What equipment have you bought this week?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
westhuller

Re: What equipment have you bought this week?

Post by westhuller » 06 May 2012 14:36

Michell Rega record clamp

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 08 May 2012 22:25

An Oracle Delphi MkII.

Decided to come out and offer support to our Canadian contingency

kramer
Great Britain

Post by kramer » 12 May 2012 20:02

Hi all

Have severely p***d off my other half, just taken deliverly of a Sony TC KE400S cassette deck from Ebay for £20.

I have been following the thread on the vinyl paradox etc and I think the sentiment expressed in it also apply to cassette's.

It should not make any sense whatsoever, but I am sitting here listening to my collection of dusty tapes, with a big grin on my face.... must be the analogue effect!

Anyone else listening their old tape collection here?

Squiffything

Post by Squiffything » 13 May 2012 10:27

I haven't got an amp to play the TT project through so I have been on the lookout for something. It had to be cheep as the funds do not permit buying new or expensive (the Wife says the kids have to eat before I get to play records pfft they are always going on about how they want to go on a diet so I look at it as a way of helping but she just doesn't seem to agree :) )

Anyhoo on Friday I picked up this lot for £75

https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103 ... 60_121.jpg

https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103 ... 60_121.jpg

Yamaha DSP A592 Amp
Sony Dual Layer SACD DVD CD Player
A Pair of 100W KEF Cresta 2 Speakers
A pair of Pioneer rear speakers
A Celestron center speaker

The sun was out for the first time this summer so after giving the jungle its first cut of the year I snuck off to the shed with my goodies and hooked it all up to test it out.

The kit is in as new condition and everything powered up perfectly.

A quick run of a CD confirmed the Sony was working as it should. Not sure if I have any SACD's so will need to have a look to see the difference on how they sound compared to standard CD's

I plugged in my iphone which is loaded with a varied selection of MP3's and keeping the volume low gave it a whirl.

The Celestron wasn't up to much it worked ok but not impressed with the sound. I didn't bother with the Pioneers so no comment on them for the moment. I had a pair of 45W Aiwa shelf speakers and a Mission center speaker so rigged the Aiwas up as rears with the Mission and Wow the sound wasn't half bad. lovely and clear a nice bass coming from the Kefs and a good compliment from the Aiwas and the Mission.

I turned the volume up to around half way and the garden was filled with music. Clear, full bodied and sweet from up close to the other end where the house is. Methinks my thrifty spending has given me a cracking setup for the summer bar b's and when the TT is ready will let it have a chance to see what it can do.

The Yamaha has the option of 5.1 or stereo for the phono use so for now no pre-amp but I'm keeping my eyes peeled should one come up at the right price.

Singlemania45
long player
long player
England

Post by Singlemania45 » 13 May 2012 21:11

kramer wrote:Hi all

Yes, I love my Sansui SC1300. Works well with my Luxman L30 and similar appearance with the rosewood sleeve.

kelvinMunson
long player
long player

Post by kelvinMunson » 13 May 2012 21:30

Have severely p***d off my other half, just taken deliverly of a Sony TC KE400S cassette deck from Ebay for £20.

I have been following the thread on the vinyl paradox etc and I think the sentiment expressed in it also apply to cassette's.

It should not make any sense whatsoever, but I am sitting here listening to my collection of dusty tapes, with a big grin on my face.... must be the analogue effect!

Yes, I have 9 cassette decks currently working. Amongst them are several Yamaha, 2 Marantz, Kenwood and Technics models. I also have several hundred cassetes, made up of my original collection from the 70s plus tapes purchased for pennies from boot sales and some from ebay. I also have a large qty of home recorded tapes (radio and internet mostly).

As a kid I never owned a decent casette deck and I must admit I was very surprised at how good they can sound.

resu

Post by resu » 17 May 2012 23:45

kramer wrote: Anyone else listening their old tape collection here?
ATM not yet but soon. I have to, as I promised to my wife to at last get going with my too long delayed project of digitizing my collection of cassette tapes of my own music. Those tapes are mostly so called artist/perfomer copies that were made for musicians and composers in recording studios before DAT tapes and Cds became available. Most of the music is non-commercial and not available elsewhere. I promised to my wife start *very soon*. Quite a lot of shelf space will be freed when I'm done and those ugly boxes of tapes that are always in wrong places will be at last thrown away, and for ever.
I hope my last Onkyo ctr is still working as well as it used to. Steinberg Wavelab is waiting in one of my music computers. And it works perfectly, I know... :)

Back to the topic:

This week I paid for the AudioMods Series 5 Standard arm for my Technics SL-1200MkII that I ordered some time ago. I hope I get it within next 14 days.

megatrends

Post by megatrends » 18 May 2012 09:49

I have about 600 cassette tapes in my attic in trash bags. I have no idea why I ever wasted money on those when I should have purchased vinyl instead.

My tape deck has a misaligned head so it plays tapes like crap. I need a new deck but never really listen to tapes or want to anymore.

I used to enjoy them so I don't know really. I would love to replace my tapes with records but it would be a lot money for records.

Probably cheaper to buy a new tape deck.

kramer
Great Britain

Post by kramer » 20 May 2012 15:42

Hi

Just taken delivery of these headphones. Very comfortable, sound good too. Anyone else got these?

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/kopfhoerer ... p2110.html

http://www.loudspeaker-reviews.com/revi ... hones-test

http://www.stefan-bloggt.de/test/test-t ... l-massive/

Dr Pan K

Post by Dr Pan K » 20 May 2012 16:48

on a bargain price a pair of industry's standard studio monitors

the well known yamaha ns 10 m studio version

though they sound very clean n crisp i need a pair of new woofers and then i ll restore them to mint condition, probably paint em pearl white too.

some info n pics http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... hans10.htm

pivot
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by pivot » 22 May 2012 01:41

Dr Pan K wrote:.....the well known yamaha ns 10 m studio version

though they sound very clean n crisp i need a pair of new woofers and then i ll restore them to mint condition, probably paint em pearl white too.

If you are a fan of the original sound do keep in mind that the constuction of the woofer, glue seam and all, was unique to this speaker. The links you posted describe this.

I would try to find somebody, they must be out there somewhere, who can restore the woofers you have.

Sold Yamaha when these were current and they were not my favorite BUT if they light your fire - enjoy!!

megatrends

Post by megatrends » 22 May 2012 04:03

Well I went and bought a tape deck today to replace the one I bought for $189 in 1989 ... the heads were misaligned at this point as well as the record side not working. Took it apart and saw worn gear teeth.

So .... today as it would be I saw a Sony tape deck with duel autoreverse and a great deck. I was at a Goodwill Store in Auburn Maine .... paid $4.99 for this tape deck. It works PERFECTLY. I am not really into tapes but this plays them so nicely I may throw one on once in a while that I do not have on vinyl or CD, AS MENTIONED ALREADY ABOVE IN THIS THREAD I have about 600 tapes in the attic .... I don;t understand why i even bought them, I should have stuck to vinyl.

Anyway here it is ...

Tedrick
long player
long player

Post by Tedrick » 22 May 2012 15:20

Just took delivery of a Nakamichi TA-3A receiver to insert into my home office system.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 22 May 2012 16:20

A Denon 3 head cassette deck, to match the one I already have, which runs a little fast, at present.

Also, a Cambridge Audio 640A v2 amplifier, to match the other one I have, so I can drive the Usher 604's from separate amplifiers in biamp mode. They also have a switch for extra speakers, so that I can switch in some ribbon super tweeters. Lovely.

bit of a theme going, here! I have two pairs of speakers (for surround sound) but only one TV. (but two dvd players, two cd players, two tuners and four record decks). Have I a split personality? :D

[ah, but only one DAT player]

Dr Pan K

Post by Dr Pan K » 22 May 2012 17:29

@ kevin
the yamahas came out just because of the price.. my basic speakers are old jbl's and i love em.

i have connected the ns10 studios to my valve phono and SET valve amp and they balance quite well. i think i ll order a new pair of woofers and give them a nice lacquer finish..