

Post by JGTokyo » 24 May 2019 07:33

OP, I have the exact same issue... How did the Disk Union boxes work out for you? I'm assuming these are the heavy ones with the lid, similar to the office file boxes?

Did you ship these by sea or air? I'm a bit concerned about shipping these in the summer.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 26 May 2019 19:22

Alec124c41 wrote:
08 Jan 2012 06:12
I have been using boxes from Uline, an industrial packaging company. I get 13x13x13 inch double-wall boxes, because I am folding the top flaps in. This size would give you a bit of clearance to slide some thin styrofoam into all sides, for more protection.
One of these at a time is enough to handle.

Cheers,
Alec
I have moved records from Europe to the US (and back) a couple times. This is what I always did. It works VERY well.
Most of the time, I would just use other pieces of cardboard to fill the boxes. What has been mentioned before about leaving NO ROOM is absolutely true.

You need to leave it under 25kilos as this is typically the most allowed for a single person lift.

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 18 Jun 2019 13:47

If you are in the UK then seek out "Really Useful Boxes" - specifically the 35XL or 35XXL. They hold about 100 LPs perfectly and are very strong. They can also be tied shut with zip ties etc. I bought 50 in anticipation of a future move to Sydney - Rymans had a special offer on and I had the loft space.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/u ... itreXL.php

(The XXL just allowed for taller dividers)