What equipment have you bought this week?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
spensar
Canada

Re: What equipment have you bought this week?

Post by spensar » 12 Jan 2020 20:54

hobie1dog wrote:
12 Jan 2020 05:40
Klipsch KG4 for $80
Nice find. Pics :mrgreen:

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 12 Jan 2020 22:55

spensar wrote:
12 Jan 2020 20:54
hobie1dog wrote:
12 Jan 2020 05:40
Klipsch KG4 for $80
Nice find. Pics :mrgreen:
I had a pair before that my wife found at Goodwill for $5 but had to sell them when I got disabled and had to make a house payment. I never was a fan of these speakers because you can close your eyes and pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from and they are a little bit bass shy as well for me. so I spent today cleaning them up and hopefully we'll be able to get about $275 as I did with my last pair and that way I can go out and buy some lot better speakers like my Definitive Technology BP 2000

LN Cree
Netherlands

Post by LN Cree » 13 Jan 2020 21:21

Hi hobie1dog that’s a good deal if they’re in good shape! I had a set for years and still regret selling them. A wolf in sheep’s clothing so to speak; unassuming but great sound. Hope you can enjoy them! Cheers

LN Cree
Netherlands

Post by LN Cree » 13 Jan 2020 21:22

O sorry i take that back :-/

_ITX_
Austria

Post by _ITX_ » 14 Jan 2020 09:56

https://i.ibb.co/Wz4g9JM/IMG-20200109-225359.jpg

Found this late 90s beauty in a thrift shop here in Vienna. It's refurbished and everything works like a charm, even the cassette deck. Since I didn't have any kind of stereo before, and used to plug my turntable into my JBL Flip 4 via aux-cable, this feels like a huge step up and a giant leap towards the hifi-world!

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 14 Jan 2020 13:02

_"" "_... welcome from snowy Minnesota, USA! You have a good plan ahead of you! At work, we have a couple of Sharp speakers, a couple of Samsung speakers hooked up to the Pioneer integrated amp for listening to. Good bass, decent presence (it's work in a warehouse, right?). We may "advance as we get them in...or I'll buy them and take em home... 8) :lol:
Welcome aboard at any rate!

_ITX_
Austria

Post by _ITX_ » 14 Jan 2020 15:21

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome DasherF :D! I was a bit scared to post this here, because I made the mistake of posting the same picture in the "Hifi classics section" of a german Hifi forum, and they pretty much roasted me for that :lol:
(...I'm exaggerating, overall they were pretty nice and polite, but some told me the stereo looks ugly, and the majority agreed that it's too "young" to be considered an actual "Hifi classic"...)

All that aside, I think it's kind of hypocritical for Audio enthusiasts to bash newbies based on their low-end equipment. Like, I don't have 1000s of Euros lying around to buy a Marantz Amp, sure I want a decent device to listen to my music, but you gotta start SOMEWHERE... right? 8)

I'm really happy with my new Technics stereo though. It has everything I need, I especially enjoy the full logic cassette deck with its automatic tray :wink:
The blue light is a nice addition, the flip switches are classy and the whole device feels high quality overall.

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 14 Jan 2020 16:37

_ITX_ wrote:
14 Jan 2020 15:21
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome DasherF :D! I was a bit scared to post this here, because I made the mistake of posting the same picture in the "Hifi classics section" of a german Hifi forum, and they pretty much roasted me for that :lol:
(...I'm exaggerating, overall they were pretty nice and polite, but some told me the stereo looks ugly, and the majority agreed that it's too "young" to be considered an actual "Hifi classic"...)

All that aside, I think it's kind of hypocritical for Audio enthusiasts to bash newbies based on their low-end equipment. Like, I don't have 1000s of Euros lying around to buy a Marantz Amp, sure I want a decent device to listen to my music, but you gotta start SOMEWHERE... right? 8)

I'm really happy with my new Technics stereo though. It has everything I need, I especially enjoy the full logic cassette deck with its automatic tray :wink:
The blue light is a nice addition, the flip switches are classy and the whole device feels high quality overall.
Technics always did make nice stuff and still do thank god, would be a real loss if they left the market as they did a few years ago.

Direct driver
United States of America

Post by Direct driver » 14 Jan 2020 18:09

I finally got a "halfway" decent DAC. An SMSL Sanskrit 10th. This is a vinyl forum, so I'll just leave it at that. :)

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 14 Jan 2020 20:01

Vintage Technics amps are somewhat sleepers IMO.
I'm very happy with my SU-8080 dual mono DC intergrated with two phono pre's.
Like _ITX_ said, feels like quality.

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 15 Jan 2020 05:30

I had a Technics amp years ago. Someone turned it up full at a party and melted the fuses, mind you, it still worked (and still does as far as I know, I eventually gave it away).

Was a nice amp.

DS

_ITX_
Austria

Post by _ITX_ » 15 Jan 2020 08:51

noisefreq wrote:
14 Jan 2020 20:01
Vintage Technics amps are somewhat sleepers IMO.
They really are. Some of them look soooo understated, given their EXCELLENT performance and durability. The SU-810 for example, basically looks like any other cheap no-name amp from the 90s, but it absolutely blew me away when I first heard it. Same goes for my new compact hifi; To hifi enthusiasts, it might look like a toy. But this thing has so much power under its hood, that even my crappy radio-recorded cassette tapes sound like studio recordings! =D>