What equipment have you bought this week?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: What equipment have you bought this week?

Post by lenjack » 02 Jan 2020 22:56

Did the AR require any work? Costly? From the photo, looks good.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 02 Jan 2020 22:59

A present to me from me (Boxing Day sale for all in stock items ,great price)
First new speakers in 10 years! Spendor A7's
Spendor-A7-loudspeaker.jpg
(55.45 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 02 Jan 2020 23:01

They look pretty tall. Could Jimmy Hoffa's body be in one of them?

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 03 Jan 2020 00:33

jd...I'm not real "up" on new gear (seen it, heard it, someday [-o< ...), but may I chime in quoting Spidey...OOOOOO! Looks (and sounds, I bet) SO nice. Wonderful!

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 03 Jan 2020 00:46

lenjack wrote:
02 Jan 2020 22:56
Did the AR require any work? Costly? From the photo, looks good.
I gave $150 for it, and it actually came with the original dustcover, which isn't in too bad of shape. The plastic headshell threads were barely hanging on, so I got a new one. Besides that, I did some routine cleanup and maintenance to both the platter and tonearm bearings. I also removed the tonearm damping pin as most folks do.

The motor needs a hand-start, so I bought a new one, and plan to strip and re-paint the top plate since I'll have to tap new screw holes anyway for the replacement motor. The suspension springs seem fine, but naturally I'll take a close look at those. There are no feet on it, so I'll add those as well.

All that adds up, but I have to say, I love the simplicity and sound of this turntable. Suspended turntable designs have really appealed to me lately.

I know some folks go nuts modding these decks, but I plan on leaving it pretty stock except for the new motor. By the way, I was able to contact Mark Morin via email, and ask him a few questions. He was very polite and accommodating, but eventually he told me that due to health issues, he couldn't correspond any longer. The prognosis is, sadly, not good. :(

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 03 Jan 2020 02:07

Aside from lacking antiskate, the performance, if working properly, will rival that of the best available today.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 03 Jan 2020 02:12

DasherF wrote:
03 Jan 2020 00:33
jd...I'm not real "up" on new gear (seen it, heard it, someday [-o< ...), but may I chime in quoting Spidey...OOOOOO! Looks (and sounds, I bet) SO nice. Wonderful!
Thanks Dasher! Santa was good to me this year :D Here are a couple more pics of the Don Sachs Model 2 in action:
DSachsfront.jpg
(73.20999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
DSachstop.jpg
(65.43000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
You can probably see the little ding on the front-top-right of the chassis. I bought this from the original owner, and he said the ding occurred during shipping. IIRC, Don offered to help resolve, but since it didn't affect playback, the owner decided to keep it as-is...scars and all :wink:

PS Audio stack is underneath, with their S300 class-D power amp on the bottom. In this pic, the PSA Stellar Gain Pre/DAC in the middle was not hooked up. It is a 'stellar' pre-amp (w/DAC) in its own right :lol: Btw, the Don Sachs pre came with a volume remote.

EDIT: Clearly I have some decisions to make on what to keep, and what to sell :-k Also, I need to point out that I am blessed with a very patient wife :D

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 03 Jan 2020 02:24

lenjack wrote:
03 Jan 2020 02:07
Aside from lacking antiskate, the performance, if working properly, will rival that of the best available today.
Totally agree, and it didn't take long to realize 8) Regarding antiskate, I did determine that when zero-balanced, the tonearm wire curvature/coiling (between the tonearm and the chassis) did provide a touch of AS...which is really all you need. When balanced, I can gently blow the headshell towards the middle, and it comes back.

My only gripe is the need for cartridge shimming. I did find an aftermarket replacement headshell that allows for some alignment/adjustment:
ARXA hs.jpg
(42.17 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
But I still had to shim for VTA.

I also want to emphasize your qualification, "if working properly". Proper setup is crucial in getting the best performance from this (and other suspended-chassis) classics. 'Tuning' is the key here.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 03 Jan 2020 03:01

jd said..."EDIT: Clearly I have some decisions to make on what to keep, and what to sell :-k Also, I need to point out that I am blessed with a very patient wife :D"

Yes you are, bless her heart!
Here's my take on the "what to do"...
put the overage in another room, or basement around the workbench, if applicable... \:D/

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 03 Jan 2020 05:41

lenjack wrote:
02 Jan 2020 23:01
They look pretty tall. Could Jimmy Hoffa's body be in one of them?
They ain't tall, they're my brothers! :lol:
They are 934mm high (just over 36 inches).

Ticat
Canada

Post by Ticat » 09 Jan 2020 16:15

Anxiously awaiting a new purchase from VKMusic...Elekit TU 8500 tube (Gold lion ECC81/739) preamp (multiple upgraded parts) and TU 8340 tue (EH EL34) amplifier (again better capacitors and such). I wish I didn't have to wait for them to arrive. I think I prematurely packed up what I was listening to (Morrison mono class A amps and Morrison pre amp on loan from a friend who is still re-building his listening room). I feel like a KID waiting for SANTA to come down the chimney.... 6 more sleeps...

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 09 Jan 2020 17:44

Ticat wrote:
09 Jan 2020 16:15
Anxiously awaiting a new purchase from VKMusic...Elekit TU 8500 tube (Gold lion ECC81/739) preamp (multiple upgraded parts) and TU 8340 tue (EH EL34) amplifier (again better capacitors and such). I wish I didn't have to wait for them to arrive. I think I prematurely packed up what I was listening to (Morrison mono class A amps and Morrison pre amp on loan from a friend who is still re-building his listening room). I feel like a KID waiting for SANTA to come down the chimney.... 6 more sleeps...
Man, tube stuff just gets me giddy. I'm building up to ordering a chifi tube integrated also, just gotta pay off the car first!

Ticat
Canada

Post by Ticat » 11 Jan 2020 00:32

Hey SpyderT.... Best wishes on your tube gear purchase! What ever you chose, I'm sure it'll be good.... 5 more sleeps...

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 12 Jan 2020 05:40

Klipsch KG4 for $80

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jan 2020 15:28

hobie1dog wrote:
12 Jan 2020 05:40
Klipsch KG4 for $80
That sounds like a great deal! =D>