What equipment have you bought this week?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: What equipment have you bought this week?

Post by Alec124c41 » 24 Jun 2018 21:42

The little Heil tweeters sound pretty good, but I had to dial them back a bit to better match the woofers. Still missing good bass, but a twitch of the tone control helps.
I like cheap. :)
If you are building a set of 3-way speakers, you might consider separate woofer, midrange, and tweeter enclosures, so that you can move them. Then you can adjust the phase/transient integration at the listening position easily.

Cheers,
Alec

DJtheAudiophile

Post by DJtheAudiophile » 25 Jun 2018 08:47

Anyone know where I can buy grilles for Marantz Imperial 6-G? Just came across some without any.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 25 Jun 2018 18:39

Hi Alec,

My Tempests do not have a control for the tweeter. They are the 3e models. I think that meant economy. If memory serves there was a regular 3 with a pot. I'm pretty sure mine has a fixed attenuator for the tweets, but it has been a while since I've opened them.
They don't have a huge amount of bass but I bought them over the 10" model because I figured the smaller woofers would disperse better in the mid range, and I was planning a sub-woofer.
The sub is an Electrovoice 30W. I crossed the Tempests at 80 Hz to the 30W which worked well. That was in my old house. Now they are crossed to a pair of 12" ceiling mounted subs also at 80 Hz. I think the 12" subs are more seamless with the Tempests at 80 Hz. 80 Hz is a bit high for a 30W with a first order crossover.

The 30W now resides in my upstairs stereo room ceiling where it will be mated to the AMT1s.
I will cross it at ~ 50 Hz to the 12" woofers in the AMT1s. The 12" woofers will cross to a 6" mid/woofer @ 200 Hz. The mid will cross to the big Heil at 1 KHz. The 6" will be in a sealed box on top of the existing cabinet and the Heil will go in top of it. The original cabinet is a truncated pyramid and I really want to stay with the same motif so I will look for someone more skilled than me to make the boxes. I'm pretty sure I can make a decent rectangular box but blending to the OEM cabinet may be beyond my woodworking skill. All the crossovers will be first order passive high level to start, with the Frankenstien AMT1s driven from my Citation 5 amp. I will leave hooks to bi-amp the AMT1s so I'm seeking a 6" with ~ 94 dB/Watt to match the Heil. If I'm on top of the grass long enough a class A triode amp will drive the Hiel & Mid with the Citation 5 driving the 12". The big 30" monster will be driven by a class AB MOSFET which I built for it years ago.

Phil
Alec124c41 wrote:The little Heil tweeters sound pretty good, but I had to dial them back a bit to better match the woofers. Still missing good bass, but a twitch of the tone control helps.
I like cheap. :)
If you are building a set of 3-way speakers, you might consider separate woofer, midrange, and tweeter enclosures, so that you can move them. Then you can adjust the phase/transient integration at the listening position easily.

Cheers,
Alec

tcolegrove

Post by tcolegrove » 25 Jun 2018 19:38

DJtheAudiophile wrote:Anyone know where I can buy grilles for Marantz Imperial 6-G? Just came across some without any.
Why not just make some? I made a set for the Imperial 7's. Get some decent grill cloth and some fiberboard and glue. It's easy and a great weekend project.

tcolegrove

Post by tcolegrove » 25 Jun 2018 19:42

This past week a pair of Carver Silver 7t monoblocks followed me home. I figured since they were designed to drive the Carver Amazing Loudspeakers that they needed to come with me.

After the weekend of listening I'm very pleased and so surprised at how much more musical they sound than the Yamaha P-2200 did.

\:D/

Gelid
United States of America

Post by Gelid » 30 Jun 2018 08:01

This afternoon I took delivery of an OPPO BDP-83 :D
OPPO BDP-83_01.jpg
OPPO BDP-83_02.jpg
It is immaculate, and in the original packaging.

I am so happy now that I can listen to any disc I own, be it CD, HDCD, SACD... and view the Blu-Ray concert films I bought from the European continent that are region-free. Any player I have owned previously wouldn't play them due to the bonus features being in DVD format.

All audio is being sent through my vintage Pioneer SX-424 stereo receiver and Klipsch R14-M speakers. Small, I know, but a world apart from the speakers in the TV. :D

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Jun 2018 08:48

Gelid wrote:This afternoon I took delivery of an OPPO BDP-83 :D
OPPO BDP-83_01.jpg
OPPO BDP-83_02.jpg
It is immaculate, and in the original packaging.

I am so happy now that I can listen to any disc I own, be it CD, HDCD, SACD... and view the Blu-Ray concert films I bought from the European continent that are region-free. Any player I have owned previously wouldn't play them due to the bonus features being in DVD format.

All audio is being sent through my vintage Pioneer SX-424 stereo receiver and Klipsch R14-M speakers. Small, I know, but a world apart from the speakers in the TV. :D
Very nice, Gelid! A good way to get the best of all possible worlds! That's the thing about blu-ray...You can play a wider variety of discs... :D

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 01 Jul 2018 22:57

IMG_20180701_160515.jpg
Do accessories fall into this category? Went to Needle Doctor yesterday to swap a DN165E for a DN155E that my TKS-55E uses. I got the 165 based on the difference in price, hearing it will fit. Um, no...well, it slid on, but there's a "snap" that assured me that the old one was secure... didn't get that with the 165. It seemed to stick out a little more. Anyway, I swapped it up and picked up an Ortofon universal mount headshell for my Sumiko Pearl cartridge. Hooked it up today and put it on the......(vinyl master?) Technics 1510... just for now...I played Sade's Promise, it is a sweet cartridge! A good choice in spite of my madness with the "Pirates..." theme.
Oh yeah, the Dual 506 sounds really good with the right stylus, too.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Jul 2018 03:58

Sounds fantastic there, Dasher...I'd break it in for a while, enjoy it and see if it gets even better as time goes on! :D

Here's a good song to test it out on! :-k

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Jul 2018 04:03

Keeping with the "pirate" theme, there is this one, too, with a funky edge! 8)

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 02 Jul 2018 04:37

Ah-hah! There's an issue I'd like to address...breaking in a cartridge...is that for Sonic purposes or for the new stylus? Then every new stylus requires break-in, yes? A-a-and for how long, again,?
Thanks for the videos, vm, always fun (especially the Red Skelton's awhile back)!

LeisureHat

Post by LeisureHat » 05 Jul 2018 12:16

I haven't listened to vinyl for a long time & my Pioneer PL-12D deck was producing really a bad hum. After lots of research this week I took delivery of a Technics SL-1210GR & Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge. WOW, even though it is using the phono stage of my 90s Arcam Alpha 5 integrated amp and then to 1970s Wharfedale speakers I am more than happy.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 05 Jul 2018 12:35

LeisureHat wrote:I haven't listened to vinyl for a long time & my Pioneer PL-12D deck was producing really a bad hum. After lots of research this week I took delivery of a Technics SL-1210GR & Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge. WOW, even though it is using the phono stage of my 90s Arcam Alpha 5 integrated amp and then to 1970s Wharfedale speakers I am more than happy.
Nice combo

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 15 Jul 2018 14:02

Saw a Technics SL-5 at an estate sale Friday: $30. Returned Saturday (50% off day), and grabbed it. It is near pristine, but since it lacks a feature or two that I like, I'm going to flip it. I must admit, it sounds excellent. Sorry, no photos, the upload cord for my camera is missing.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Jul 2018 07:05

Well, I guess I should mention my latest find...A Realistic STA-65C receiver...and $40 from my local antique show!

Here's what it looked like in the 1971 Rat Shack catalog!

Look of luxury, indeed! :D

Come to think of it, my Miracord 40a is also in that catalog...Maybe I need some Nova or Optimus speakers to complete another system? :-k